Do you take days off of tracking?

Options

Replies

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal weight, and kept logging. About a month later, I stopped logging and just tried to continue eating about the way I did while losing weight. Now, three months later without logging at all, I have actually lost another 5 pounds and just hover plus or minus 2 pounds from there. It's weird, but I guess I learned some new habits. I still weigh every morning, so I will know when or if my weight starts to creep up again. Why not try it out?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Nope, 1000+ days of logging every day.

However, I do have days where I guesstimate more than others.

Keeping logging keeps me maintaining. It only takes two minutes less time scrolling on Facebook per day, so why would I stop something that works?

I hear you about the switch to maintenance. It really freaked me out when I went over my calorie limit for the first time. I had to come to accept that some days must be more and some days must be less.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Never took a break in 4 years. Totally will admit that over holidays the logging is loose and fast and most likely less accurate, but I never stop logging
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Hot goal in March, kept logging, did well. September/October sort of slid off a little, 4lbs later back logging. Caught it before it got silly.
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My metabolism can be a bit crazy sometimes, so I'll log basic meals to make sure I hit a calorie goal, and then after that I won't log some foods. At this point I might need to go and see a doctor about it lol
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do it. I think it's good for you mentally just to be able to have a day or two off from tracking and logging especially if I'm on vacation or it's my birthday
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I just got back from a nine month diet break. I did step on the scale at least a couple times a week and stayed aware of what I was eating. I gained 15 pounds, mostly over the holidays. I had a ten pound limit, so I'm back logging again. I did log for most of six months before that so I had some practice. I took a day or week off occasionally during that time too. As long as I stay aware of what I'm eating and what I weigh it seems to work for me. If I want to lose I really have to log at least six days a week.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Since you are maintaining it can be a good time to give it a try. I stopped logging years ago (sometimes I check certain foods or log one day here and there) but mostly I just track my weight and adjust my intake accordingly. I am pretty good with intuitive eating though (in deficit, maintenance or gaining even) .. it can get easier over time with practice, but some people will always need to track.

You can start by not tracking one day a week, then move to a few days, then tracking only one macro (protein for example).. then maybe move to not at all.
    Yeah thank you!!! This is what I’m going to try
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have logged and weighed myself daily for the past 19 months. Lost 38# in 1st 6 months and have maintained my weight over the past 13 doing it.

Not going to stop now and don't think I ever will.

I don't obsess about it but it's a habit now that keeps me focused on what and how much I eat so that my weight remains on track.

I stopped doing this once b4 and quickly fell into bad eating practices that caused me to regain weight and I don't want that to happen again, because I worked too hard to lose the weight, drop my BF and reshape my body.

• mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I rarely log anymore......Every once in a while I will for a couple days just see where I'm at.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Okay guys so I’m a goal weight and just working on recomp now and I’ve realized that I absolutely never take a day off tracking even though I have a super good idea of portions and food at this point. I think yes just become apart of my routine! Out of curiosity, does anyone take days off of tracking? I’m considering playing around with a tracking break to see how my intuition will do for 30 days. Has anyone tried this before?

It seems like you’re almost talking about two different things: taking a break and not tracking.

There’s a thread in this section called “Refeeds and Diet Breaks.” You could really benefit from checking it out—tons of great info in there.

You can take a break from being at a deficit, now that you’re at your goal weight. Personally, I need to track. On a 4 year + streak right now. Even when I go over my calories, the accountability is always there and always helpful.

If you need the mental break from tracking, do what will work for you.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Okay guys so I’m a goal weight and just working on recomp now and I’ve realized that I absolutely never take a day off tracking even though I have a super good idea of portions and food at this point. I think yes just become apart of my routine! Out of curiosity, does anyone take days off of tracking? I’m considering playing around with a tracking break to see how my intuition will do for 30 days. Has anyone tried this before?

It seems like you’re almost talking about two different things: taking a break and not tracking.

There’s a thread in this section called “Refeeds and Diet Breaks.” You could really benefit from checking it out—tons of great info in there.

You can take a break from being at a deficit, now that you’re at your goal weight. Personally, I need to track. On a 4 year + streak right now. Even when I go over my calories, the accountability is always there and always helpful.

If you need the mental break from tracking, do what will work for you.
    I meant a break from tracking. I already eat at maintance calories and my weight has either been stable or slowly going down still so I feel like at this point, I know how to eat for my body, I’m just a little addicted to the process of tracking
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I went to Germany for a week (from US); I logged everyday. I guesstimated...

I logged most of the day on Christmas. I generally don't take a day off, b/c it's a habit now.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    When I stop tracking for long periods of time I find myself eating way too much (like instead of eating a portion of chips I’ll just bring the bag with me to the couch and eat half the bag lol) I do plan on taking short breaks for various reasons. I will when I’m traveling for example or Christmas, birthday etc.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I'll take days where I log less strictly, but Every day gets logged even if it's just an entry that clearly indicates I ate more than I estimated.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If you don't log "cheat meals" then you are just playing games with yourself. Eat it, enjoy it, log it, and then move on.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    yes when I'm bulking. When I am seriously focused on losing fat I track it all. Birthdays holidays etc. even if I go over, I track it just to be in the habit.
  • temazur
    temazur Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Oh god, I did this, it was a disaster. I tracked for nearly two years straight, when I did gain weight I at least knew where I went wrong, but I managed to keep it at a minimum of gain and lose that back.

I stopped tracking around early November to take a break because "I deserved it, blah blah blah" until the new year. Needless to say, the results were not pretty. If I ever do take a break again, it's going to be for no more than one week, so the damage will be manageable.

Also should note that, for me, it's all about portion control. I'm not much of a snacker, but I am bad about reasonable portions at meals, Knowing I have to enter it keeps me on track, if I don't do that, then I make less-healthy choices and end up with serving size creep over time. Same for alcohol consumption, knowing I need to track it means I stick to my plan for social drinking. Not tracking it means it's easier to say yes to a second and third pint even though my original food budget called for just one pint. :/
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I have days when I don't care, but I generally do try and log afterwards, at least approximately.

Some days I just can't remember or can't be bothered (Christmas day, new year's eve...) and never get round to it, but I'm totally ok with logging a deeply naughty day and then getting on with life.
    I find that logging makes me more mindful about what I'm eating, particularly as my PT has access to my diary (it's open anyway, but he follows me) and will give me a poke if I get too ridiculous.