What weight is right for me?

Options
I want to know how much weight I should be lifting. Like, how do I know if it is the right amount for what I want to accomplish? I use free weights at home(gym is not an option), and have been doing so fro over a year. I just increased the weight I lift, because I was doing 3 sets of 15-18 reps, but found out that it is more beneficial to do higher weight and lower reps. So, how do I know if the weight is too high, too low, or just right?

Replies

• livingonpurpose77
    livingonpurpose77 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I usually lift enough weight for it to be a struggle by the end of the sets. If I'm not struggling a little then I increase.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I too lift enough weight that by the end, I am struggling to finish. If you can easily lift the weights for the number of reps you do and sets, then you are not challenging your body enough.

As an example, my trainer has me doing a 12-10-8-6 rep scenario. I lift a little less on the 12 reps; then he increases the weight for the next 10 reps; increases the weight again for the 8 reps; and increases more for the 6 reps. In between each set of weight reps, I am doing either push-ups, or jumping rope, or something to keep me going. I'm not entirely sure why he has me on this system, except he has said I am really strong already and just need to burn calories and shape my body.
  • nukehiker
    nukehiker Posts: 457
    Options
    if you are looking to gain muscle mass then normally 6-8 reps with the last 2-3 should be a struggle to complete. If you are toning then 10-12 reps ,with the same as above with the last 2-3 reps.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Enough that you can lift comfortably the whole set but start to struggle toward the end of say, 10-12 reps. Increase reps when it gets a bit comfortable, then increase weight. That's how I do it and I can tell I'm getting stronger and I love lifting heavy. Am nursing shoulder injuries right now and JUST got back into lifting so I'm not lifting as heavy as I was... but back when I was, I was doing seated hammer curls w/ 12.5 lbs for 10 reps, bicep curls I think with 10 lbs for 10 reps, overhead extensions for triceps using 12.5 lbs but only to 6 reps, also did some curls with the cable pulley stuff as well as overhead lifts holding onto either side of a 10 lb weight (at home, I just use a 10 lb dumbbell), etc.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    if you are looking to gain muscle mass then normally 6-8 reps with the last 2-3 should be a struggle to complete. If you are toning then 10-12 reps ,with the same as above with the last 2-3 reps.

Yes this. If you can do more than 8 reps, the weight is too light. If you cannot do 6, it's too heavy. :)