Ladies, Have You Ever Had a Bad Experience With a Male Personal Trainer?

Options
2»

Replies

• wildcelticrose
    wildcelticrose Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    if you think he's a bad trainer and creepy and weren't happy with your free training session, why would your boyfriend go to him? Find another trainer that you connect better with and move on from this one. Yeah i'd be miffed if anyone touched me, but i'm not surprised about the high pressure sales tactic, thats how he makes his living by selling his services. And i'm not surprised that he was trying to sell you something you may not have wanted. All trainers specialize in different things and push what they do. Find a trainer you like better, there are a billion out there to choose from. I dont understand why your boyfriend is going to him if you find him so creepy

Because it's not all about me. He's making other women uncomfortable as well based on the reviews I've read and he needs to be dealt with.

Some of us actually think about people other than ourselves.
  • wildcelticrose
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I hope that this email isn't the only resolution you receive. If you don't hear anything else from them, I'd follow up with management until the issue is actually resolved.

Oh trust me, I will... the last line in my second email stated, "I expect a response from you; I expect you to deal with it. If not, I'm certain there are agencies I can contact."
  • RangeBoss
    RangeBoss Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Clearly this guy was way out of line. Good for you for taking action. With the documentation you’ve provided, the company has an obligation to investigate. The very different experience with your boyfriend demonstrates a much different approach based on gender. That helps build a case of sexual harassment, not just bad style. Meaning he proved he knows better.

On a personal note, I’m a dad of two daughters. This type of thing really hits my “dad” button. I’m really proud of the way you handled yourself. Sounds like you are a strong and independent woman. Good for you. My only advise for next time, remember that strong kick technique your dad taught you? He deserves one
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I hope that this email isn't the only resolution you receive. If you don't hear anything else from them, I'd follow up with management until the issue is actually resolved.

Oh trust me, I will... the last line in my second email stated, "I expect a response from you; I expect you to deal with it. If not, I'm certain there are agencies I can contact."

Glad you included that last line! It should force them into a call to action, even though any decent person/business should not need to be forced into action after hearing a report of an experience such as yours.

Please keep us updated, from what you’ve been updating thus far, you’re kicking butt.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    my boyfriend just got back from his session with the same trainer.

The trainer was more respectful to him and backed off when asked (in his case it was number of reps and the hard core sales pitch) I had to tell him to get his hands off the area between my neck and shoulder THREE times, and it was about ten times for me to get him to stop the hardcore sales pitch.

Trainer did not have him turn sideways so he could "check out his posture and physique" and then comment on his butt (he had me do it more than once)

Trainer did not have him walk back and forth (away from and towards him (he had me do it more than once)

Trainer did not have him bounce up and down on an exercise ball (makes sense, he doesn't have boobs to watch bounce up and down)

Trainer did not touch his hair which I didn't expect to happen because it's not long, red and curly...
    Just to be fair, checking posture is an important thing. Slouching shoulders leads to neck issues and posture is a great way to assess that right off the bat.
    Walking gaits are another assessment to see if you turn your toes in or out and if knees buckle in or not.
    But bouncing on a ball? Lol, I've never had to do that.
    Anyway, it just sounds like your experience was bad and he didn't seem to pick up on that. He may have clientele that love him, so I would advise you to maybe look at selecting another trainer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Sorry, but his behavior goes well beyond just a “bad fit, move along” IMO. That’s how creeps like this continue to behave the way they do.

100% agree with @Azdak
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I'm not interested in working with, nor paying for a trainer (and if I was, I certainly wouldn't go to him) I went for my free session which I hoped would help me set up my own program to work on, go over the machines in that particular gym so I could use them safely, etc... I haven't used a gym in a long time because I really don't care for them, I'm more of a fitness through activity person, but I'm at the age where strength training is a must.

The BF went in for the same reason, it's a new gym to him. He had already been set up with this trainer before I went in and that that point we both wanted to see wanted to see if he was treated the same way I was, and he was not. He was listened to and when he told the guy to back off, he did.

I am well aware that posture and gait are important. I've coached runners, triathletes and have taught skiing.

Having me turn to the side (more than once and commenting on my butt) was not necessary nor appropriate and he did not do that to my boyfriend (guys' posture and gait don't matter?) He also didn't have my boyfriend bounce on the exercise ball (I guess his core strength didn't matter?) FWIW, I'm in way better shape than the BF as I've been actively running, cycling, kayaking, Samba and Bellydancing, so I would think it would be even more important to look at his gait, posture and core strength.

And yes, the fact that he behaved inappropriately with me does stand on it's own. With that said, being able to compare how he treats a man versus how he treats a woman is very good information to have. It's not just about being creepy/borderline sexual harassment, it's about not respecting and listening to a woman.

This gym also has several negative reviews (from women, big surprise) that involve this guy (I linked those reviews in my email to the company which should be monitoring that sort of thing)

He is a problem.

It's not just me.

If it were just me and I wanted/needed a trainer, I'd just find another one; but that's not the case here.

The company needs to deal with him. Maybe he just needs education, training and to be monitored to make certain that this behavior changes/doesn't continue.

Sadly, this is the only gym in town that I can take classes at which works with my crazy work schedule; I've researched all of the other gyms and they won't work.

Luckily, there is another location, which is on my way to work that I can use when I go in to do weights and I'll only have to go into the one where he is if I'm taking classes and will go straight to that room and stay far away from the weight floor.

Any other gym I've belonged to would have someone show you the machines, how to use them safely and to recommend some exercises. I didn't get that from him, so I've pulled up old workouts from previous gyms and have researched the machines they have there so I know how to properly adjust them and align my joints with the cams to prevent injury.

You have definitely laid out a detailed case against this trainer. It’s helpful because it makes it more than a he said, she said kind of situation.

Those people who want to nitpick and rationalize this guy’s behavior are also part of the problem IMO.
    There are enough good trainers out there that there is no need to tolerate guys like this, not even for a second. There are 8 male trainers at our center. They all work with females of all ages. Not once in 8 years have I ever seen anything that remotely resembles what you have described.

• Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Why do people believe they need these personal trainer parasites?

Working out is quite simple.

Go to exrx.net
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    He was completely inappropriate and shouldn't be touching you in any way especially if you've told him not to several. I've had a male personal trainer before and the only time he ever touched me was to hold my hand to help me on and off equipment if my legs or sore/help me with a workout I was struggling with, but in no way did he ever comment on my butt or make me jump on an exercise ball when it was my induction session.

I'm glad that you reported it as he shouldn't be doing that at all. Seems like such a creep if he's doing it with most of the women that have gone to the gym and reviewed it with complaints about him. The gym itself should be keeping track of their reviews and take into account of what people are saying, especially if it's complaints against one of their members of staff and involves harassment.

I hope that this get sorted out soon.
  • wildcelticrose
    Options
    Touching is common and sometimes necessary. I've had plenty of coaching, training, massage and chiropractic work so I'm certainly not "touch phobic"

What creeped me out was the repeated touching of my hair and that fact that he was grabbing a part of my body that I told him hurt and had to tell him three times to get his hands off before he did.

There was a point where I thought I was going to have to hit him.

• wildcelticrose
    Options

On a personal note, I’m a dad of two daughters. This type of thing really hits my “dad” button. I’m really proud of the way you handled yourself. Sounds like you are a strong and independent woman. Good for you. My only advise for next time, remember that strong kick technique your dad taught you? He deserves one

Forget anything parents might have taught, I'm a former federal law enforcement officer, I can drop someone to the ground with a simple twist of the wrist (and much worse than that)

I was honestly too shocked (and also didn't feel well)

• wildcelticrose
    Options
    I just got a response to the second/follow up email I sent, saying the same thing, it's not an experience they want members to have and they are forwarding to the VP of training. I sent that email on January 3rd, so they're about 5 days backlogged to answer. I'll give it to next week to hear from someone before I decide to escalate.

In the mean time, I'm staying away from that location unless I'm taking a class and stay far away from the weight floor.