Sleep and weight

Options
I have a conundrum. Burning the candle at both ends due to work and family commitments means I get just under 6 hr sleep on average. For me that doesn't feel like enough and I've read evidence that missed sleep is connected with weight gain due to the tiredness increasing hunger and poor food choices - I do feel hungry all the time but usually have the will power to eat right. At the same time exercise is important to health and general energy levels. To fit in exercise, an earlier wake up would be the obvious approach. So - better to exercise and forfeit more sleep or sleep and forfeit exercise (my job is sedentary and my only exercise these days is walking the dog).

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I would not forego sleep for exercise if you are already short on sleep. Can you fit in activity during some of the family commitments? Or on your work lunch break?
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I think sleep should be your number one priority, before work and family commitments. If you aren't sleeping enough now figure out what in your life you can say no to. Then decide if you can cut back more commitments to fit in exercise.
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replis @enyagoboom and @Need2Exerc1se . I think that you're probably right in that if I look at my day honestly there must be some way to squeeze in exercise without skipping sleep. I'll just have to get creative. I'm not very good with disruptions and distractions so I'll need to find a time without those. Unfortunately, my lunch break is only 30 min and that is usually spent at the desk. I like the idea of body weight exercises which could be done anywhere and so would not require travel to a gym. If I can't find the time during the day though, perhaps even 10 min before work would be better than nothing and as enyagoboom said, it can't hurt to try!

• erizo19
    erizo19 Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I say get your sleep first, and if you cant find time to work out then try to put more exercise into your daily routine in small ways- take the stairs, park in the farthest away spot in the parking lot, if work permits it, look for a standing desk. I love my Fitbit for this because it helps you see how all those small choices over the course of a day can add up.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    As is often stated on this site very little of your weight loss will come from exercise it’s almost all what you eat. So taking weight loss out of the equation and saying exercise simply for the health benefits I think the argument can and should be made that there are more health benefits to being well rested. Sacrificing even further sleep for the sake of your health feels counter productive to me.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    bubaluboo wrote: »
    Unfortunately, my lunch break is only 30 min and that is usually spent at the desk. I like the idea of body weight exercises which could be done anywhere and so would not require travel to a gym.

Do you get any breaks. Look into it, most people are allowed to take breaks they just don't really think to. I figure if my coworkers are allowed to go hang out and smoke for 15 mins why can't I go take a 15 min walk?

Also, just in general, if you are super busy it might be time to take a long hard look at your obligations and consider cutting back on things. Cost/reward, how much time things take and if they are really making your life better? Maybe there isn't anything you can get rid of, but maybe there is? Not saying you have to replace it with exercise, maybe you would choose more sleep instead. Overextended people tend to be stressed out which can also wreak havoc on your health. Make sure you take care of yourself!
  • RonwynAngel
    RonwynAngel Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When I wasn't sleeping well because I slept lighter in case my elderly mother called out to me during the night I ate a lot more carbs. I now mostly get a solid 7 hours and feel much better for it. I am losing weight again. Assess what you are doing and take away things outside your family first, turn your phone off for family time so work doesn't intrude. You've done your eight hours and you'll be back tomorrow to keep on working. They don't own you like a slave. You actually can't do everything so let others help you where needed. Try to do at least one thing you are passionate about. Walk away from your desk at lunchtime and do so for the full 30 minutes. You can walk and eat or have a meal drink at the same time. You will feel and work better if you do.If you have morning and afternoon tea breaks go up and down the stairs a few times. Have a bottle of water that you remember to drink from on your desk at all times. use no digital device for an hour or two before sleep. Step away from the TV; if you miss a program it is not going to kill you. Do all the things you already know will help but haven't implemented yet and do it for 30-60 days; by that time it should be a habit. Look after yourself and you will feel so much better.
  • Metamorph1959
    Metamorph1959 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    There's a new book out by Matthew Walker, PhD, called Why We Sleep that if you were to read, you wouldn't even be asking the question; he really hammers home how essential adequate sleep is for human functioning and is extremely critical of our society's disdain of getting sufficient amounts of it. Yes, get your sleep! It is vitally important to all aspects of your well-being. Lots of good suggestions in the comments above.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    bubaluboo wrote: »
    So - better to exercise and forfeit more sleep or sleep and forfeit exercise

Get your sleep and find another way to fit exercise in...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I would think that enough sleep is good for your overall health and gives you more energy during the day if you are well rested. I don’t see how sleep makes you lose the weight though really.

At least for me, when I am well rested I make better choices and I feel like my willpower is stronger then when I am tired...
  • EPmomdoc
    EPmomdoc Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Btw. Walking the dog counts as exercise - I just went on amazon and bought a stepper for $40 to try at work when I am on conference calls- even if I do it ten minutes twice a day to get off my seat it will be worth it
    I eat lunch at my desk trying to get every 2 HRs even if it’s to go make coffee
  • EPmomdoc
    EPmomdoc Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    There is good medical Research that sleep deprivation affects weight gain- I don’t completely understand it but it affects hormones - glucose regulation etc so I would prioritize sleep and try to get a walk in when u can
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'd go with sleep before exercise. Try and get little extra bits in throughout the day to get your NEAT up. But get that sleep.