Meds and weight loss

Options
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone else was on Paxil or Wellbutrin and if they have had success losing weight? Part of my issie with losing weight is that I think that I can't because of the meds I'm on and then I get discouraged and stop trying when I don't see results.

Replies

• adetrini
    adetrini Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That's so good to hear! Congratulations on ur weight loss. I'm hoping to lose 60 pounds. It gives me hope that I can be successful.
  • ZhivagosGirl
    ZhivagosGirl Posts: 161 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm on 450 mg of Welbutrin and I'm down 64 lbs. Welbutrin is actually one of the "pro" weight loss meds.

ETA: Here's a good table that shows what various psych meds do. https://pro.psychcentral.com/how-to-help-your-patients-lose-weight/002215.html
  • kaybear128
    kaybear128 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This makes me feel better. I’m taking 10mg of lexapro and have gained weight on this. I’m hoping to lose about 70lbs on this.
  • hannamarie0098
    hannamarie0098 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I lost over 90 lb whilst taking citalopram. I don’t think it had any effect, either good or bad, on my weight.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    There are very few drugs which cause weight gain; most of the notorious ones cause an increase in appetite. It's ultimately up to you whether you have the will power to resist the side effect. You control what your hand puts into your mouth, not the drug. I lost 112lbs whilst on a drug notorious for causing increased appetite. Like others have said - it can be done.
  • ciaraos27
    ciaraos27 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Since taking citalopram (1.5years) I've gained 10kg! I've really cleaned up my diet and exercise more than ever yet the weight keeps rising The weight in particular is going to my stomach. It's really getting to me now. Anyone else had similar experience? My doctor a few months back said it was in my head but the weight gain is there!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    kaybear128 wrote: »
    This makes me feel better. I’m taking 10mg of lexapro and have gained weight on this. I’m hoping to lose about 70lbs on this.

I lost about 100# while on Lexapro, I've gained some back, but that's my fault, not the Lexapro
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I maintained my weight for many years on Prozac and Lexapro, and am losing now while on Wellbutrin and Prozac. I've actually found it easier to lose since starting Prozac again, as my anxiety is under much better control and I don't find myself wanting to self-medicate with food and alcohol as much. Plus I can focus on productive things instead of the crushing weight of my shortcomings! I can't even imagine trying to lose weight if my depression wasn't under control.

As others have mentioned, medications can effect your appetite, but you can absolutely still lose weight the same way as everyone else. Assuming your prescription is otherwise working for you, I'd give weight loss a good shot before changing that up. Look to meal timing (eating more or less often), macro balance (what kind of foods fill you up), meal size, and even exercise to help manage your appetite. You CAN do this - good luck!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm maintaining/ losing a bit at bmi 19 on mirtazipine which is notorious for making you ravenously hungry
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    ciaraos27 wrote: »
    Since taking citalopram (1.5years) I've gained 10kg! I've really cleaned up my diet and exercise more than ever yet the weight keeps rising The weight in particular is going to my stomach. It's really getting to me now. Anyone else had similar experience? My doctor a few months back said it was in my head but the weight gain is there!

I also gained a fair bit of weight on Citalopram, at least 15 lbs. I am slowly trying to wean myself off it now in hopes that will help with my weight loss. I have cut about 1,000 calories a day from my diet since the end of December but have only lost 3 lbs, so am increasing my exercise, sharpening up my eating and trying to get off this stuff.

Do you find you have crazy dreams while taking it? I have long, vivid and stupid dreams that go on all night. They are worse now that I am cutting back on the meds, but I've had them the entire time I've been on it (about 2.5 years).
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I'm on Topiramate for migraines and it is supposed to crush your appetite and help with weight loss but I haven't had any issues. I'm not sure if it just doesn't bother me (not a side affect) or I'm just so used to looking at my numbers and eating to that amount (been maintaining for several years).
  • vikingwanderer
    vikingwanderer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm on flunarizine for vestibular migraines head them for three years now. Worried about lifting weights too
  • thrashersara88
    thrashersara88 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest pill popping to lose weight, I don't think anyone would. Are you going to take these pills for the rest of your life just to keep the weight off? Because once you hit your goal weight and stop taking it and eat normal, even if mindful, you will gain weight back and you will probably consider using the pills again....Its a cycle. Find a healthier and more sustainable way to lose the weight.

Welbutrin' s primary use is for depression. Welbutrin is known to be a great option for people who have gained a lot of weight on other ADs. I think what the original post meant was that they are feeling frustrated because their current drug is making weight loss difficult for some reason, (appetite increase or fatigue maybe? ) and they are looking to switch to a drug that has less of an effect.

Welbutrin is a wonderful option. There is less of a problem with increase in appetite and energy levels with it than some other AD drugs. If a person HAS to be on this type of medication. Why shouldn't they look for the one that best suits them? After all they are under a doctor's care and who are we to judge? Everyone has the right to do what they need to do to live their best life!

I am a little disappointed in the negativity in this thread. Let's lift each other up and encourage rather than make assumptions!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest pill popping to lose weight, I don't think anyone would. Are you going to take these pills for the rest of your life just to keep the weight off? Because once you hit your goal weight and stop taking it and eat normal, even if mindful, you will gain weight back and you will probably consider using the pills again....Its a cycle. Find a healthier and more sustainable way to lose the weight.

They're not weight loss pills, they're antidepressants

dude. they are antidepressants prescribed by a doctor. not diet pills :/
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm on Paxil and yes it can make you gain some and is a bit harder to lose it, per my doctor. My daughter lost while on Wellbutrin because it cut her appetite somewhat.

However, don't choose an antidepressant based on other people's weight gain or loss. Every antidepressant affects your brain chemistry differently and only your doctor can tell you which type you need specifically.