Help please, i need a liquid diet

Options
Hi, i just had dental work done and will have some more. I need to drink my meals for a few months. Can anyone offer any advice with this situation? I'd like to maintain my weight (125).
I bought a couple of "naked" drinks, but the high calorie ones the mango and the berry, each at 420?, are so chalky. Also, I really don't love fruity drinks, and they tend to be low in calories.
I wouldn't mind drinking Wendy's Frostys all day but I know it's not healthy. I have been drinking Kelloggs Special K protein shakes (chocolate flavor) but 4 bottles adds up to less than 800 calories, and 60 grams of protein. (For health reasons, shouldn't really have too much protein, 60 is about the highest I'd want).
I have a Vitamix, but I'm not seeing any high calorie recipies.
Can anyone offer any help?

Thank you
Thank you
Thank you

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Boost has some decent ones that I had to drink when I was in the hospital and they wanted me to eat/drink as much as possible. They were pretty good and have higher and lower calorie options.
  • dadsafrantic
    dadsafrantic Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    dewars and soda, short with a twist. or find some protein shakes. yogurt for change up. if you are really tough goat milk kefir. i love it but like scotch it's an acquired taste.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Ensure?
  • kemoon0915
    kemoon0915 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    A few really good smoothies are-
    Chocolate PB banana - your milk of choice, a frozen banana, chocolate protein powder, and 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. It almost seems like there is ice cream in it, very much like a milkshake .
    Peach - milk, Greek yogurt, frozen peaches and a little honey
    Tropical - milk, frozen tropical fruit blend, Greek yogurt, fresh ginger and cinnamon (and sweetener of choice of needed)
    Basically any smoothie' s protein content can easily be upped by the addition of plain or flavored Greek yogurt
  • Jingsi84
    Jingsi84 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Is there a Jamba Juice near you? I love to get smoothies there. You can customize your ingredients with either fruit or veggies, add protein and other vitamins, all without any clean up.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Ensure makes a higher calorie version called Ensure plus.

You can also make green smoothies that aren't so fruit heavy.

Try
    1 cup whole milk
    1 cup yogurt (not greek if you don't want as much protein)
    1 handful of spinach
    1 banana
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    1/4 cup granola
    ice

You can also add things like avocado (makes it super rich and creamy!) , whole nuts, cooked butternut squash, cooked cauliflower, cooked carrots, corn, maple syrup, cinnamon, cooked oatmeal, donut holes, soft waffles or cooked rice.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Broth soups? Soups that have been pureed?

Milkshakes? (Make them with skim milk and Halo Top if you're looking for fewer calories.)

Can you have slightly more solid things like mashed potatoes, cream of wheat, yogurt, etc.?
  • raspuller
    raspuller Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    kemoon0915 wrote: »
    A few really good smoothies are-
    Chocolate PB banana - your milk of choice, a frozen banana, chocolate protein powder, and 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. It almost seems like there is ice cream in it, very much like a milkshake .
    Peach - milk, Greek yogurt, frozen peaches and a little honey
    Tropical - milk, frozen tropical fruit blend, Greek yogurt, fresh ginger and cinnamon (and sweetener of choice of needed)
    Basically any smoothie' s protein content can easily be upped by the addition of plain or flavored Greek yogurt

Smoothies with protein supplements are a great way to go, especially with a frozen banana base. My go-to is a couple of handfuls or spinach, frozen banana, ice and almond milk with a scoop of protein powder, some cocoa powder (if using plain protein) and either a packet of instant espresso or some peanut butter or almond butter. The nice thing about frozen banana is it makes a really creamy base but the banana taste is extremely mild so if you want to mask the banana flavor it’s super easy with some cocoa or a dash of vanilla.
  • lizzynose
    lizzynose Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of huel? It is a complete meal replacement designed so that you could drink it every day and not become deficient. I use it to replace lunches as I get no time to eat at work!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Carnation Instant Breakfast packets mixed with milk are delicious!

I also like a homemade smoothie with coffee, peanut butter, banana, protein powder (optional), spinach, and chocolate milk.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Broth soups? Soups that have been pureed?

Milkshakes? (Make them with skim milk and Halo Top if you're looking for fewer calories.)

Can you have slightly more solid things like mashed potatoes, cream of wheat, yogurt, etc.?

Soups for sure! I have a stick blender, it cost about £10 and then you just use it in the saucepan. I've never tried it with meat but for any veg type soup it works brilliantly. I'd hazard a guess that it'd work with pasta in there too - or buy the really small soup pasta that you can just swallow?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    lizzynose wrote: »
    Have you heard of huel? It is a complete meal replacement designed so that you could drink it every day and not become deficient. I use it to replace lunches as I get no time to eat at work!

I was going to suggest Soylent... the company that Huel is copying.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How liquid are we talking - is yogurt out? Pureed food? Smooth peanut butter? Mashed potatoes?

I was thinking about Soylent too, it's supposed to be complete nutrition. But if taste matters to you, I think you can do better and cheaper. Get in different drinks. Get in as wide a variety as possible of all the drinks you can handle. They all contribute something, different things, and you need it all. Don't be a baby. Just eat like a baby.
    Broth.
    Milk.
    Milkshakes.
    Fruit juices.
    Vegetable juices.
    Smoothies - use milk, banana and nuts, maybe cocoa powder, it doesn't taste fruity.
    Eggnog - preferably non-alcoholic.
    Gruel.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Try this site, even though it is a vegan blog site, the recipes are really healthy and will make full use of your Vitamix.
    Let me know what you think.

https://simpleveganblog.com/
  • lisalisaopp
    lisalisaopp Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey all, thank you for the suggestions!
    I hate dental work, but doing all at once to get it over with. A friend of mine used to drink her meals, and I always that that was kinda cool. I just want to make sure I'm getting balanced nutrition. I am definitely going to look for "huel" & "soylent", but in the mean time a few Special K chocolate protein drinks a day, (I know its kinda garbage) as well as cream based soups and I'll puree some foods like mac & cheese, rice & beans, mashed potatoes/butter/sour cream and string beans (hopefully they don't come out too gross!) and of course, a large Frosty from Wendy's.
  • RichardBrewster1
    RichardBrewster1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi. Id reccomend huel. The vanilla is really good and after the first few days I got to enjoy the texture.
  • RichardBrewster1
    RichardBrewster1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say ive replaced breakfast and lunch huel since october
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i like HMR shakes blended with ice.
  • tasha_998
    tasha_998 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would consider just making regular food, adding some liquid, and pureeing it in a blender. Most supplements/shakes are very sweet, and that would get to me after a short time. Ymmv