Any one with an injury?

Options
Hey beautiful humans, I'm Ace. I recently had spine surgery. It was something that was controlling my life for 2 years, a definite sh*tshow. Now I'm out of pain, but can't exercise until Feb,8.(like hardcore beast). But!! I'm not letting that get me down! I have been on a strict diet and I have been finding and researching ways to work out without adding stress on my spine. It looks like a form of stretching. And since I have no weight to work with, I tend to do these exercise stretches for a long time. Gaining muscle endurance that I had lost from recovery period. I wanted to know if any of you had or have injuries? If so how are you dealing with it? Any tips? Or if you need any advice I might have some. Have a good day everyone!

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    can't comment . . . personally, i think if someone had just been inside or near my spine, i would let it slow me down until i was told otherwise.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I had surgery 2 weeks ago, abdominal and bowel.

I have only been signed off for walking so far not allowed to bend, lift, push or pull.

I am walking as much as possible each day before the swelling stops me. I made 6000 steps (More shuffles) today and I'm over the moon.

Need a rest now though :/

Hoping to be signed off to start running in mid/late Feb.
  • Acem24
    Acem24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    can't comment . . . personally, i think if someone had just been inside or near my spine, i would let it slow me down until i was told otherwise.

Great tip. I always listen to my doctors. It's very important to not over do anything just out of surgery!
  • Wingsont84
    Wingsont84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I was hooked to IV, with fetch eating.
    It knocked me down, couldn't do much but sit and couldn't move my arm and had huge head acne.

Now back at it, just have a hand that doesn't have much feeling
  • Acem24
    Options
    I had surgery 2 weeks ago, abdominal and bowel.

I have only been signed off for walking so far not allowed to bend, lift, push or pull.

I am walking as much as possible each day before the swelling stops me. I made 6000 steps (More shuffles) today and I'm over the moon.

Need a rest now though :/

Hoping to be signed off to start running in mid/late Feb.

Thanks for sharing! I hope everything goes well for you. I do have one concern for your health. You said until the swelling stops you. What does the swelling feel like? And Hopefully your not beasting to hard. Cause I try and aim for no swelling at all. Right when my back get alittle stiff I go home and lay down and stretch.
  • Acem24
    Options
    Wingsont84 wrote: »
    I was hooked to IV, with fetch eating.
    It knocked me down, couldn't do much but sit and couldn't move my arm and had huge head acne.

Now back at it, just have a hand that doesn't have much feeling

Thanks for sharing! I hope all goes well. What were your workouts or hobbies before your tragedy?
  • BabyLovesToRun
    BabyLovesToRun Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Sure do! Went rock climbing/jumping September of 2016 ... jumped off a high rock that I shouldn't have and landed on my ankle wrong, it rolled INWARDS (as apposed to out). Fractured it. The fracture is healed but the peroneal tendon has not. "BabyLovesToRun" has been reduced to no running for over a year. I have tried, but within 30 seconds it feels like it did the day I landed on it wrong. So, I've learned to love weight training instead! I haven't given up on my love for running, but for now it'll just have to wait.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Quite a few injuries, mostly knees and lower back - I raced motorbikes for ten years without much skill but with plenty of enthusiasm! :)
    But worst injury was down to a dozy driver on the road though, laid me up for 3 months.

Had surgery but discharged myself from hospital several days early, went full tilt at rehab exercises and ripped all the sutures out. Funny enough my physical therapists weren't very impressed with me.
    There's a fine line between determination and being reckless.

A wise man learns from his mistakes, a clever man learns from the mistakes of others.
    Heal first, train hard later. Best of luck with your rehab.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I just don't get why people on MFP keep asking for suggestions about what exercises they can do despite recent injury, surgery and/or felt pain.

If you have an injury or pain, it should be obvious that you need to assess and treat it b4 doing any exercise and that you should allow your body to heal after a surgery b4 doing any exercise (other that supervised PT) too.

I've had a lot of injuries and surgeries and that's what I did each time. I never regretted it and I was able to get "back" into shape w/o difficulty despite the time off taken to heal and recover.
  • hannamarie0098
    hannamarie0098 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I’m going to be having hip surgery later this year and I’m hoping to get as fit and healthy in the months leading up to it as possible. My question is more about the mental and emotional side of recovery. How have you kept yourself occupied while you’re recovering? I will be on crutches and unable to drive so will be at home all day alone! I’m a bit worried that I’ll go a bit stir crazy! Any suggestions? Even if it’s just some good box sets or books to read while I’m couchbound?
  • sijomial
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I just don't get why people on MFP keep asking for suggestions about what exercises they can do despite recent injury, surgery and/or felt pain.

If you have an injury or pain, it should be obvious that you need to assess and treat it b4 doing any exercise and that you should allow your body to heal after a surgery b4 doing any exercise (other that supervised PT) too.

I've had a lot of injuries and surgeries and that's what I did each time. I never regretted it and I was able to get "back" into shape w/o difficulty despite the time off taken to heal and recover.

There's probably several reasons why people aren't as sensible as you were. I certainly wasn't sensible, repeatedly.
    I smashed myself up quite badly crashing at 90mph and first thought was phew, I can still wiggle my toes. Second thought was wondering if I could repair my bike in time for my next race meeting in 3 weeks. I did and I crashed on the same bend again. Landed better that time, practice makes perfect? ;)

For me it was a whole load of impatience and what is common to motorcycle racers and extreme sport participants - a certain detachment from your body. As long as it will still do what you want it to do pain is OK. Your body is tool to do a job and not really the essential "you" so doesn't matter if it's a bit battered.

I only became sensible when I had children and stupid risks became both stupid and selfish. I've still got a somewhat odd attitude to pain though.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Good for you.

Myself on the other hand spent years not being able to do much, almost bed ridden. I went from that to running 15 miles.
    Recent surgery is just a bump in the road, the pain can't and won't stop me. I've been told what can cause damage and I won't do them but my god am I going to push myself to do what I have been signed off to.

• sijomial
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I’m going to be having hip surgery later this year and I’m hoping to get as fit and healthy in the months leading up to it as possible. My question is more about the mental and emotional side of recovery. How have you kept yourself occupied while you’re recovering? I will be on crutches and unable to drive so will be at home all day alone! I’m a bit worried that I’ll go a bit stir crazy! Any suggestions? Even if it’s just some good box sets or books to read while I’m couchbound?

@hannamarie0098
    My experience was pre-internet and before cable TV so it did send me a little crazy!
    I made myself go out on my crutches every day for a walk (stomp?), built some great traps doing that.
    Did silly things like cut a hedge with secateurs as couldn't use two handed tools, did a bit of one handed, one leg decorating and car/bike repair.
    Took up a new hobby (betting on horses!) just to keep my mind working and an interest.

Also ate far too much - don't do that.

How about some online study towards a qualification?
    Gather some good books, not just entertaining ones - ones that make you think. Two that spring to mind are Chimp Paradox by Steve Peters (thought provoking and fascinating) or The Prince by Machiavelli (very useful in the world of corporate business...).

Do "organise" your friends and family to visit, people can be reluctant to interrupt or interfere whereas you might love them to. I felt very isolated and learned I had to initiate contact as other people are getting on with their lives, at least social media makes it easier now.

For me it became much easier emotionally when I could drive and start on my rehab, independence and a light at the end of the tunnel.

• ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I had major abdominal Surgery 5 weeks ago, had a baby cut out of me! Itching to train again but will settle for walks for now, better safe than sorry!
  • Acem24
    Options
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    I had major abdominal Surgery 5 weeks ago, had a baby cut out of me! Itching to train again but will settle for walks for now, better safe than sorry!

Yes! Congratulations! Very smart, do not push it.
  • Acem24
    Options

Good luck buddy! And I'll list some things to help with after surgery.
    1. Listen to doctor orders, if he says no bending or twisting for two weeks. Please listen And obey!
    2. Focus on muscle control, for when you get in and out of bed , or walking to restroom.
    3. Focus on good posture, don't put your surgery site threw hell.
    4. Read about the muscles that were cut or around your surgery site, how to not trigger them until your healed enough to start PT.
    5. Take medication
    6. Learn a new word everyday
    7. Read for fun
    8. Plan your meals
    9. Walk with caution and control
    10. Get to know the people in your life helping you out threw surgery. Maybe plan to cook them a nice meal, take them to eat.
    11. Any muscles that Do Not affect your surgery site. Stretch them and move them around without triggering your surgery site. You would be surprised how you can get your heart rate up with just alittle stretching and movements.
    Have a good day
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

Good for you.

Myself on the other hand spent years not being able to do much, almost bed ridden. I went from that to running 15 miles.
    Recent surgery is just a bump in the road, the pain can't and won't stop me. I've been told what can cause damage and I won't do them but my god am I going to push myself to do what I have been signed off to.
    I think the problem that (or what I see as a problem) that sgt1372 was pointing out is that people seem to do a lot of, "I have xyz injury/surgery, what can I do to exercise/lose weight" without actually consulting their doctors. It's foolhardy and people are more or less asking to make things worse. I've had 10 surgeries at this point, most of which have been major the last of which was a little over 7 weeks ago.

I think you and I both know that it is beyond unwise to not heed the warning of doctors, we've seen examples in this thread that show that not everyone is of the same opinion (or hasn't been historically). I question the logic of trying to lose weight right after most surgeries given the sheer amount of calories it takes to heal after a major physical trauma. Jumping into exercise full force shortly after an orthopedic surgery? It'd be one thing if a physical therapist said, "ok yes" but that seems doubtful.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Back to the original question - I'm seven and a half weeks out of a tibial tubercle osteotomy and MPFL reconstruction and essentially I've spent all of the last seven and a half weeks doing massive amounts of PT (which started hours after I got out of surgery). That and a lot of scar mobilization. The first 3 or so weeks was essentially spent sleeping and doing PT.

I was only allowed to start bearing weight on my surgical leg a week and a half ago when I was six weeks post op which is pretty normal. Since then it's still been a lot of PT and I've added on biking on my indoor trainer, both to aid in flexion but also so I can have some cardio. The only reason I was able to start biking as early as I did is because of all of the scar mobilization I did, otherwise I just wouldn't have had enough flexion. At the moment I have a self imposed limit of biking four days a week (if I bike three days in a row my knee is very unhappy the four day) and a PT imposed limit of not biking nearly as intensely as I would like to. I presumably won't be allowed to bike outside until March or April which sucks but the risk is that if I fall I would probably shatter my tibia. I'll likely add in swimming next week as well.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Torn ACL while doing martial arts a few years ago. Had a reconstruction with a hamstring tendon graft and was on a lot of restrictions after surgery. Wasn't cleared for running again until 12 weeks post op and even then it was "straight line/flat terrain". I walked a 5k in my ACL brace a few months post op and was really tempted to run some of it but thought it would be embarrassing if I fell on my face so just kept walking...
    I was excited about being able to run again but when I first tried, every step hurt so I stuck to walking for a while until it didn't hurt to run (am now running again). It actually took about a year before the surgery knee felt like it did before the injury. Everyone (doc, PT, and others with previous ACL reconstructions) told me it would take that long, but I wanted to think it would be faster for me....
    With any injury, you need to follow the restrictions set by your doctor and PT. You can be active, but follow the doctor/PTs advice and focus on your rehab. If you don't you risk reinjury or making it worse, and then you may end up with needing even longer to get back to where you want to be.
  • Fit4sure
    Fit4sure Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Totally blown meniscus that isn’t repairable. Arthritic knees as it was but I wasn’t having pain with them until the weight lifting accident. I was being an idiot...

I taught a cardio kickboxing class and had everyone on the mats for certain weight lifting stations. One gal at a station forgot the routine for that station and I ran over to assist her...took the weights and did the move WITHOUT the mat. The floor was slippery there and I went down with the weight engaged on one knee. Doc says the only thing is a total knee replacement and he won’t do it until I’m older so I get shots in my knee so I can sleep at night as the pain is THAT bad. Also was told no more cardio kickboxing, squats, running, hiking treacherous trails, zumba...these were my “go to’s” and I’m not into water stuff or bikes. :(

Still trying to figure out my new thing. Just walking for now. Not interesting...messes with my head but I KNOW to listen to my doctor as I could complicate things and make things way worse.