Breakfast ideas

Options
Hey everyone,

I need some more interesting quick breakfast ideas.
However, I have no oven so everything that would need to be cooked would need to be cooked in my combi microwave (can bake but not past 35 minutes) or air fryer or in the pan.

I was switching between yoghurt with granola, eggs or oats but got very bored and started skipping breakfast again.
I struggle to eat in the first half hour of being awake, very much zombie mode, so idiot proof prep would be ideal.

Any ideas?
Yes I’ve been scanning for recipes

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Get away from the idea that breakfast has to be yogurt etc, it can be any food types you like.

I'm never hungry on a morning so I don't eat breakfast until 1-2pm. I'll saute huge pile of veg and add ramen/noodles or beaten eggs.
    Left overs from the night before are good as well.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I need some more interesting quick breakfast ideas.
    However, I have no oven so everything that would need to be cooked would need to be cooked in my combi microwave (can bake but not past 35 minutes) or air fryer or in the pan.

I was switching between yoghurt with granola, eggs or oats but got very bored and started skipping breakfast again.
    I struggle to eat in the first half hour of being awake, very much zombie mode, so idiot proof prep would be ideal.

Any ideas?
    Yes I’ve been scanning for recipes

dont eat breakfast if you dont fancy it... save your calories for later in the day
  • raspuller
    raspuller Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Microwaved sweet potatoes can make a good breakfast. You can top them with chopped walnuts and a little maple syrup or honey if you like. There’s also oatmeal - endless opportunities there. Or even rice or quinoa with fruit or granola added in.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I do not eat the morning meal. I eat later in the day.
    If you do not feel like eating in the morning, save calories to eat later.
  • NowItsTime4Change
    Options
    Ah ok so I am ok literally just grabbing a banana to eat in the car on my way to work if I fancy?
    I’d been to a nutritionist who had gone about that I needed to eat the three main meals and snacks in between but I find it quite difficult to do that.

Weekends are just as bad, I will be up by 8am but don’t eat anything till lunch usually.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Do you know how you become a nutritionist? You do an online course which takes a couple of hours.

They clearly don't have the first clue what they are talking about.

• raspuller
    raspuller Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Do you know how you become a nutritionist? You do an online course which takes a couple of hours.

Depends on whether they are licensed or not. Generally speaking, licensed nutritionists have to have, at minimum, a bachelors, but it varies by state and agency. https://www.nutritioned.org/licensed-nutritionist.html

That doesn’t mean they can’t still be full of it, of course. I’m just suggesting that a licensed nutrition generally has more than a mail-order certificate.
  • aimanj7
    aimanj7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    To me, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I never skip it! I used to struggle to eat food early in the morning (my mornings start 7am), but then I got used to it and my body craves it in the morning. I tend to have half a Popeyeseed bagel with some protein and lettuce (it’s pretty filling for me), or I’ll boil 2 eggs and have them with multigrain rye bread. I’ve had yogurt a few times but it turns into a snack :P I like protein for breakfast! If I absolutely feel like having nothing, I’ll have tea but that’s rare.
  • NowItsTime4Change
    Options
    raspuller wrote: »

Depends on whether they are licensed or not. Generally speaking, licensed nutritionists have to have, at minimum, a bachelors, but it varies by state and agency. https://www.nutritioned.org/licensed-nutritionist.html

That doesn’t mean they can’t still be full of it, of course. I’m just suggesting that a licensed nutrition generally has more than a mail-order certificate.

I’m in Belgium, I brought up my weight during an appointment with my Dr and told her that whilst I’ve always been bigger build I am fed up of being fat but was struggling to apply my limited knowledge of good nutrition into practice.
    She first told me she didn’t think I needed to be concerned but when I told her how much I weigh, she weighed me there and gave me a referral to that specific nutritionist.

The first two appointments were helpful, answered questions, recommended logging but discouraged this app as she felt it better to write a food journal.
    She answered a few basic questions I had and sent me on my way with a two week meal plan (not using measurements but using a plate: so 1/2 veggies, 1/4 meat and 1/4 pasta/potato) as a starting point.
    I did loose a little in the first two weeks, but she was very much against weighing things, and after those two appointments would try to product push. Diet meal replacements, shakes, low calorie snacks.

I was basically paying €40 a go to be weighed, asked if I struggled with a particular area, told to eat more soup (I’m not a massive soup fan) and then be offered a variety of food packages for €50.

So I stopped going.

• rhonasaysso
    rhonasaysso Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Eating 3 meals a day, with snacks in between will not help you loose weight.... Putting out more energy than you take in will.

Eating at specific times of the day has no benefit (IMO). If your hungry, eat. If your not hungry, don t. X
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'd pay attention to how you feel without breakfast and log your other food.

Many people apparently find that they are hungrier without breakfast and so tend to eat more at other meals. To help people like this, nutritionists may recommend strategies to avoid hunger, like breakfast and snacks -- the idea is that if you eat planned healthy things and are not hungry you will be less tempted by other higher cal foods you happen upon or less likely to overeat at meals.

This is definitely not everyone, however.

Some of us find that eating more often makes us less satisfied and results in more overeating. Some people find that they are hungrier all day if they have breakfast (or that it just doesn't matter if they have it or not). And some of us find the inconvenience of having to eat a bunch of times annoying and would rather just think about food 2-3 times per day.

I don't think the advice to try things like adding in breakfast or snacks is bad, but assuming it's going to be helpful for all shows a lack of understanding of the research and would turn me off a nutritionist immediately!

I like breakfast, but if you don't (or just want a banana and are satisfied until your next meal), I wouldn't worry about it. Log to make sure your calories are right and you aren't feeling hungry and inadvertently overeating, that's all.
  • dragonflower_1
    dragonflower_1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Quick and easy breakfast for me is peanut butter on whole wheat waffles. They're usually cold by the time I get to them, but still yummy. Plus, it forces me to drink more water to wash down the PB.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    If you're happy with a banana, go for it. I'm usually not hungry until 11 or so and then it's just a tiny rumble, so I often wait until lunch at 12.

If I do wake up early I tend to do things like cereal, protein bars, oat flapjacks, hard boiled eggs, toast and peanut butter.
  • NowItsTime4Change
    Options
    Thank you for your replies, very helpful