Mission: break a sugar addiction and tame emotional eating

Options
bourbonrose
bourbonrose Posts: 12 Member
edited January 2018 in Introduce Yourself
The last half of 2017 was a doozy for me, and does it show! I am throughly addicted to sugar/sweets and found I was relying upon them too much to get through the issues weighing heavily on me. It’s time to build healthy habits, kick sugar to the curb, and find more constructive ways to deal with adversity!

37F 5’2” / SW: 213 / CW: 209 / GW: 120ish

Replies

• anniekaypants
    anniekaypants Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    @Mike1804 are you still eating low glycemic? Has it helped keep the weight off?
  • EmperorBlack
    EmperorBlack Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Added you as a friend if you don’t mind. I’m also an emotional eater and semi sugar addict (though I could also eat crisps forever) I’m not good at losing weight haha and wouldn’t mind watching your new healthier habits
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Mike1804 wrote: »
    Mike1804 wrote: »
    adetrini wrote: »
    Has cutting out sugar helped with weight loss? I have 50 pounds to lose.
    Definitely. About 4 years ago I lost 30lbs by cutting refined sugar, artificial sweeteners and being careful by limiting (but not completely eliminating) my carb choices. Mostly choosing those smart low glycemic fruits and veggies.

It definitely works

But you get that the reason you lost weight was because cutting those foods put you in a calorie deficit, not because there's something magical about not eating those foods, right?

Sure, creating a calorie deficit was the core reason. But Choosing the right foods with the lower glycemic index allowed me to control my impulses. Personally, eating more bland, less sweet foods doesn't trigger my hunger impulses. Perfect example is crystal light. Sugar free, but because it is super sweet I’m craving food shortly thereafter... I can’t deal with that stuff

Yeah, I just wanted to clarify. This time of year we get so many new people on here who can misunderstand what's being said.

I too struggle with the sweets. I find that I can eat a little but if I don't stay on top of it I can easily overeat it.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Love reading what everyone has written. I’m def. a sugar addict! Think I’ve known for a while, but FINALLY decided to say it out loud and share with others. Must admit, not everyone is supportative with my choice to cut out sugary foods. I’m starting with cutting out cake, etc. desserts of all kinds and white potatoes and bread. I also LOVE coffee, gotta tackle that too. Need an overhaul! Hoping y’all can help me stay motivated and teach me how to live this way.

Whats wrong with potatoes i struggle with sugar but potatoes are the main thing i eat and their wonderful and nutrient dense
  • MelaniefromGA
    MelaniefromGA Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am staying away from white potatoes for now. I’m eating Sweet potatoes and may add white back at some point. Trying to figure out what’s best for me. We’re all a little different. Or at least I am!