Did I just ruin my diet??

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    You can’t “ruin”’your “diet” with one meal. Play the long game.

You can wipe out your weekly defecit with one meal.....some may think that ruined it.

I think the point was to look at the bigger picture...when you're playing the long game, a day is completely irrelevant...
  • SundropEclipse
    SundropEclipse Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Even if you ate an extra 3k on a single day the worst you'll see is a bit of extra waste weight (also water weight if it's heavy in sodium) on the scale for a day or two. I tend to eat more on Saturdays and the weight is usually gone by Monday morning.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I like to look at my calories in versus calories out on a weekly basis when it feels like that cheat day is going to ruin everything. We know that a lb of fat loss is typically 3500 calories of deficit. Maybe you went over today, but it's what you do for the other 6 days of the week that will make the difference.

Shifting my perspective helps me both to not feel really bad about those occasional days when things got out of control, but also to remain consistent and get back to my normal groove as quickly as I can. It's the consistency that gets you places in the long run.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    One day a week is too often for a real cheat day.

i get 3 legitimate i dont give a *kitten* days a year.

my birthday, xmas day, and thanksgiving.

other than that, no. not to say over days dont happen, but days over MAINTENANCE are REALLY rare. I at least try to balance out those accidental days with more exercise, or cutting back a bit on subsequent days to try and even it out a bit.

Honestly, for me, it's a little more often, but no more than 6 a year while in a deficit. And honestly, if it's more than 1 a month, you might as well just adjust your deficit. But I fit BWW inside my deficit over the holidays, so.... YEAH... Thanksgiving Went nuts, My birthday... Probably was within deficit or at least close... 4th of July... Yeah...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    One day a week is too often for a real cheat day.

i get 3 legitimate i dont give a *kitten* days a year.

my birthday, xmas day, and thanksgiving.

other than that, no. not to say over days dont happen, but days over MAINTENANCE are REALLY rare. I at least try to balance out those accidental days with more exercise, or cutting back a bit on subsequent days to try and even it out a bit.

Honestly, for me, it's a little more often, but no more than 6 a year while in a deficit. And honestly, if it's more than 1 a month, you might as well just adjust your deficit. But I fit BWW inside my deficit over the holidays, so.... YEAH... Thanksgiving Went nuts, My birthday... Probably was within deficit or at least close... 4th of July... Yeah...

mine fall 3 months in a row - nov, dec, and january.

lololol
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    My daily caloric deficit is only 300. Does that mean that my whole week will go to waste if I eat too much on my cheat day? Because I just ate too much on my cheat day lol

Depends, how many calories were in your cheat day?

Let's say you maintained your 300 calorie deficit 6 days out of 7 (6x300=1800). If you ate above your maintenance calories by 1800 then yes, you wiped out your weekly deficit. There are those who do a cheat meal instead of a cheat day.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I lost control and ate everything for lunch. To stop eating, I lay in bed with my eyes closed for an hour.
    Afterward I got to work exercising and cardio burned off every thing with 3 hours of treadmill work. Yes, 3 hours. I got my food log back to green and did not bother trying to get my macros in order. Today, I checked in with a loss, so my week of dieting is not ruined, and I've paid closer attention to getting more protein today. That's how to ask, "Have I ruined it?" and answer with a most emphatic "No!".