Started my diet Wednesday... not lost any weight for 2 days!

Options
Hi guys
I started my diet this Wednesday and saw great results. I’m 25 years old, around 5 ft 9, and I started off as around 15 stone 9. Within several days, I dropped down to 15 stone 2-3.
I actually put on a few 0.?kg yesterday and today, so now I’ve managed to actually put back on at least 0.5kg within 2 days!
I’m confused. I eat around 1,200 calories a day, but after walking it’s more like a 1000!
I’m desperate to try and lose a stone within this next month or so. I don’t have a set goal as such as I’m hoping to get back down to at least 13 and a half/14 stone so that we can try again for another baby after our miscarriage.
Any support would really be appreciated — I know the body fluctuates but all I wanted was for the dramatic results to continue (must have been water weight, lol!).

Replies

• HansieGOAL
    HansieGOAL Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tavis.
    Eurghhhh... suppose I’ll have to start weighing myself every week instead of every single day. It was really rewarding to start with and now it’s just like... ‘weighing me down’ - excuse the pun, lol!
    I know dramatic weight loss is never advised but I sure would have loved to have dropped a stone within 4-5 weeks. I never intend to overeat again.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear, you will not see a straight downward trend. Also, with the amount of weight you want to lose (about 25-30 lbs right?) a rate of loss of 1 lb or 0.5 kilo/week is appropriate. Losing more rapidly can result in loss of lean body mass, fatigue, and in general is not sustainable. Additionally you may not have to go as low as 1200 cals to lose weight.

I'm sorry for your loss and admire your commitment for health to try again for another baby. Rapidly losing weight isn't necessarily a formula for health - you want to make sure you're getting adequate nutrition and taking care of your body so that you will be healthy and strong when you become pregnant again.

Best of luck and take some time to read the stickied most helpful forum posts at the top of the getting started section - you'll probably find a lot of good info there.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    HansieGOAL wrote: »
    Thanks Tavis.
    Eurghhhh... suppose I’ll have to start weighing myself every week instead of every single day. It was really rewarding to start with and now it’s just like... ‘weighing me down’ - excuse the pun, lol!
    I know dramatic weight loss is never advised but I sure would have loved to have dropped a stone within 4-5 weeks. I never intend to overeat again.

If you can get your head around the fluctuations, daily weighing and tracking can be quite useful - I find it better than weighing less frequently. I put my weight in to a trending app daily (libra or happy scale) and it smooths out the fluctuations for me. I can see if my general trend is going in the direction I expect!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,485 Member
    Options
    I’m sorry for your loss.

Please reconsider your approach. A moderate calorie deficit monitored with a food diary over time will facilitate weight loss. It really does work. Add in some activity and make modest adjustments when needed.

If you read this board much, you will see that most folks wreck themselves over the time issue.
    The fact is, if you want to make it, you need to be different from most folks.

Crunch some numbers, start a food diary and set up a weigh in system that gets you off the weight loss merri-go-round. You need a livable plan, a cool head and determination. Speed is the way to crash and burn. Don’t.
  • 47of74
    47of74 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Another thing to consider when you weigh yourself is are you weighing yourself the same time every day? When I weigh myself I do it first thing in the morning before I've had anything to eat or drink for the day. I fluctuate too but mines been trending downwards since last summer.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Here is why I would recommend you aim for slower weight loss: I set my goal for losing two pounds a week. I was eating 1200 calories a day, plus the exercise calories MFP said I’d earned. It was too aggressive! I lost 30 pounds in a short period of time, and along the way I also lost some muscle mass, especially in my arms. This despite the fact I added some weight lifting to my routine. I was eating healthier food, but I started losing a lot of hair! This despite the fact I started taking vitamins. So, if your goal is to be healthier, slow down! You will want your body to be as strong and healthy as possible.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    What everyone else is saying. It's better to lose slower and develop better habits that will serve you well once you phase into maintenance. It's a lifestyle change. I lose weight on 1800 calories, though some of that is because I'm tall and fairly active. 1200 isn't enough for me and I feel cranky and unwell, meaning I give up a lot quicker and go back to old habits.
  • AEWin77
    AEWin77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comments above. In the past i've dieted and exercised to the extreme with big weight losses but it's not sustainable. I always end back where I've started! It's best to have a closer look at WHAT your eating rather than drastically altering the amount- particularly looking ahead to once you're pregnant and need to maintain a healthy pregnancy. What I found useful was using visual tools such as food chart showing the proportions of food groups you should be eating-

https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Documents/The-Eatwell-Guide-2016.pdf

Fingers crossed we'll all get to where we want to be in the end!