I'm heading to Trader Joes this weekend - what should I put on my list?

Options
I have a few days off this week and I'm heading to Trader Joe's. The store is in a part of town that I normally don't go to, so I'm going to stock up. Plus, I've only been there a couple times so I don't know what's good.

What are my Trader Joe must-haves? Especially items that make quick and easy (but healthier) dinners and lunches for me to take to work.

Replies

• kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato gnocchi!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    None of the things I typically buy at Trader Joe's fulfill the 'healthier' standard. Namely, cookie butter :lol: I love TJ's though. Any of their frozen dishes, really. Can't go wrong!
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I find their frozen chicken tenderloins a must have for my freezer!
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Try trader joe's you tube videos- and see what strikes your fancy! Wish we had a TJ near me(sigh)
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Their cookie butter is KILLER. Lower cals than Peanut butter and goes on everything.
    If you can not eat the whole pack at one, get their frozen macarons.
    They have awesome veggie pasta and cauliflower rice and amazing microwaveable selections.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    This might sound odd, but we buy several of the Reduced Guilt Mac 'n Cheese every time we go. There are 6 in the freezer right now. The perfect amount and very reasonable calorie count. And they're very tasty.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Corn and wheat blend tortillas--80 calories each, good compromise for us as I prefer corn tortillas and my husband likes flour. We both like these.
    Oh Yeah One bars--the TJ's here has the birthday cake flavor (highly recommend) and the maple (meh).
    Sparkling mineral water if you're into that. I like the cranberry orange flavor.
    If you're interested in meatless protein, the vegan crispy chicken tenders are really good, as is the vegan tikka masala.
    The chocolate "lovers" bars, especially the dark chocolate. They come two bars to a box and are easily broken into smaller pieces.
    Frozen yellow jackfruit curry, though this may not be everyone's cup of tea: https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/yellow-jackfruit-curry-with-jasmine-rice
    Bamba! Like Cheetos Puffs, but peanut butter. You can have a big portion for 120 calories. https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/bamba-peanut-snacks
    Bollywood popcorn (do they still have that?)
    The chocolate passport if they still have any from the holidays--8 or 10 small single-origin chocolate bars so you can sample chocolate from different parts of the world. 230 calories per bar; my husband and I share each bar for a 115 calorie dessert.
    Cornbread crisps are tasty but not nearly as calorie-friendly as the Bamba is.
    Dark chocolate peanut butter cups. Tasty but high calorie (200 calories for 3 pieces) and addictive, hence why I only buy the tiny bag at the checkout stand and not the full size box.
    Frozen spinach artichoke dip. Surprisingly low in calories for a spinach artichoke dip (45 calories for 1/8 of the package; I'll admit to having eaten an entire box for dinner by myself more than once, but it's probably good to share it.)
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Corn and wheat blend tortillas--80 calories each, good compromise for us as I prefer corn tortillas and my husband likes flour. We both like these.
    Oh Yeah One bars--the TJ's here has the birthday cake flavor (highly recommend) and the maple (meh).
    Sparkling mineral water if you're into that. I like the cranberry orange flavor.
    If you're interested in meatless protein, the vegan crispy chicken tenders are really good, as is the vegan tikka masala.
    The chocolate "lovers" bars, especially the dark chocolate. They come two bars to a box and are easily broken into smaller pieces.
    Frozen yellow jackfruit curry, though this may not be everyone's cup of tea: https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/yellow-jackfruit-curry-with-jasmine-rice
    Bamba! Like Cheetos Puffs, but peanut butter. You can have a big portion for 120 calories. https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/bamba-peanut-snacks
    Bollywood popcorn (do they still have that?)
    The chocolate passport if they still have any from the holidays--8 or 10 small single-origin chocolate bars so you can sample chocolate from different parts of the world. 230 calories per bar; my husband and I share each bar for a 115 calorie dessert.
    Cornbread crisps are tasty but not nearly as calorie-friendly as the Bamba is.
    Dark chocolate peanut butter cups. Tasty but high calorie (200 calories for 3 pieces) and addictive, hence why I only buy the tiny bag at the checkout stand and not the full size box.
    Frozen spinach artichoke dip. Surprisingly low in calories for a spinach artichoke dip (45 calories for 1/8 of the package; I'll admit to having eaten an entire box for dinner by myself more than once, but it's probably good to share it.)

Oh man, I forgot to see if they still had those when I was there. I wanted to pick up a couple for my stash. I bet they're gone by my next visit.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Stir fry sauces are great for a quick dinner. I particularly like their General Tao's sauce and green curry simmer sauce.
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    my husband and I are Paleo, so we stick to their riced veggies and their frozen turkey burgers.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Black bean pasta!
  • MossiO
    MossiO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I like the stuffed flounder. And mahi burgers. And chili lime chicken burgers. And the 21 spice salute!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Good cheap coffee
    Marinated chicken strips
    Cheap cheese ravioli
    Good veggie burgers
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 967 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I love TJ's wine, quinoa, wild rice blend, lentils, beans, frozen chicken and fish, sugar free chocolate, nuts, multi seed crackers, breads, vegetables, bag of small avocados, small tri-color potatoes, salad mixes and flowers! Take your time shopping there. It is fun. My husband loves their frozen precooked steaks and lambs.

Oh and almond butter and egg white protein powder is very reasonable at TJ's.

• Getfit4Jess
    Getfit4Jess Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Wine
    Orange Chicken (in the frozen section)
    Veggie fried rice (in the frozen section)
    reduced guilt spinach and kale dip
    reduced guilt mac and cheese
    everything seasoning
    Ravioli
    Fresh flowers (cheapest place I can find them $3-4)

• vanorderkati1
    vanorderkati1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Every thing but the bagel seasoning! I put it on toast and avaacdo it’s SO GOOD.
  • jordandills
    jordandills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Frozen riced cauliflower, salsa (honestly any variety I've had from there has been good), frozen salmon burgers, frozen chile lime chicken burgers, and chile lime seasoning mix.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Cookie butter, idgaf. Chicken cilantro wontons. Ok I'm at a loss.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    banana chocolate chip protein muffins
    inside out carrot cakes (definitely a treat, but super delicious)
    everything but the bagel seasoning
    bread (love their breads! tastes way better than other stores)
    hummus
    pre-packaged salads (if you like those. they are a lot less expensive at TJs)
    tea bags

Make sure you do a full walk around the store though. They might have things that you love that no one else has mentioned. I've never had a bad item from TJs so it's worth taking the risk to try something you haven't had before.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    How come people always think TJ's has healthy food? It's just a lower priced grocery store, isn't it? I shop there a lot, but it's for the prices and the little cups of coffee, not the health. They have cheap wine, cheese, flowers, frozen broccoli, and non-gmo corn chips I like. Most of their fresh produce is packaged in bulk so you have to buy the whole thing and then throw half of it out when it rots so other than onions, I get my fresh produce elsewhere. Their dark chocolate covered caramels and dark chocolate peanut butter cups are really addictive. Their gluten free pasta is the second best on the market with the best price.