Fell off the wagon and looking to climb back on!

Options
I started my lifestyle change 3 years ago when I was 320 pounds at 18 and lost 130 pounds and got down to 180. Since then, I’ve struggled immensely sticking to a plan and have gained weight back. Trying to get in it and was wondering if anyone has any tips regarding how to get on track again, and how to stick to it. Thank you!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Find out what is was that made your plan difficult to stick to, and do something different.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    It's something that has to be done fairly consistently, but not perfectly.

Special occasions are just that. Special. Not every day.

Log food every day until you are sure you understand portion sizes.

Jump on the body-weight scale at least once a week. Adjust food as needed.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Make tweaks that are sustainable to your life
    On special occasions plan to eat more and then once the event is over go back to eating your normal way and living your normal life

I started at 387lb and am down 150+ 1lb so far

I enjoyed Christmas and new year, ate a little of what I wanted then went back to the daily habits I have for my eating/exercise
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Oh and kitchen food scales for me are a must. I can't eyeball portions so I weigh everything
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    log and get junk food out of the house
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I started my lifestyle change 3 years ago when I was 320 pounds at 18 and lost 130 pounds and got down to 180. Since then, I’ve struggled immensely sticking to a plan and have gained weight back. Trying to get in it and was wondering if anyone has any tips regarding how to get on track again, and how to stick to it. Thank you!

Maintaining weight loss is a huge challenge for most people. The tip to get back on track again is to start logging your food, set a reasonable deficit, and take it a day at a time. Setting small, interim goals can be helpful. Your maintenance plan has to be reasonable and custom-made for you. Planned diet breaks, where you eat at current maintenance for a couple of weeks, can be really helpful in learning what will work for you over the long-haul.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I slip up a lot but always catch myself before things get too bad and am able to get back on track. I kind of allow myself a window of about 20 lbs to play with. When I reach the upper limit, I buckle down again and recommit to the effort and dedication necessary.
    You mention that you have put some back on but didn't indicate how much? Hopefully you remember the desire and discipline you had to get back on track. Maintenance is tough because the reward of seeing weight drop off isn't there.

• pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    First it happens to all of us from time to time.If you already had success i say go back to the way you were at that time. Give your body time to adjust to the restart and things should get back to where they were before.

Mine is logging foods and staying within the calories given and getting my butt to the gym more.I slacked off as well in December on both fronts and gained 5lbs+- and it's time to get it going again.

Most important is to never give up even when you fall off the wagon a while get back on.
  • TylerWhiite
    TylerWhiite Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much, all great info and I appreciate the time you all took to post. It’s definitely been a huge struggle with me. After losing 130 pounds, I was still not happy with my body and eventually fell into binge eating for 2017. I hover around 195-200 pounds so gained a fair amount, but I did gain some muscle as well. I just need to get focused and motivated again!
  • mlbh613
    mlbh613 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It is helpful to read everyone's comments....I am so tiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrreeeddd of yo yo dieting. I tried a particular vegan plan in August because I saw the fabulous results my friends were able to achieve and for 5 or 6 weeks I was happy and contented with the food preparation etc. and lost 10 #s in first month....then....not sure which buttons I pushed but fell off. Got back on in mid November and back down to the original 10# loss and then.....again....sabotaged myself and started binge eating. I just can't 'catch' myself in the fall and still can't figure out what it is BEFORE the fall that triggers this pattern. Thanks for letting me vent. :) Wishing everyone success and perseverance.....don't give up (I'm talking to myself too).
  • TylerWhiite
    TylerWhiite Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    mlbh613 wrote: »
    It is helpful to read everyone's comments....I am so tiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrreeeddd of yo yo dieting. I tried a particular vegan plan in August because I saw the fabulous results my friends were able to achieve and for 5 or 6 weeks I was happy and contented with the food preparation etc. and lost 10 #s in first month....then....not sure which buttons I pushed but fell off. Got back on in mid November and back down to the original 10# loss and then.....again....sabotaged myself and started binge eating. I just can't 'catch' myself in the fall and still can't figure out what it is BEFORE the fall that triggers this pattern. Thanks for letting me vent. :) Wishing everyone success and perseverance.....don't give up (I'm talking to myself too).

Literally the EXACT same as me. Suffered from losing then gaining and just not going anywhere due to binge eating. I know my binge eating is fueled by my negative self image. Just have to learn to be happy with who I am and work hard to improve myself. I also have an issue comparing myself to others which is something I need to stop. But definitely never going to give up and going to stay motivated and keep a positive mindset throughout!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I love this post. I went from 213 to 146.5....over two years ago and now I am at 183. I know exactly what happened. I quit logging in. Thanks for your post it is motivating for me to read all the comments.
  • mlbh613
    mlbh613 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ok gals and guys.....WE CAN DO IT !! No matter how many 'agains' it takes. This time I have you...maybe that will make the difference. Thanks for being here.