Intermittent fasting / weight training

Options
Hello guys :) I’m interested in doing intermittent fasting the 16/8 approach and was wondering if weighting training while in a fasted state is wise and will i lose muscle if I do so? I’m not a massive morning eater and always feel bloated/sick when I train and have food in my stomach. My plan is hitting the gym about 10am as I like training at the time as the gym not so busy then breaking my fast about 1-2pm that ok? Appreciate some feedback guys. Thanks.

Replies

• DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I've heard about the intermittent fasting for a while now and have not paid any attention to it. But there may actually be something to this. When I lost most of my weight I didn't have my first food of the day until noon because I found that it was easier to control my appetite. So without knowing it I was actually fasting for about 14 hours. I'm gonna try the 16/8 approach starting today. Found this link today, apparently intermittent fasting promotes muscle growth.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-guide
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    DerekVTX wrote: »
    I've heard about the intermittent fasting for a while now and have not paid any attention to it. But there may actually be something to this. When I lost most of my weight I didn't have my first food of the day until noon because I found that it was easier to control my appetite. So without knowing it I was actually fasting for about 14 hours. I'm gonna try the 16/8 approach starting today. Found this link today, apparently intermittent fasting promotes muscle growth.

make sure you eat enough protein or you will lose muscle.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    DerekVTX wrote: »

make sure you eat enough protein or you will lose muscle.

How does eating protein preserve muscle mass in the absence of weight training? Just curious.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    RynQ87 wrote: »
    Hello guys :) I’m interested in doing intermittent fasting the 16/8 approach and was wondering if weighting training while in a fasted state is wise and will i lose muscle if I do so? I’m not a massive morning eater and always feel bloated/sick when I train and have food in my stomach. My plan is hitting the gym about 10am as I like training at the time as the gym not so busy then breaking my fast about 1-2pm that ok? Appreciate some feedback guys. Thanks.

No, not eating for 16 hours during a day is not really a big deal and won't require that you act differently than you otherwise would or avoid exercise.

You may find it helpful to consume something soon after, so time your workout that way, or you may find you perform better if you have something to eat not long before, but that's personal preference. If you were going to do two workouts you recover better for the second one if you refuel some, but assuming it's nothing specific like that meal timing should not matter.

No, you won't lose muscle.
  • sherryryals
    sherryryals Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hi, Ryn!!!

I am actually practicing intermittent fasting while eating a high fat low carb diet. I work out early in the morning (in a fasted state) and my results have been pretty amazing. [edited by mods]

Good luck, hon!

Sherry

By the way, I am under the supervision of doctors, nutritionists and workout experts, and the process has been so educating. :smile: