Keeping the core in check at Starbucks

Options
Hey guys,

I’m a grad student and I find myself at Starbucks frequently when I’m working/studying. I wanted to know what drinks you guys recommend ordering (low in sugar and fat of course). I hate bitter drinks. I ordered a coconut cold brew one time and after 2 sips, I threw it out.

I go pretty regularly to the gym (4x a week) and have seen great progress! The core is the toughest for me, especially since I have a big sweet tooth. I’ve been avoiding Starbucks over the holidays, but I go back to school on Monday and would like some suggestions.

Thank you:)

Replies

• jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    coffee with artificial sweeteners. yes they are fine for you
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    The teas can be petty good, if tou get unsweetened. I love iced pomegranate with passion.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Cold brew iced coffee (regular not with coconut milk), cappuccino, or macchiato (not a caramel one). I'd also say regular hot coffee, but Starbucks' hot coffee is gross..
  • aimanj7
    aimanj7 Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    jdog022 wrote: »
    coffee with artificial sweeteners. yes they are fine for you

^ Exactly. Skip all the mochalicious creamy frappe lattechinos and go with a coffee with nonfat milk and splenda.

Actually my first instinct was to say avoid Starbucks altogether, but that's just my personal bias speaking because I can't stand their overpriced, terrible tasting coffee/drinks, lol.

I agree with the whole “avoid going altogether”. I never go unless I’m studying lol thank you :)
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Non-fat latte with Splenda.
  • ralexander607
    ralexander607 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Americano with 3 pumps of sugar free vanilla. Add milk on your own. Or try a cafe misto with soy milk (coffee with steamed soy milk).
  • squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Definitely going less now that I'm doing keto. My go to is unsweetened teas, mainly green tea, hot or iced depending on mood. Some days I do miss my delicious chai lattes, though.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Americarno, sweetener and sugar free syrup
  • ashleyminnich1
    ashleyminnich1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My husband does an Americano no room for cream. I tend to just say non-fat, no whip on whatever I want and log the calories. I'm not there that often, though. If I liked sugar free stuff I would probably cut a bit more that way.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Find a coffee shop that serves good coffee then get it black. Starbucks sucks IMO. I only drink black coffee and their's tastes burnt to me.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Agree with folks who say shop local instead of at chains, for so many reasons!
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    What are your reasons to study at Starbucks?

I know that I usually end up there because free wifi and the ability to talk with my study buddies. Because of the second part the library is usually a no go. When there's a free classroom, we try to snag it and just study there.

I tend to just get the cheapest black coffee (not as if their coffee improves with priciness) and add some artificial sweeteners and a touch of cinnamon. Or I get a big cup of tea. Again, not as good as another shop nearby, but that shop has neither seating nor wifi. So Starbucks it is.

Might there be a suitable place to study in your immediate vicinity that fulfills your requirements without the temptation of high calorie drinks?
  • aimanj7
    aimanj7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    What are your reasons to study at Starbucks?

I know that I usually end up there because free wifi and the ability to talk with my study buddies. Because of the second part the library is usually a no go. When there's a free classroom, we try to snag it and just study there.

I tend to just get the cheapest black coffee (not as if their coffee improves with priciness) and add some artificial sweeteners and a touch of cinnamon. Or I get a big cup of tea. Again, not as good as another shop nearby, but that shop has neither seating nor wifi. So Starbucks it is.

Might there be a suitable place to study in your immediate vicinity that fulfills your requirements without the temptation of high calorie drinks?

I used to study at home but my family is the biggest distraction! I have a big family and I just can’t focus when everyone’s around. It’s funny that I manage to get most work done at a Starbucks/second cup because there are lots of people and it’s even noisier than home.

The library is always packed otherwise I end up there. I don’t know why, but every time I go to a coffee shop I just find myself being more productive. When the coffee kicks in it just helps me focus lol When I’m working on a stats assignment I’m able to focus and be more efficient when running an analysis and developing a report. So I hear you all! I definitely want to avoid coffee shops in general, but honestly, the environment helps me work and I do really well... so I’m kinda stuck at the moment
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Even the skinny latte is 120 to 140 cal. Now I stay away from that. Just a tall coffee with whatever sugar free syrup they have with nonfat milk added. Cheaper too!
    Passion fruit tea iced is fabulous and so refreshing!
  • Katus130
    Katus130 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Personally, my go to is their blonde roast. I’ve always had my coffee black so the sweeteners and not an issue for me. Every now and again I get a triple tall non fat flat white and it only costs me 100 calories or so. Somehow the way they pull the shots or steam the milk makes it seem less bitter to me.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Iced venti skinny vanilla latte is 110 calories. It's closer to 200 if it's hot.

Most drinks can be made "skinny"
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    I like just the plain nonfat latte. Sure, it has calories. But, for my purposes, there's enough protein to make those calories worthwhile. I'm ovo-lacto veg, satiated by protein & volume, and don't like sweet coffee, though, so YMMV.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I have a local coffee shop I usually patronize, or else Peet's.

At Starbucks I usually get either a tall or grande whole milk latte. Once each December, I get a grande 2 pump peppermint mocha with whole milk and whipped cream. I have twice ordered a green tea latte with coconut milk...they taste like white chocolate, not green tea.

I find a latte very filling and would typically have that in lieu of a breakfast or lunch.