How long did it take you guys?

Options
Hey! To all those people who have lost weight with MFP, how much weight did you lose weekly? Did you exercise initially? Did you set goals for yourself? Were there times when you got frustrated with calorie counting but had to continue? Comment down below because I'd really like to hear how things went for everyone, and I don't mind detailed comments so don't hesitate!
Thankss.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Hey! To all those people who have lost weight with MFP, how much weight did you lose weekly? It varied. Water weight plays too big a factor for my weight loss to be a steady downward trend.

Did you exercise initially? Yes. Strength training. Prior to that I was running.
    Did you set goals for yourself? Yes. To compete in powerlifting.
    Were there times when you got frustrated with calorie counting but had to continue? Yes. When I tried not counting calories, I gained.
    Comment down below because I'd really like to hear how things went for everyone, and I don't mind detailed comments so don't hesitate!
    Thankss.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Hey! To all those people who have lost weight with MFP, how much weight did you lose weekly?
    1lb / week initially to get to my original goal weight. Even slower to fine tune my maintenance weight. I wasn't in a rush.

Did you exercise initially?
    Yes lots, cardio and strength training. But I also exercised when I was fat. Main weight loss benefit from exercise was that I could eat a reasonable amount of food while still maintaining an appropriate calorie deficit. My exercise has only increased despite being at maintenance for years - I enjoy it and the results it gives me.

Did you set goals for yourself?
    Yes lots, mostly fitness and strength based. I thrive on goals.

Were there times when you got frustrated with calorie counting but had to continue?
    I get bored and frustrated by everyday calorie restriction so I picked an eating pattern that involved two days a week with big deficits and five days with no deficit which suited me.

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    How much weight did you lose weekly? I averaged a little under a pound per week over my entire weight loss. I lost far more rapidly in the beginning and slowed down to a crawl as I got closer to my goal, though, so I don't think that pace is a good reflection of how it actually happened.
    Did you exercise initially? I was doing very light and haphazard exercise before committing to losing weight. I'd completed C25K a few years earlier, injured my knee, and let that scare me out of running again for another year. I also played quidditch (though we weren't very athletic) and I had taken yoga and pilates classes. However, I did not have anything like the level of fitness I wanted to have--in fact, I was not very fit at all. When I started MFP, I also got serious about running again. Running is now my primary exercise.
    Did you set goals for yourself? My big goal was always to lose 100 pounds. It was a nice round number that would also put me in the middle of my optimal BMI range. Mini-goals were 10 pound increments: getting to 210, then 200, etc. I also had running goals. I wanted to run a 10K, and then a half marathon. I've accomplished all of those things (and am currently looking for my fifth half marathon). Edit: I also wanted to not need any more medication. I was on prescriptions for high cholesterol, high triglycerides, and insulin resistance. I stopped needing all of those after I'd lost about 50 pounds.
    Were there times when you got frustrated with calorie counting but had to continue? I'm not sure that I got frustrated per se, since I really like data. It was frustrating for my husband because I no longer wanted to go out for high-calorie food very often. I couldn't just have pizza on the spur of the moment because I wouldn't have enough calories for something like that unless I'd planned for it in advance. We had to compromise on things like planning meals out in advance, having higher-calorie meals on my running days, and limiting the number of times per week that we went to restaurants.
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    1 I lost about 10 kilos in just over 3 months. I lost more than a kilo a week when I counted calories. I plateaued when I ate more than I should! I switched to maintenance mode over Xmas and the new year but am starting back on reduced calories this week.
    2 I walk most days. Initially I would do it to earn calories for snacks but now I enjoy it. I added Nordic walking sticks to get more of an upper body workout. I walk for 30 to 60 minutes and often listen to podcasts.
    3 I set a goal initially to drop my bmi from obese to overweight. That was about 10kg of required weightloss. My next goal is smaller - about 3kg - which I hope to lose in a month. Then I'll set another 3kg mini-goal etc until I reach goal.
    4 I struggled to stick to my diet for months. It was so hard in the early days and i felt so desperate. I watched an obesity documentary on YouTube every day for at least the first month, to remind myself of where I was heading if I didn't do something about my weight. I kept making adjustments to make it all easier: slow cooker meals so I could eat the same low cal meals repeatedly, yummy recipes, saving calories for snacks I craved, doing high fat low carb to help with cravings, finding snacks that would satisfy me. I even researched what fast food i could fit into my plan. I don't find it hard to stick to my diet anymore. I'm now trying intermittent fasting (16:8 schedule) so I have more calories left at night because I like to snack in the evenings. I've realised that I have to make my plan fit me, not the other way around. I'm in smaller jeans and they're even a little baggy now. I've still got a way to go but I finally believe I can do this.
  • carasnewlife
    carasnewlife Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    1 - in the beginning I lost about 2-3 lbs in a week, but I had a lot to lose. Now I'm losing 1-2 lbs in a week. In 4 months I have lost 50 lbs (cw 220 lbs, sw in September 2017 270 lbs)
    2 - at first I tried to walk more (thank god for my dog), then I tried pilates (in October) and fell in love with it
    3 - I do have a goal weight, but this time I'm trying to think about this more as a lifestyle change and less as reaching a specific goal. So weightloss and smaller clothes are like bonuses and not something to achieve.
    4 - I finally realized that I dont have to. I want to. Sure there have been tough moments, but I try to keep in mind my reasons for changing my life. If I want to eat more - I am more active. If a situation is causing stress (which in my case leads to overeating) - I leave.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I lost an average of 5 pounds a month- probably a little more the first month because the first week I lost more water weight. I did exercise but not excessively at first. I started lifting weights 3x a week a few months into my weight loss. My goal was to lose 55 pounds and it took me about a year and a half to do it. I did get frustrated at times. I also hit plateaus a few times as well and had to do different things to break them- adding intensity to exercise, adding intervals to exercise, and finally not eating back any of my exercise calories to lose those last 5 pounds. I wish I could say I have maintained but since meeting my goal in spring 2016 I have gained a bit back. It's very hard to maintain- harder than losing because you don't want to keep losing so you try to eat a bit more, and you don't want to gain - and you don't have that emotional high you get from losing a little week to week. So I'm back onto seriously logging in order to lose the 12 pounds I have put back on since then due to holiday eating, etc. The key is to not ignore the fact that your clothes are getting tighter and get back on it when you do gain a bit. My goal is to stay within a 5 pound range.

Probably the most life changing thing I've done is to invest in a recumbent trike. My husband and I both ride 3-4 times a week on rail trails because it is a safe, fun way to exercise and much more fun than working out at the gym. The other thing is that with the advent of smart phones and Netflix, the gym experience is much more enjoyable as I can put on a show and lose myself in it while I pedal away on the days it's too cold to ride outdoors.
  • shakenbake57
    shakenbake57 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @dramaqueen45 "The key is to not ignore the fact that your clothes are getting tighter and get back on it when you do gain a bit." Spoke to me. You are spot on! I'm learning not to wait for a specific # on the scale to push me into action, but being aware of the little changes a few pounds can make.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I started several years ago. I started at 257 lbs and wanted to get back down to 180ish. I exercised and hired a personal trainer for a year or two and got down to maybe 220. Then I went on maintenance for a year and a half or so and maintained my weight, mostly. Some months ago I decided to start losing again - I put about 10 lbs back on again because I wasn't watching the scale - it doesn't take much of a calorie excess to start putting weight on slowly as the months go by. This tells me I have to watch the scale and reduce my intake if it starts going up again.- at present I'm around 197. My goal is still around 180ish, but it gets a lot slower when you have less to lose. I want to get back in the gym again for strength training and to help burn more calories.

I strongly believe setting date goals (X pounds by such and such a date) is pointless, and can be counterproductive. Having kept the weight off is a huge positive since it showed me I could succeed in maintenance - which is where I always got into trouble before. What I've learned over the decades is: diets don't work in the long haul, you have to decide to make a permanent change to a healthy lifestyle to make any changes permanent. Success has more to do with psychology than with "metabolism".
  • TeamNemesisSteve
    TeamNemesisSteve Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have lost 54 total pounds in one year (36 with MFP). It was very slow coming off with trying to cut back on eating and choosing better options but the second Half of the year was more revealing as I kicked the exercises up quite a bit. I’m now down to the weight I weighed at 18yrs old. 185 pounds. I’m in the best physical condition of my life. MFP has helped me tremendously because of like minded people with the same goals.
  • 147Me
    147Me Posts: 25 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    How much weight did you lose weekly?

It varied, a lot.
    But, this was about life-long change for me, therefore I wasn't as concerned about speedy results I could see from week to week.

For the first 5 months, I lost about 10lbs a month... so, about 2lbs per week.
    Then it took me another year to lose 20lbs more, with lots of fluctuations along the way.
    After that, it took me another 8 months to lose an additional 25lbs.

Definitely not!
    I have psoriatic arthritis and exercise (of any kind, including no-impact exercise) would inflame and damage my joints.

The only physical activity I could realistically do (until I had lost around 70-ish pounds) was stretching... The kind of stretching where you hold each position for about 8-10 minutes.

Now that I am down just over 90lbs, I walk most days for 60-90 minutes. (Not all at once though!).

My first goal was to get to the weight I am now by maintaining daily caloric goals. I knew I would feel so much better (physically) once I had, and I did.

My next major goal is to lose a bit more weight and slowly start building up my cardiovascular endurance. I am already fairly muscular, so I'll be aiming to maintain that.

Were there times when you got frustrated with calorie counting but had to continue?

In the beginning it was very difficult (first 3 months).
    I had trouble believing that I could do it and that my effort would be worth it.

It's a lot different when you have 100+ lbs to lose: It's nothing like losing 20lbs or 50lbs simply because losing 100+ takes more than a few months of stellar diet and exercise to achieve it.

For me, it required a complete attitude change...
    and enduring patience towards myself...
    combined with lasting determination to always stay committed to those original goals.
    It's a years-long process, so the commitment had to be there for me to succeed.

And, there have been periods when it took everything I had just to maintain what I had already lost.

Yes, there are times when calorie counting is a serious pain in the behind. But... it works!
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hey! To all those people who have lost weight with MFP, how much weight did you lose weekly?
    I've been losing about 1.5-3 lbs a week, my calories are set to 1200. I originally started my weight loss journey a few years ago at 250lbs, lost 40 without counting calories (LOTS of exercise and cut soda cold turkey), but the weight started to creep back up again. Discovered MFP in October 2017 at 235lbs, so far lost 25lbs and STILL losing- even faster when I initially started on my own!

When I started MFP I exercised somewhat- only at first to get extra calories so I could eat more, then didn't exercise for a while, now going back to doing it for my own mental/emotional health.

not really at first, wanted to see if CICO even worked, (it DOES btw) now I'm setting mini-goals because I know I can accomplish them

at first because I set the bar too low, but then I got into a groove and now it's not so hard to meet or be under my daily requirement. I also don't have the irrational fear that one day I'll wake up and be 250lbs again. Even if my weight fluctuates, I know overall it's on a steady decline.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!