How can I make chicken and veg taste nice without gravy?

Options
I like red meat with veg, but I find the combo of chicken and veg really bland, I love sauces! My diet is free from egg wheat and milk. I've been using gluten free gravy but I'd prefer something I can make from scratch.

Replies

• kemoon0915
    kemoon0915 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I find lemon pepper and / or fresh lemon juice really helps out chicken and steamed veggies
  • myfitnesspalsophie
    myfitnesspalsophie Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    great suggestions, thanks :)
  • dadsafrantic
    dadsafrantic Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    chicken bone broth and some gourmet garden stir-in paste. i just ate this. the thai paste has cilantro, ginger, lemon grass and chili pepper. pretty good. prepped turkey and veg.
  • msofy
    msofy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ginger
  • marygraci999
    marygraci999 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I use salad dressing as a marinade... Kraft greek feta is really delicious...
  • He4rtl4nd
    He4rtl4nd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For a gluten free gravy from scratch substitute a smaller amount of corn starch for flour. It’s a better thickener and gluten free :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    If you prefer gravy, I'd suggest using the chicken drippings (or some chicken broth) to make gravy. Use sweet rice flour (Mochiko) to thicken with the same texture as wheat flour. Corn starch also thickens, but gives a weird texture. If you don't mind the gelatinous corn starch texture, you can also thicken the gravy with glucomannan (it has no calories).

Chicken is less bland if you marinate it in some herbs first or even just smear a little dijon mustard on it before cooking. Or put some salsa or spaghetti sauce on it.

Here's a link to a few ideas https://www.thespruce.com/top-chicken-marinade-recipes-335325
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Make curries!!

Lots of ginger, garlic, onion, spices, pack it with veggies, herbs like coriander, green chilli

Or lots of other one pot dishes, casseroles and all sorts

flavour it up!!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with gravy. Cheese is good, too!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,574 Member
    Options
    He4rtl4nd wrote: »
    For a gluten free gravy from scratch substitute a smaller amount of corn starch for flour. It’s a better thickener and gluten free :)

I was going to say, can you make gravy with corn starch?
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Roasting and grilling both chicken and veggies really brings out a good flavor too. I prefer roasted veggies over most foods and grilled chicken is so good.

Sometimes I will make a marinade with mustard, a little brown sugar and some light ranch and then grill the chicken. It does add cals but so yummy and not as much as gravy.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I love chicken with marinara! Roasted cauliflower, basil, garlic, topped with chicken, marinara, feta and olives.

I also really like salsa. Bell peppers, onions, carrots, garlic, topped with chicken, salsa and guacamole.

And yes to spices, especially ones that are already in a blend. I like the McCormick Grill Mates mixes.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    hot sauce
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I use salad dressing as a marinade... Kraft greek feta is really delicious...

This is a great idea....fat free dressing in addition!
  • blueheartrisen
    blueheartrisen Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would go for the homemade cornstarch thickened gravy. Gravy (and other sauces) are worth the calories to me if they make the veggies more palatable.

Homemade honey mustard is also excellent with bland chicken/veg. Yum yum sauce is also nice, I use bottled but I bet there is a recipe out there for it.

Lemon pepper is also a go-to for me.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Maple syrup and grain mustard mixed in a little hot water goes great over baked veg or meat.
    Lemon pepper.
    Rotisserie seasoning.
    Soy sauce and rice vinegar.
    Sriracha.
    Greek yoghurt seasoned with dill or ranch or onion or something.
    Tomatoes will cook down into a sauce and are especially good with indian and thai seasoning.