Intermittent Fasting

Options
What do you all think about intermittent fasting?
Here is my schedule:

Wake Up
No breakfast (Black Coffee only)
Lunch at 11AM
Dinner at 5:15PM
No snacking
Bed

I eat all of my calories for the day between 11am-5:15pm in the day. This gives my body 17 hours of fasting through the night/morning hours.

Is this a healthy way to do it? I have been seeing good results, it only takes a day or two to get used to.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's healthy if you like it and if you get in all the nutrition you need and don't overeat, both short term and long term. But you're techincally eating breakfast at 11; breaking your fast isn't magic, breakfast is the first meal of the day.
  • CallMeRu
    CallMeRu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you're eating more so than when you're eating it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    danrhess wrote: »
    AnvilHead, Isn't eating meant to fuel the body? Eating a large dinner at 7:30 doesn't seem smart. I go to bed around 9:30... not leaving my body much time to use that food. Maybe it will be stored if the carbs aren't used initially?... You're stomach never rests, but if there is nothing in it... the body will pull from other places (fat, muscle) for the energy....

The majority of the energy that your body consumes isn't coming directly from your digestion process. The majority of food you consume goes through a series of steps before being expended. Simple sugars will convert quickly, but more complex sources will take a significant period.

Fwiw, from a personal perspective I'll generally breakfast at 0700, lunch about 1230 a snack about 1700 and my dinner between 2000 and 2100. That's largely driven by my work and training schedule.
  • 01189998819991197253Z
    Options
    I don't consider this intermittent fasting. I belive in the general idea. I do somthing similar, it's just a slightly different way of getting your calories. I sort of look at it like metabolic confusion same ascalorie shifting. A proven method of weight loss. But im not a fan of this short cycle intermittent fasting.

You do realise that even just goingto bed at a night and not eating is a fast don't you?

That is why the first time you eat each day is called breakfast.

I do 16:8 apparently, I used to just call it skipping breakfast but we live in an age where every way of eating is being given some label or other.

Yes wich is why i say im not a fan of this short cycle "intermittent" fasting. It's not really fasting.

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I don't consider this intermittent fasting. I belive in the general idea. I do somthing similar, it's just a slightly different way of getting your calories. I sort of look at it like metabolic confusion same ascalorie shifting. A proven method of weight loss. But im not a fan of this short cycle intermittent fasting.

You do realise that even just goingto bed at a night and not eating is a fast don't you?

That is why the first time you eat each day is called breakfast.

I do 16:8 apparently, I used to just call it skipping breakfast but we live in an age where every way of eating is being given some label or other.

Put anouther way I don't consider *this* intermittent fasting because it's not significantly different from a "normal" cycle of gain/burn. The idea is to create a state of metabolic confusion.

I feel a bit dense, but what's "metabolic confusion"?