Good butt exercises for a footless person

Options
kitzykarly
kitzykarly Posts: 32 Member
edited January 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
What are good exercises that target the butt on a footless person? I do have knees and can "stand up" on them, and my balance is a little shakey, but not too bad. My stumps don't bear any weight at all. Exercises I do that I can feel in my glutes are hip bridges with my stumps on a ball, supermans, and fire hydrants. I also do a sort of "squat" on my knees, but I lean really far forward so I don't topple backwards onto my butt. It's happened, and is pretty funny, but not conducive to exercise! Does that form ruin the squat? What other exercises can I do that targets the butt?

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Honestly, a lot of those 1980s Jane Fonda moves are back. Fire hydrants, etc. Check out the book Strong Curves by Bret Contrares. He's really the glute guy!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Do you have a good physical therapist or a sports doctor you can go to? Before you do anything that is going to put strain on your knees, you should make sure you are strong enough in your lower body. I'm sure that exercises where you are putting the majority of your weight in your upper body are fine, but squats, deadlifts and lunges are going to require some modifications. Putting tension in the wrong area could easily injure your joints and that would awful to have to deal with. A doctor might be able to help you learn what muscles to engage and what form will work best for you.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You might try a reverse hyper on a stability ball.
  • kitzykarly
    edited January 2018
    Options
    My PT is the one who had me do the pseudo-squat. She only had me do it the once, so I'm not sure if she decided it wasn't an effective exercise for me or what. Now that I have prosthetics I'll be starting PT again, so I can ask her then.
    I am pretty strong. I do use my lower body to crawl around, transfer, climb into and out of cars, and climb on counters to get things. But I've noticed my butt is looking flatter since losing my feet.

I like the idea of reverse hypers! I'll totally throw that into my routine! Deadlifts sound rather dangerous for me, though, considering my wonky balance. Plus, I don't own any weights. Would love to, but space and money are issues.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Can you do back extensions? Maybe if you have trouble holding yourself on the machine, someone could hold your thighs in place? I do them while holding a plate on my chest, it's a good posterior chain workout.

Edit: just noticed that you are working from home. Donkey kicks?
  • kitzykarly
    Options
    Ah! I didn't know what they were called! I do a sort of donkey kick where I also raise my opposite arm in front of me, then out. I think Supermans are like back extensions. Maybe I should get a trial membership at a gym and see what is doable and if it would be worth it!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    kitzykarly wrote: »
    Ah! I didn't know what they were called! I do a sort of donkey kick where I also raise my opposite arm in front of me, then out. I think Supermans are like back extensions. Maybe I should get a trial membership at a gym and see what is doable and if it would be worth it!

Definitely! You might ask and see if your insurance would cover a gym membership, it does for some people. Depending on the machines available at your gym, all kinds of options might be possible.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Are you able to use your prosthetics for exercise? If so that would open up a lot of options. Also band exercises might work for glutes
  • kitzykarly
    Options
    Thanks, I totally forgot about bands! I have a bunch around here somewhere!
    I'm just starting out in prosthetics and using a walker. My tibias are unpadded and very prominent. Hopefully over time I'll be able to exercise in them, but just walking can be very painful. I've only worn them 5 days, but the last walk bruised my left tibia, so I'm waiting for that to heal before I wear them again. Hmm, when I do put them on again I'm going to try squats hanging onto my walker and see how it goes.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    My PT is the one who had me do the pseudo-squat. She only had me do it the once, so I'm not sure if she decided it wasn't an effective exercise for me or what. Now that I have prosthetics I'll be starting PT again, so I can ask her then.
    I am pretty strong. I do use my lower body to crawl around, transfer, climb into and out of cars, and climb on counters to get things. But I've noticed my butt is looking flatter since losing my feet.

I like the idea of reverse hypers! I'll totally throw that into my routine! Deadlifts sound rather dangerous for me, though, considering my wonky balance. Plus, I don't own any weights. Would love to, but space and money are issues.

Lifters I know with stumps deadlift without their prosthetics, they have no safety concerns. It's the same strength training for everybody. Start at a weight you can handle with proper form and progress. Perhaps your have a competent PT who utilizes barbell training that will coach you through your insurance.

I also like the idea of the reverse hypers.

• kitzykarly
    Options
    My stumps below the knee are very short and don't bear weight. When I stand on my knees, my balance is compromised and I sometimes fall backwards onto my butt. It seems dangerous to me to be lifting barbells that could land on me if I lose my balance.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    My stumps below the knee are very short and don't bear weight. When I stand on my knees, my balance is compromised and I sometimes fall backwards onto my butt. It seems dangerous to me to be lifting barbells that could land on me if I lose my balance.

Understood :)

The people I know are above knee.