Did I just ruin my diet??

Options
My daily caloric deficit is only 300. Does that mean that my whole week will go to waste if I eat too much on my cheat day? Because I just ate too much on my cheat day lol

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    How much is too much? If it were less than 2100 calories there will be a slight loss. Around 2100 calories there will be no change. Above and there will be a small gain.

Either way don't feel guilty. Just work out why you went over to help prevent it from happening too often and get back on that weight loss horse because the damage done would have been minimal.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    What are you calling "too much" in this case?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    calorie wise ...maybe for the week? Depends what all you ate. But you didnt ruin the benefits of the healthier food youve probably been eating, Or the practice of a deficit youve had. I wouldnt recommend doing it often. But i wouldnt call it "ruining" your diet to occasionally go over

edit: For what its worth i think cheat days are stupid, You cheat no one but yourself. Im down for treats...Even going over calories...But my body still knows what im eating and i accept whatever consequence that brings or whatever benefit from not eating the huge amounts of calories or whatever. Calling it cheat doesnt negate the calories
  • FitLaughLove
    FitLaughLove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I’ve been staying between 1100 and 1200. I’ve calculated my maintenance and it’s around 1500. (Im a short person) Today I probably hit around 2500 calories.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I’ve been staying between 1100 and 1200. I’ve calculated my maintenance and it’s around 1500. (Im a short person) Today I probably hit around 2500 calories.

thn math says you canceled out around 3-3.5 ish days...if your guess is right .....still in deficit. Think about that next time though, Was it atleast something delicious and worth it :p ? My christmas meal canceled out a months work LOL. completely worth it
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

How short are we talking? This is your TDEE you calculated? Using what method/site?

How long have you been using MFP and what results have you had so far? Do you use a food scale? Do you exercise?
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    threec wrote: »
    Probably pretty much... just out of curiosity what is the point of a cheat day? Why can’t you just fit what you want into your calories? I get 1200 a day to lose a pound a week if I want something outside my calories I either make it fit or work for it

Perhaps because you know in advance most of your eating will be done away from home, with food made by others, so that accurate logging is impossible?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    this is why i dont advocate cheat days. make what you want to eat fit.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    One day a week is too often for a real cheat day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    In the bigger picture, you can't really ruin anything in a day...weight loss and weight management in general is all about the long game, not day to day minutia...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    One day a week is too often for a real cheat day.

i get 3 legitimate i dont give a *kitten* days a year.

my birthday, xmas day, and thanksgiving.

other than that, no. not to say over days dont happen, but days over MAINTENANCE are REALLY rare. I at least try to balance out those accidental days with more exercise, or cutting back a bit on subsequent days to try and even it out a bit.