What gives?? I'm so HUNGRY!

Options

Replies

• CodiRuth
    CodiRuth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    why is no one mentioning water? Sometimes the body interperates thirst as hunger. Make sure that you are getting hydrated. you aren't really hungry unless you are hydrated and hungry. Also, is it real hunger? You can feel the physical pain in your gut- not just appetite, right? those are a couple things i always check. I'm not just thirsty and I'm not just bored.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    CodiRuth wrote: »
    why is no one mentioning water? Sometimes the body interperates thirst as hunger. Make sure that you are getting hydrated. you aren't really hungry unless you are hydrated and hungry. Also, is it real hunger? You can feel the physical pain in your gut- not just appetite, right? those are a couple things i always check. I'm not just thirsty and I'm not just bored.

A couple people did.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Others have addressed the calorie goal, so I won't bother.

However - if you're eating breakfast you're kick-starting your metabolism for the day. Sometimes in a fast (like not eating breakfast), you just stop feeling hungry. Once you feed yourself, your body is jumpstarted and ready to go.

Something you could try is adding more greens/vegetables to your meal. And even really good quality grains like quinoa or steel cut oats. These things help add some bulk to our meals and that can make a huge difference.

Another thought:
    When I eat smaller breakfasts (like under 400 calories), I end up hungry and needing a snack. If I eat a balanced, larger breakfast, i don't find I need that morning snack as I just don't get hungry until a hour or so before lunch. That's really helped me psychologically stay ahead of the feeling of deprivation - if you're not always hungry, you won't always feel like you're missing out on eating what you want.
  • Jingsi84
    Jingsi84 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200/day because I am sedentary too. It's not an unreasonable amount of calories if that is what MFP has recommended and you aren't losing too fast. I have found that if I skip breakfast and eat lunch then I am not as hungry as if I had eaten breakfast for some reason. Then I eat a large lunch and a smaller dinner. It seems as though you eating breakfast made you hungrier than normal and since breakfast isn't required for weight loss I'd just keep skipping it if I were you.
  • southrnchic479
    southrnchic479 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine it's water. I subbed my coffee for a glass of cold water this morning (I use like, 100 calories of creamer so I figured I better put that toward actual nutritious food today) and it's currently 12:40 and I've already had a little over 32 oz from my bottle. I'm going to weigh myself this evening and report back, as I have no idea where I'm currently standing. My guess is 150-155, my goal is 125-130, though I really don't care about the number so long as I like how I look and I want to look healthy and toned, not skinny per se. I am 5'5". I may consider readjusting my weekly goal (currently at 1 lb a week) once I know how much I actually weigh.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine it's water. I subbed my coffee for a glass of cold water this morning (I use like, 100 calories of creamer so I figured I better put that toward actual nutritious food today) and it's currently 12:40 and I've already had a little over 32 oz from my bottle. I'm going to weigh myself this evening and report back, as I have no idea where I'm currently standing. My guess is 150-155, my goal is 125-130, though I really don't care about the number so long as I like how I look and I want to look healthy and toned, not skinny per se. I am 5'5". I may consider readjusting my weekly goal (currently at 1 lb a week) once I know how much I actually weigh.

You might want to wait to do you weigh in until the morning. If you weigh yourself in the evening you will also be weighing everything you ingested for the day. Ideally, you would want to weigh in at the same time and under the same conditions for each weigh in. Most people do this first thing in the morning before they've ingested food and beverages and after getting rid of waste.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    CodiRuth wrote: »

if you are hungry you should not feel pain in your gut. hunger is a signal. if you are feeling pain in your gut something is wrong. being hungry should not be painful unless you are eating way too little and basically starving yourself. unless you have a health issue that causes pain.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Jingsi84 wrote: »
    I'm at 1200/day because I am sedentary too. It's not an unreasonable amount of calories if that is what MFP has recommended and you aren't losing too fast.

We don't know that this is the case.

@southrnchic479 how did you get to 1,200? Pretty much EVERYONE will lose on 1,200 as that's the lowest that MFP will take you and the lowest recommended for women. I think you're hungry after breakfast because you're STILL HUNGRY FROM YESTERDAY.
    aeloine wrote: »

[Depending on how much you have to lose]
    More than 75 lbs. 2 lbs./week
    40-75 lbs. 1.5 lbs./week
    10-40 lbs. 1 lb./week
    Less than 10 lbs. 0.5 lb./week

Again, make sure your goal is not too aggressive. Being active gives you "bonus" calories, while being inactive doesn't mean that you have to drop it all the way down. I think that you're hungry because you're not eating a whole lot, and there's no way to tell whether that's accurate or not until we get your stats (height, age, weight). Judging by your profile picture, you should be aiming for 1 lb/week. Is that what your goal is on MFP, or did you max it out to 2 lbs/week?
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    It can take me a few days to get used to lower calories. If I'm regularly eating 2200, and quickly restrict to 1300, my body just expects me to continue giving it more food more often. The first few days after returning to a calorie deficit are sometimes a little uncomfortable.

I find that a mix of high-fiber, carb-rich food + fat keeps me full, so low-carb doesn't really cut it for me. Everyone is different. You could play with your macros until you find your sweet spot for satiety if a low carb plan is leaving you hungry.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    kdbulger wrote: »
    Others have addressed the calorie goal, so I won't bother.

However - if you're eating breakfast you're kick-starting your metabolism for the day. Sometimes in a fast (like not eating breakfast), you just stop feeling hungry. Once you feed yourself, your body is jumpstarted and ready to go.

Something you could try is adding more greens/vegetables to your meal. And even really good quality grains like quinoa or steel cut oats. These things help add some bulk to our meals and that can make a huge difference.

Another thought:
    When I eat smaller breakfasts (like under 400 calories), I end up hungry and needing a snack. If I eat a balanced, larger breakfast, i don't find I need that morning snack as I just don't get hungry until a hour or so before lunch. That's really helped me psychologically stay ahead of the feeling of deprivation - if you're not always hungry, you won't always feel like you're missing out on eating what you want.

you are not kickstarting your metabolism eating breakfast., your metabolism runs all the time. if not youre dead.you dont kick start anything. many people dont eat breakfast and their metabolism is just fine,
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited January 2018
    Options

the toned look comes from losing fat over any existing muscle. which is why many recommend weight/resistance training to help that along while losing weight.it really does change how your body looks. Im a smaller size at a higher weight because of it.but weighing first thing in the am after you used the bathroom and either naked or in your underwear is best since weight fluctuates throughout the day
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i tend to eat around 1200 cals a day.

if i eat breakfast, i tend to be STARVING ALL DAY

it doesnt always work like that, but often enough that i dont eat an early breakfast. when i go to the gym, i often have a mid morning snack that resembles a breakfast lol
  • southrnchic479
    southrnchic479 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    @aeloine Yes MFP gave me 1200 based on 1 lb a week. I'm 27, 5'5", estimated at 150-155lb with a goal weight of 125-130 would put me at 20-30 lb left to lose. And you're probably right about being hungry from yesterday - that's very possible because I had an off day, no food we had in the house seemed to interest me, so I had 287 cal left over (which of course I don't normally do).
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @aeloine Yes MFP gave me 1200 based on 1 lb a week. I'm 27, 5'5", estimated at 150-155lb with a goal weight of 125-130 would put me at 20-30 lb left to lose. And you're probably right about being hungry from yesterday - that's very possible because I had an off day, no food we had in the house seemed to interest me, so I had 287 cal left over (which of course I don't normally do).

Thanks for clearing up your stats! I think that you did that earlier on, but I may have missed your response because I was already typing and the page didn't refresh.

Consider eating those 287 back. A lot of people track WEEKLY rather than daily specifically for instances like this.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Some people aren't made to be "snackers"- maybe you'd do better with one larger meal for breakfast. I have also had the experience that if I skip breakfast, I do OK too. But a little something gets me all revved up & wanting more. I also find keeping the coffee, tea, or whatever going throughout the morning (if possible) helps.

As others have mentioned, you may want to take a second look at your weekly weight loss goal/calorie allowance. Also, if you've just gotten back at it, you might consider easing back into your deficit so your body doesn't protest quite so much.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1270 base and rarely eat breakfast, or if I do I make it a substantial breakfast and eat a very light lunch. Agree with the post above that snacking isn't necessarily beneficial for everyone. I'd rather not have just a little bit of something in exchange for larger 'real' meals.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that your calories might be too low.

I see you're trying to go low carb, but I personally find fiber fills me up just as well if not better than protein. There doesn't seem to be any fiber in what you've eaten so far. Can you fit some more fiber in? Are you open to grains such as oats? If not, more veggies?
    In addition to the protein, not instead of.

All that aside, I can also say that I am always hungry the first few days of logging again. If you're sure this calorie amount is ok for you, you may just need to give it a couple days and then see how you feel.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm 5' 5", currently losing on 1360 calories and if I'm honest most of the days I go over, but my weight loss trend is down. I only have about 5-10 to my goal weight though, so I am losing very slowly.

*editing to include the fact that I work an 8-5 desk job
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If you don't normally eat breakfast that could be a trigger. I personally, can't eat breakfast because once I start eating I just want to keep eating. I have coffee in the morning until lunch time and then eat lunch, dinner, and dessert before bed. If I have something in the morning I STARVE ALL DAY NO MATTER HOW MUCH I'M EATING. I become a bottomless pit.
  • chispaza
    chispaza Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Maybe what I'm really asking is, why after eating breakfast (which I normally don't eat - perhaps I should have mentioned that in the first place?) am I so hungry?

When I start eating for the day, I tend to want to keep eating and feel hungry after I've started eating. This is one of the reasons that I started doing IF. So, I don't start eating until lunch time and I stop eating after dinner. This helps me to not feel so hungry and I am able to eat larger lunches and dinners which helps me feel more satisfied.