What gives?? I'm so HUNGRY!

Options
13»

Replies

• southrnchic479
    southrnchic479 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    @Go_Deskercise that's awesome. What is/was starting/goal weight and how long have you been at it? We share similar stats so that is inspiring to me!
  • southrnchic479
    Options
    So, FYI...I ate back my calories yesterday that I missed the day before - did not eat breakfast this morning - just 100 cal worth of coffee creamer in my coffee at 7AM, and I wasn't hungry 'til about 10 so I just ate 2 quiche muffins at 10:45. I have a theory, thanks to some posters on here: STOMACH ACID. I read up on dyspepsia and I think because I had such a calorie deficit from the day before, not only was I hungry the next day, but I had so much STOMACH ACID that I couldn't decipher hunger from the acid - it almost felt like heartburn yesterday when I was feeling what I thought was hunger. I would eat, and it would go away for a little while (Idk, 30 minutes?) and then the "hunger" would be back again, because I just had way too much acid. That's my theory anyway. Maybe it'll help someone else lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh, and I only weighed 149 lb so woohoo for not gaining as much as I thought I did! It's a good day haha
  • kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Maybe what I'm really asking is, why after eating breakfast (which I normally don't eat - perhaps I should have mentioned that in the first place?) am I so hungry?
    [/quote]

I know for me, if I skip breakfast I can make it to lunch easily with only coffee but once I start eating it's like fuel to the fire and then I'm hungry every couple of hours especially if I'm working out.
  • southrnchic479
    Options
    I know for me, if I skip breakfast I can make it to lunch easily with only coffee but once I start eating it's like fuel to the fire and then I'm hungry every couple of hours especially if I'm working out.

A lot of posters have commented the same, and I am in the same boat for sure. I'd love to know the science behind this! I hear a lot of people saying it "jump starts" your metabolism but I also hear a lot of people saying "no it doesn't!" - but still the question remains, "why are we so dang hungry after breakfast?!" LOL Obviously something is going on...
  • anniee1
    anniee1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Drink water and graze on fruit and veg (carrot stick, celery sticks). That’s what I do. I’m on the same sort of calories as you. So check out my diary or send a friend request if you’d like. Eggs are my go to if I feel super hungry!
    With my diary I’ve generally not been at all hungry! :)
  • anniee1
    anniee1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Plus I have a desk job so understand the feeling. X
  • southrnchic479
    Options
    @anniee1 If eggs are your go to, you should totally check out this egg quiche recipe I've been using the past couple days. Super yummy and full of protein. I used low fat cheeses to lower the calories and fat but everything else I kept the same plus I added some green onion in with the mushrooms. I did them in a 12 cup muffin tin so for each one it's 79 calories, 4g of carbs, 4g of fat and 7g of protein. They are DELICIOUS! I stuck them in the freezer and then just wrap them in paper towels in the microwave. I just noticed, nutritionally it's about the same as eating just one egg, but they taste SO much better I don't mind having 2 or 3 of them for breakfast or snack. Next time I'm going to make like 3 trays :P
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

A lot of posters have commented the same, and I am in the same boat for sure. I'd love to know the science behind this! I hear a lot of people saying it "jump starts" your metabolism but I also hear a lot of people saying "no it doesn't!" - but still the question remains, "why are we so dang hungry after breakfast?!" LOL Obviously something is going on...

your metabolism runs all the time. you arent jump starting anything. you are not speeding it up either. exercise does that.if your metabolism stops then you die. if it slows down which it does with age thats one thing but its not going to be enough most likely to see a difference except for how many calories you take in vs how much you burn.It should be a big difference either.its said that you can prevent the slow down by staying active and retaining muscle as much as you can into later years.
  • southrnchic479
    Options
    your metabolism runs all the time. you arent jump starting anything. you are not speeding it up either. exercise does that.if your metabolism stops then you die. if it slows down which it does with age thats one thing but its not going to be enough most likely to see a difference except for how many calories you take in vs how much you burn.It should be a big difference either.its said that you can prevent the slow down by staying active and retaining muscle as much as you can into later years.

I hear you about the metabolism bit, but that still doesn't answer the question as to why we're all so hungry after breakfast. Apparently this is why (finally! an answer lol). I'm titling it: "Why we are all so dang hungry after breakfast." In short - it has to do with cortisol and insulin levels. So while my hunger isn't satiated after breakfast, at least now my curiosity is :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

I hear you about the metabolism bit, but that still doesn't answer the question as to why we're all so hungry after breakfast. Apparently this is why (finally! an answer lol). I'm titling it: "Why we are all so dang hungry after breakfast." In short - it has to do with cortisol and insulin levels. So while my hunger isn't satiated after breakfast, at least now my curiosity is :)

for you it could be what you are or arent eating for breakfast . why "we" doesnt fit everyone though. not everyone is hungry after breakfast. you could always try fasting where you dont eat breakfast . your insulin will rise after you eat even in a healthy person. but being hungry after you eat could also mean something else is going on. parasites is one. a thyroid disorder can be another.type 2 diabetes,insulin resistance,etc can also make you more hungry. and shape is hardly a reputable source of info.

If anyone is extremely hungry after eating breakfast then they need to talk to a dr and have tests run to rule anything out. especially if they are getting enough fiber,water and other macros.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15699223
  • juliejoy66
    juliejoy66 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am the same way so frustrating !!! I try to do something on my treadmill and drink a
    Protein drink and not eat anything until lunch that seems to help Best of luck
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Maybe what I'm really asking is, why after eating breakfast (which I normally don't eat - perhaps I should have mentioned that in the first place?) am I so hungry?

I know for me, if I skip breakfast I can make it to lunch easily with only coffee but once I start eating it's like fuel to the fire and then I'm hungry every couple of hours especially if I'm working out.[/quote]

Same here! I put off eating for as long as possible. It's 1pm here and all I've had is tea and coffee all day. I do however add milk to to my cuppa's which helps with the belly grumbles.
  • Gangalous
    Gangalous Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A few things that I’ve found realy help curb hunger is 1. Starting intermitent fasting, eat in an 8 hour window and push your first calorie intake later in the day. It may start off difficult if youre used to lots of meals because your grelin hormone will spike during times youre used to eating but it actualy helps fight hunger after a few weeks. 2. Make sure youre eating enough fat and carbs in your diet. Fat makes you feel satisfied longer and carbs help fill you up quicker, fiberous carbs like apples and whole grains. 3. Carbinated water and or coffee (black no cream) until your fasting window starts makes getting used to intermitent fasting easier.

As a side note, if you are eating below maintinance calories and eating multiple small meals and snacking a day youre making it harder on yourself. That meathod is fine if youre eating above maintinance to build muscle but on a cut it will make you more hungry more often.