Fatty arms !

Options
I lose weight now I’m a Little flabby ughh! I need some good ideas, excercise’s on how to get rid of them please!!!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Exercises don't target fat or skin, sorry. Keep losing overall fat. The loose skin might snap back on its own within 2 years.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I disagree with @Cherimoose. Keep losing weight. Yoga, Pilates, push-ups, maybe a Les Mills BodyPump class, some free weights - all these can help you improve strength and toning. Your arms will look better than if you just laid around for two years waiting for your skin to magically snap back. Just sayin’.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Exercise improves the substructure that skin hangs off (ugh that sounds aweful) and posture.
    This can make one look better.

Exercise improves circulation and cell turnover which, along with adequate protein, may give your skin the best genetic chance of recovery.

Exercise does not target fat or skin.

Cheers, h.

This^^ I improved my arms alot. Keep losing if you need to. Keep exercising to improve you arm structure--especially weights. Now, you don't say how much loose skin you have. If it's not alot, it'll re-enter by itself in time. If you've got alot of loose skin, do the above and see how much it improves--give it a year at least. You may have to have the excess surgerically removed after. So many things enter in here--genetics, age, activity, weight lost, etc. You can improve things so don't give up--ever.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    You may not be able to help baggy skin but you can full it with muscle! As soon as I lose my arm definition my arms start to look chubby again!
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping training to do a chin up will help anyhow.
  • Momepro
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Be careful with the arm thing: Be sure you know what you have. I see soooo many women who hold their arms out straight in relaxed fashion & move them back and forth, and call anything that moves "ugly" "fat" "loose skin" on their upper arms.

No.

Before you do that, bend your arms upward, curl your wrists a bit, tighten your triceps (the muscles on the back of your upper arms) and generally flex like a body-builder. Make sure those muscles on the upper back of your arm are as tightly engaged as you can get them. Now move your arms around, staying flexed. Whatever moves now might be loose skin or fat (it may also be that you're not very adept at flexing like a body-builder. ;) ).

Relaxed triceps, even on quite fit women, are somewhat mobile. If it isn't floppy when you tighten everything up, it isn't loose skin or fat, it's triceps. You can also check by holding on to the "flap" on one side with the other hand, then tightening up the side you're holding. If you feel it tightening up, it's a relaxed muscle, not fat or skin.

There are way too many women in the world mis-identifying their relaxed muscles as "ugly" "fat" "bat-wing" "chicken-wing" "flaps", and disliking the muscles that help them move. Be sure you're not doing that!

Beyond that, keep working out, especially strength exercises, and getting to a healthy body weight, to improve the rest. If there's loose skin involved, it can take some time to shrink back, even after the weight loss.

(Even at age 62, my loose skin has kept slowly shrinking, even now into my 2nd year of maintenance. Also, if there's still some meaningful amount of subcutaneous fat there, if will conspire with gravity to keep the skin from shrinking much, so the continuing weight loss matters.)

The whole process isn't super-speedy, but it works.

I work with preschoolers, and they are often very impressed by my "giant" muscles. I gave up feeling embarrassed, and find it is a GREAT opportunity to teach the importance of healthy exercise and eating, along with the difference between thier strong muscles and my wobbly muscles. Plus little kids think it's really amusing to watch their teacher flapping thier flabby arms around :p:p
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,406 Member
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    Be careful with the arm thing: Be sure you know what you have. I see soooo many women who hold their arms out straight in relaxed fashion & move them back and forth, and call anything that moves "ugly" "fat" "loose skin" on their upper arms.

No.

Before you do that, bend your arms upward, curl your wrists a bit, tighten your triceps (the muscles on the back of your upper arms) and generally flex like a body-builder. Make sure those muscles on the upper back of your arm are as tightly engaged as you can get them. Now move your arms around, staying flexed. Whatever moves now might be loose skin or fat (it may also be that you're not very adept at flexing like a body-builder. ;) ).

Relaxed triceps, even on quite fit women, are somewhat mobile. If it isn't floppy when you tighten everything up, it isn't loose skin or fat, it's triceps. You can also check by holding on to the "flap" on one side with the other hand, then tightening up the side you're holding. If you feel it tightening up, it's a relaxed muscle, not fat or skin.

There are way too many women in the world mis-identifying their relaxed muscles as "ugly" "fat" "bat-wing" "chicken-wing" "flaps", and disliking the muscles that help them move. Be sure you're not doing that!

Beyond that, keep working out, especially strength exercises, and getting to a healthy body weight, to improve the rest. If there's loose skin involved, it can take some time to shrink back, even after the weight loss.

(Even at age 62, my loose skin has kept slowly shrinking, even now into my 2nd year of maintenance. Also, if there's still some meaningful amount of subcutaneous fat there, if will conspire with gravity to keep the skin from shrinking much, so the continuing weight loss matters.)

I work with preschoolers, and they are often very impressed by my "giant" muscles. I gave up feeling embarrassed, and find it is a GREAT opportunity to teach the importance of healthy exercise and eating, along with the difference between thier strong muscles and my wobbly muscles. Plus little kids think it's really amusing to watch their teacher flapping thier flabby arms around :p:p

I'm still worried that my point may not be crystal clear. What women think is floppy (in one position) isn't so floppy in reality. Muscles in relaxation aren't necessarily tight/hard. They're still muscles, not fat. And they're not necessarily weak, or substandard.

I can hold my arm in a way that the upper arm will wobble and flop quite a lot. In a properly tightly flexed position, the same arm will barely wobble at all.
  • Momepro
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »

No.

I'm still worried that my point may not be crystal clear. What women think is floppy (in one position) isn't so floppy in reality. Muscles in relaxation aren't necessarily tight/hard. They're still muscles, not fat. And they're not necessarily weak, or substandard.

I can hold my arm in a way that the upper arm will wobble and flop quite a lot. In a properly tightly flexed position, the same arm will barely wobble at all.

True, but my wobbly "muscles" are AFTER they are flexed tightly. THAT'S what I'm able to demonstrate to the littles, because for most of them in the same position, or with people in better shape, there is much more firmness and much less wobble.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Blondie - The skin should tighten up with time - you are young , that will help - mean while keep working out - get on a weight training program like Starting Strength, Strong Curves , or GreySkull and follow it 3X per week - you will be amazed after a few months - Eastcoast Jim