I am a failure

Options
Someone made a suggestion in the Feedback area that we should have a failures section, a counterpoint to the success stories section. I volunteered as tribute, and so here it is.

There it is. I said it. I'm the opposite of a Success Story. I am a failure.

I have been obese, on and off, for 25 years. I have gained lots, lost lots. I don't think I've ever maintained weight for more than a couple of months, I'm either losing or gaining. Usually, I gain back and end up bigger than ever.

I joined MFP in 2012. Got serious about losing weight in 2013, at 116kg (254lbs). Over the course of 18 months, I lost 37kg. I felt great, loved wearing normal clothes, I wasn't done yet but I was on the right track.

In July 2016, I changed jobs to a much more demanding job, my husband was made redundant and my beloved Taekwondo class moved and I couldn't make it any more.

I struggled to find a new TKD class, struggled adjusting to the new job, and struggled with the anxiety of having my husband out of work. By Christmas that year, I'd regained about 5kg.

Despite many, many efforts to get back on track in 2017 (my poor friends list must be so sick of hearing about it), I kept slowly gaining. Then, in mid-2017, I developed chronic, unremitting vertigo. With it came brain fog and massive anxiety.

I started to binge in a way I hadn't done since before I met my husband. I'd grab pastries and muffins on the way to work (yes, that's plural). Lunch would be the most calorific things I could find. Mid-afternoon would see me go to 7-11 for a 2 for 1 deal on king sized chocolate bars, or whole bags of candy which I would then eat, despite feeling ill. On the train on the way home, I'd eat more candy, or chips, or salami sticks. Go home, cook a full dinner (or convince husband to get takeaway), then keep snacking into the night.

I was gaining at a ferocious weight, none of my clothes fit, I was physically uncomfortable, my knees hurt and through it all, I was dizzy, foggy, wildly anxious and more and more depressed.

We think we've found a cause for the vertigo, so there is light at the end of the tunnel which I hope is not a train. It's still there, but I'm feeling better, husband is back at work and I seem to have thrown the binge switch back into the off position.

But I'm back at 105kg, nothing fits, I'm still uncomfortable, my knees still hurt. I swore I'd never ever be here again, and here I am. There's nothing to do but start climbing that mountain again.

So, I'm a failure. I preach a good game, but I utterly buggered this up yet again, and now I'm paying the price for it. I'm the epitome of knowing exactly what to do, and utterly failing to do it. I'm one of the 90+% of people who do not keep the weight off.

People say you haven't failed until you've stopped trying, I say bulldust. You can fail, over and over and over. But you then get a choice whether to try again, or stay a failure. So here I am. Trying again.

Replies

• Do3w7
    Do3w7 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I to am a so called expert on what needs to be done. However I have difficulty following my own advise. Back at it again. I remind myself I did not get to the weight I am overnight nor will I get back to my desired weight overnight. But I will get there... each time we learn something.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    never mind.

we have similarities. :smile:
  • jkhoffer
    jkhoffer Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're a failure as you are on here trying again. If you had just given up completely, that might be a different story....but you're not. You know exactly what the issues were that caused you to gain back, that's huge! Some people don't know why they've gained, or don't want to "see" it. You are here, trying again. That's really great! Just take one day at a time.
  • helene4
    helene4 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You sound like a resilient and strong woman
  • willow8220
    willow8220 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Oh my, your post made me tear up. I am so sorry to read about all your struggles, and wanted to say I can identify with everything you wrote. You certainly are not alone in the struggle to maintain. Sending you a big hug and warm thoughts, you will succeed.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Started in 2013 and I lost 30 pounds, started to really feel great and was on the path to reaching my goal weight. Fast-forward 5 years, I'm back to where I started. For me it was a car accident that put me into a bout of anxiety and depression. Regardless of what or why, at some point, we fall flat on our faces, but eventually we get back up, brush ourselves off and try again. I'm ready to get back to it!
    Thank you for your honesty, it makes me feel less alone.