Cramps - what is your solution?

Options
I am just getting back on my cut diet (lean proteins, green veggies, brown rice). Since returning to this diet on 1/2/18 and hitting the gym after only going 6 times in December I have been getting wicked cramps (mostly calves) when running but also in my hip flexers when I tried rowing.

I do cardio after my 45 min workout. I stretch and I drink about a gallon of water daily. I was using C4 pre-workout but have ditched that as I thought that might be the issue but I'm still cramping up.

I am also drinking (ACV, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, honey, water) in the morning.

These cramps are really cramping my style (-:

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    have you cut too much sodium out of your diet?
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Get sodium in your diet balanced out with potassium. If you are sweating or peeing it all out it needs to be replaced. You are out of balance lacking these minerals.
    Google it and fix it!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Sodium and magnesium.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I am just getting back on my cut diet (lean proteins, green veggies, brown rice). Since returning to this diet on 1/2/18 and hitting the gym after only going 6 times in December I have been getting wicked cramps (mostly calves) when running but also in my hip flexers when I tried rowing.

I do cardio after my 45 min workout. I stretch and I drink about a gallon of water daily. I was using C4 pre-workout but have ditched that as I thought that might be the issue but I'm still cramping up.

I am also drinking (ACV, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, honey, water) in the morning.

These cramps are really cramping my style (-:

Oh, and this is total woo. Unless you actually like it, it isn't doing anything for you.
  • Gregory_Horton
    Gregory_Horton Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any diuretics? These can flush potassium and magnesium from the muscle.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any diuretics? These can flush potassium and magnesium from the muscle.

Yes, he's drinking over a gallon of water a day.

As above. Electrolytes(salts-Magnesium, Sodium, Potassium) are your issue.
  • jasondwightpowell
    jasondwightpowell Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I'm going to incorporate Magnesium, Sodium, Potassium supplements back into my diet to balance everything out.

And might eliminate this because it tastes like crap lol - I heard it helped with digestion but if that is bunk I will stop drinking it every morning...

(I am also drinking (ACV, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, honey, water) in the morning).
  • _lora
    _lora Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Arnica is really great as well, from my own experience.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I'm going to incorporate Magnesium, Sodium, Potassium supplements back into my diet to balance everything out.

And might eliminate this because it tastes like crap lol - I heard it helped with digestion but if that is bunk I will stop drinking it every morning...

(I am also drinking (ACV, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, honey, water) in the morning).

or just drink as much water as you need and eat a balanced diet
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    _lora wrote: »

Great for wasting your money. just like the ACV it's woo
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    _lora wrote: »

Great for wasting your money. just like the ACV it's woo

Arnica is great after a heavy leg session.
    Guess it all depends on who’s massaging
    Into your legs lol
  • raeka8
    raeka8 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    May need potassium. When I complained of leg cramps (calves and feet), my doctor advised making sure I had enough potassium.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You probably don't need to buy a lot of special electrolyte supplements. The gallon of plain water per day is likely your biggest problem, as you seem to be overhydrating. Just drink when you're thirsty. If you're sweating a lot at the gym, have a sports drink with electrolytes instead of plain water. Eat a banana for extra potassium.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    whiskey?
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Gatorade
  • jasondwightpowell
    Options
    whiskey?

This is likely my problem - I cut it out of my diet!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I had cramping issues when I first started and it was a result of cutting back too much on sodium. I started to have issues again about a year ago and my trainer recommended that I take a magnesium supplement...seemed to do the trick.
  • jasondwightpowell
    Options
    Ran 2 miles outside yesterday at 29 degrees and no cramping.

I added Zinc, Magnesium, Potassium and because I'm old AF - I am taking Centrum Silver.