Is this correct?

Options
Nescafe Gold - Instantkoffie 1,67g/kopje, 5 gram 6 0 0 0 0 0 .. this is the value log I get for coffee (1tsp instant nescafe) .. but I always thought that black coffee and tea were essentially zero calories? ........... oh, also Lipton Orange Jaipur tea - the barcode on the package gives a value of 7 calories per teabag. .. (Earl Grey has 0 calories)

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Anything under 5 calories is classed as zero calorie on a label.

Normal black tea and coffee I don't log, fruit teas I do.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    Which country are you in OP?

My understanding is that in USA items can be called zero calorie if one serve is less than 5 calories.

this is not so in other countries - so your container may say differently (and in Australia mus list per 100g/100ml as well as per serve)

at any rate, yes, black coffee and tea are essentially zero calories - but not exactly zero as you found out.

For real purposes in real life, close enough to zero - one assumes in real life you are not drinking 100 cups per day
  • amandaann2017
    amandaann2017 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    thank you for the replies :) .. I'm in the Netherlands by the way. .. ok.. so.. as I rarely have more than 1 cup of coffee (label says 6 calories) and 1 cup of Lipton Orange Jaipur tea (label says 7 calories) per day... then, I should essentially ignore / log as zero ? ..
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    thank you for the replies :) .. I'm in the Netherlands by the way. .. ok.. so.. as I rarely have more than 1 cup of coffee (label says 6 calories) and 1 cup of Lipton Orange Jaipur tea (label says 7 calories) per day... then, I should essentially ignore / log as zero ? ..

as long as it does provide a calorie count, it should be logged.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If it gives you a number go ahead and log it. Though 6 calories might as well be zero, you could see a trend that helps long term. For some caffeine is an appetite suppressor. For others it makes them more regular. But in any case sometimes the impact of any food varies person to person.

If I drink coffee later through the day, I tend to not get hungry as early. YMMV
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    If it gives you a number go ahead and log it. Though 6 calories might as well be zero, you could see a trend that helps long term. For some caffeine is an appetite suppressor. For others it makes them more regular. But in any case sometimes the impact of any food varies person to person.

If I drink coffee later through the day, I tend to not get hungry as early. YMMV

for me, it keeps me from killing people ;)