Pushup and sit ups challenge

Options
Has anybody done the 200 pushup and sit up challenge for a month if so did it help increase your max at the end of the month I just started it and would like to know anyone else's results.

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    I use to do 100 pushups plus 60 pullups and 80 dips, 3x's per week.

Really increased my upper body strength, particularly in the arms, shoulders and upper chest/back.

However, it wrecked my elbows. Got tendonitis twice. Took me 3 months to recover the 2nd time and am doing some pushups, pullups and dips again but haven't gone back to this full routine yet.

As for situps, I don't do them. I only do compound lifts and body weight exercises to strengthen my core.

No need to do any situps for that purpose and there is reason to believe that doing them id potentially harmful to your back & spine.
  • Joshkilgore32
    Joshkilgore32 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Really increased my upper body strength, particularly in the arms, shoulders and upper chest/back.

However, it wrecked my elbows. Got tendonitis twice. Took me 3 months to recover the 2nd time and am doing some pushups, pullups and dips again but haven't gone back to this full routine yet.

As for situps, I don't do them. I only do compound lifts and body weight exercises to strengthen my core.

No need to do any situps for that purpose and there is reason to believe that doing them id potentially harmful to your back & spine.

I'm only working on pushups and Sit ups for my pt test I work in law enforcement and have to do my max next month so I'm trying to increase my numbers as much as possible for next month.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

No need to do any situps for that purpose and there is reason to believe that doing them is potentially harmful to your back & spine.

I'm only working on pushups and Sit ups for my pt test I work in law enforcement and have to do my max next month so I'm trying to increase my numbers as much as possible for next month.

I'm a retired LEO and am in better shape now that I was in the academy over 20 yrs ago.

FWIW, for ab/core and lower body (hip, butt and leg) strength, I'd recommend doing DLs and SQTs instead of just situps.

For upper body, pushups w/pullups and dips, plus BP and OHP, will also be all you need to do to work your abs/core and increase your upper body (arms, shoulders, chest & back) strength.

I got stronger and developed more muscle definition, including a constantly visible 6 pack (w/o doing a single crunch or situp) just by doing this and losing the necessary BF.

Do what you will but the above should be all that you need to do to pass your PT test.

Good luck! :)
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,773 Member
    Options
    I was USAF for 14 years, aced the pushup portion of my PT test every single time I took it, never did more than 100 pushups a day. What I did do was a variety of pushups each day...

Standard
    Hands wide
    Hands close (elbows by ribs)
    Fingers pointing in
    Fingers pointing out
    Decline (feet propped up)
    Fingertip
    Diamond
    Explosive clappers
    Standard with a 5-sec pause at bottom

Do a set of 10 of each. This works the muscles in question from a variety of angles, including the supporting muscles. During the actual test you can shift your body a couple inches as you get tired and then continue with "fresh" muscles.

Luck!