New to shakes

Options
Hi all - I'm sure this has been discussed in various ways before, but I'm totally new to diet shakes or protein shakes or shakes as meals and I'd love to hear about some people's experience with them!

I'm not looking to go on an "all shakes all the time" diet or anything, but I was thinking of investing in some type of shake for the occasional quick breakfast so I don't resort to fast food (or worse, no food). In your opinion, do any of these brands taste better than others?

Also, where's a good place to start in terms of making shakes? Difficulty is that most recipes are fruit based, and I don't like fruit based ones. And there are so many protein powder brands when I go to the store, I usually just get overwhelmed and run away...

I realize there are a lot of questions in this, but any insight is appreciated!

Replies

• TheGreatYaYa
    TheGreatYaYa Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I do a couple of protein smoothies (shakes) that are around 200 calories each, one chocolate and one strawberry that are both delicious, thick, and very filling. They're my own recipes made with whey protein powders. I'll be glad to share my recipes with you if you'd like them. Just let me know.
  • tlcolumb
    Options
    I have bought a product called Vi-Shake nutritional shake., (from Visalussciences.com) Cream flavor. The company is online only. Good stuff. It is in the system already with 2 scoop or packet measurements. All you add is milk, or juice. Easy and tasty!
  • gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I do the Herbalife and I really like it. You cant taste the protein in there and there are a lot of different things you can do with it. All kinds of recipes you can do or you can just do the flavored powder. I make mine with the Almod milk, and you can't tell the difference. Some of them almost taste like a Blizzard from DQ. I've been doing it since the middle of May and have lost about 20 pounds just doing the shakes. Some days I do one for breakfast and one for lunch or just one during the day. Few healthy snacks in between.
  • jillallyn
    Options
    I am using Shakeology. They are amazing. It is a chocolate powder that you can mix with just about anything. My favorite is peanut butter and milk. They keep me full and I have tried just about every shake out there. Message me if you want more info.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I never had shakes until AFTER I joined MFP. I now use whey protein to supplement my protein - especially after a work-out with heavy weights.

Anyhow - most will be fine, but yes, different brands taste differently so find one you like. I like Biochem Sports (sold on Amazon.com). I buy the natural flavor (but vanilla and chocolate fudge are also good).

I like the natural because I can flavor it any way I like. My FAVORITE shake in the world is:

1 scoop protein powder
    1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or you can use skim milk or water or whatever you like)
    1 T of cocoa powder
    2 T of PB2 (powdered peanut butter sold online at www.bellplantation.com)
    2 tsp of sugar (though may not be needed if your protein powder already has sugar in it - mine does not)

Throw in blender. Mixing protein powders with a spoon just doesn't get all the nasty clumps out. You really want to use a blender. :)

It is mmm mmmmm so tasty good! Has protein and FIBER and anti-oxidants! win, win, win!!!!!
  • DollHouseKiera
    Options
    Unless you're looking to bulk up, stay in the 20something gram of protein per shake or less. My daily staple brands are Unjury (Chocolate splendor) and BSN Syntha-6 (Vanilla Ice Cream flavor). If you have a local Vitamin Shoppe or GNC, they might be able to provide you with samples.

Most protein companies will send you samples for free or cheap if you email them or go to the web sites (Nectar protein has a 13 servings for $13 deal, and Chike! has a delicious sample pack for around $6).

I mix mine with unsweetened almond milk for a shake thats about 200 calories.

Crazy add-in options can go from yogurt to fruit to unsweetened malted milk powder or instant coffee. Pretty much watever you feel like adding.

Feel free to send me a message or add me as a friend if you need anything.
  • overachieving
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips!
  • KristaWeiss
    KristaWeiss Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 a.m. every morning to workout before work so I have zero time to eat. I found 2 options that are fantastic and I'm about the most picky eater I know. For a pre-made shake I found one at Sam's Club called Premier that is awesome, 160 cal and 5 carbs- no grit or funky after taste. The other is a powder I get called Unjury that I blend with skim milk and ice for a shake. That one is also no grit or funky after taste and made for people post weight loss surgery.
  • johnkernmusic
    johnkernmusic Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I would say start with a whey isolate protein powder. One that has very little fat and carbohydrates with the protein content roughly 20-30 grams protein. Now for breakfast you could make oatmeal and mix in the protein powder. Chocolate protein tastes really good with it. You can also add in some berries.

If you opt for the shake variety, just take a scoop of the whey isolate protein, some skim milk or water and some frozen or fresh fruit (berries and bananas work nicely). You can either blend that up with ice or blend it as is.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions feel free to ask :)
    you can email me at jkern@live.ca.

Best regards,
    John
  • johnkernmusic
    johnkernmusic Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You could also add yogurt, natural peanut butter, oatmeal and greek yogurt.
  • Ballaholic21
    Ballaholic21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I myself like to use the Muscle Milk Chocolate for when money gets tight, it only runs around $25, but my personal favorite is the Wheybolic 60 From GNC, a little pricey at $60 but with the micronized amino acids I've seen results in a matter of days.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I love food too much to drink my meal...
  • Ballaholic21
    Ballaholic21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love food too but it makes for a great quick snack on the go
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I use a whey protein isolate powder. I get the vanilla kind and I make it after I do weights. I mix it with 1 cup of O.J., 1 cup of ice, 1 small container of strawberry yogurt, and 1 banana. If I'm in a hurry after my work outs and can't do the shake, I grab muscle milk chocolate.
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    I drink vi shape nutritional milkshakes twice a day and lost 54 lbs in 90 days. They are packed with nutrition but only have 90 calories, 1 fat, 7 carbs, 1 sugar. I mix mine in a blender with milk, juice, or coffee, ice and cocoa powder, peanut butter, pudding powder, and/or extract flavors. Only Sweet cream flavor!!!!!!!