Weight/strength training and calories

Options
How come strength training doesn't burn any calories on this? I know I'm getting a good workout when I'm doing pull ups - my heart rate is up and I'm sweating. it's not the same as when I run, but it's something!

Replies

• Momomiomi
    Momomiomi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know the same. It has to count for plenty. Don't stop, though.
  • MZATM
    MZATM Posts: 34
    Options
    don't know, but I'm intrested in finding out
  • tamarab3
    tamarab3 Posts: 64
    Options
    If you choose strength training in the cardio section, you will get calories burned for it.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I've stopped logging strength...I usually find something in the cardio section to log.
  • amethyst1
    Options
    Enter your strength training under cardio as "strength training" and it will calculate your calorie burn. :smile:
  • kcwonder
    kcwonder Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Under the "Cardiovascular" category, there is a sub-category for "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)." I wish the "Strength Training" section had individual "Calories Burned" estimates for each exercise, but I have not found anything that specific.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    The reason it doesn't list is because, quite frankly, it can't. There's no way to estimate what kind of calorie you are burning during resistance training without knowing too many things about your workout. rest periods, number of sets, weight per set, how it relates to your max lifting capacity, etc. You basically just have to wear a HRM and enter it yourself to get an accurate number.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    The reason it doesn't list is because, quite frankly, it can't. There's no way to estimate what kind of calorie you are burning during resistance training without knowing too many things about your workout. rest periods, number of sets, weight per set, how it relates to your max lifting capacity, etc. You basically just have to wear a HRM and enter it yourself to get an accurate number.

And I'd add to this that a HRM isn't particularly accurate for strength training either, unless you're doing circuit training. I wear and rely on mine on strength days, but my circuit is fast-paced and my HR stays elevated consistently because I take only minimal rests (usually after the dreaded lunges or step-ups).
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    ^^ This, because it makes sense, there really isn't a way to calculate it like He shared *except* individually! HRM's:drinker: