Confidence depression motivation

Options
So I previously lost about 30 pounds and gained most of it back! Im trying to get back to what I was doing before but honestly for some reason its so hard! Im going through crazy depression thats giving me lack of confidence and motivation! Any idea to what I can do to help my mind change the way I think?

Replies

• leoBKR
    leoBKR Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    try to get some motivating friends , to be in a healthy environement then stick to an easy goal at first n when you reach it you'll be even more motivated to do more !
    keep it up girl ! goodluck ✌
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Maybe your calorie deficit is too aggressive? What's your height and current weight, and what is your calorie target?
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    You keep a food diary? Get into the process. Calculate a modest calorie deficit and track. When you mess up, keep tracking. When you get to goal, keep tracking.

What lessons are you taking away from last time? Ultimately, it dint work.
  • smile1173
    smile1173 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I understand. Think gained and lost same 20 lbs 3x in 18 months. Trying to figure out how to feel better. Using this app to track good start.
  • oorie
    oorie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • oorie
    Options
    ReginaM49 wrote: »
    I'm much older than you, but I did the same thing. Lost 30, then gained back 35. I also suffer from depression. Feel free to add me as a friend and we can encourage each other. My advice for your depression is to not suffer in silence. Talk to your doctor. Get some therapy. Whatever it takes.

Ive talked to a doctor.. all they do is prescribe you pills and not only that it’s expensive.
  • oorie
    Options
    leoBKR wrote: »
    try to get some motivating friends , to be in a healthy environement then stick to an easy goal at first n when you reach it you'll be even more motivated to do more !
    keep it up girl ! goodluck ✌

Thats what I plan to do till then itll be a battle!
  • marianb2001
    marianb2001 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen. I gained back the weight, but it was because I stopped logging my food and went off the rails. I know it worked for me before, so I am starting over. I will log even in maintenance. I too have 30lbs to lose. Now is a good time because I will be depressed in the summer if I do not start now. We can do this!!
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    There is a lot you can do to improve your depression if you don't want to be medicated. You can try journaling to figure out what your negative thinking is all about so you can correct it. When we are depressed we have negative, incorrect thoughts that run in our mind on a loop. No wonder it's so hard to feel better! By journaling you can get to the bottom of those thoughts and either correct or stop them. So let's say you're telling yourself you're a failure because you gained the weight back. Many of us have been there, myself included. I lost 47 lbs and gained back 20 and I'm having a hard time getting back into it and being consistent. Instead of beating yourself up tell yourself that weight loss is hard and so many people struggle. It happens. Life is a series of ups and downs, progress and setbacks. Accept that this is the situation you're in instead of dwelling on what went wrong. Tell yourself that you've done it before and you can do it again.

Exercise and getting some sunshine are essential to feeling better. Get yourself outside even if it's just 15 or 20 minutes a day. You'll feel so much better.

Unhealthy eating, especially sugar, can add to feelings of depression and anxiety. Try to feed yourself well and don't try for a huge calorie deficit that will leave you feeling exhausted. Be reasonable. And keep yourself hydrated.

When you saw your doctor did he/she give you a physical? Maybe you're low in something like vitamin D. Many people are during the winter months and it adds to depression and lethargy.

Cognitive behavioral therapy can help so much. If you don't want to speak with a therapist or can't afford one you can read Feeling Good by Dr. David D Burns. It will help you identify and eliminate wrong, negative thinking.

Try to do something to work toward your goal today and then give yourself a pat on the back for the accomplishment.

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Having structure to your day is often really good for depression. And logging food and making healthy choices and exercising are all things that can be really helpful for combating depression.

In depression there is a contrariness about it...often the stuff that is good for getting better is the hardest to do.
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Having structure to your day is often really good for depression. And logging food and making healthy choices and exercising are all things that can be really helpful for combating depression.

In depression there is a contrariness about it...often the stuff that is good for getting better is the hardest to do.

This is so true. Planning your day and keeping busy is crucial or the depression just takes over and claims the day...one then another. And yes, exercise. The last thing you want to do but the best thing for you. All those endorphins waiting to give you a free high. Be strong, fight back :)
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with depression most of my life. Emotional eating, eat disorders, What helps me at the moment (This changes) is working out.Endorphins from a good workout make me feel better than any antidepressants did TBH. RIght now Im eating less sugar, and that seems to be helping a little.
  • oorie
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all your advice! Il definitely keep them in mind!
  • oorie
    edited January 2018
    Options
    There is a lot you can do to improve your depression if you don't want to be medicated. You can try journaling to figure out what your negative thinking is all about so you can correct it. When we are depressed we have negative, incorrect thoughts that run in our mind on a loop. No wonder it's so hard to feel better! By journaling you can get to the bottom of those thoughts and either correct or stop them. So let's say you're telling yourself you're a failure because you gained the weight back. Many of us have been there, myself included. I lost 47 lbs and gained back 20 and I'm having a hard time getting back into it and being consistent. Instead of beating yourself up tell yourself that weight loss is hard and so many people struggle. It happens. Life is a series of ups and downs, progress and setbacks. Accept that this is the situation you're in instead of dwelling on what went wrong. Tell yourself that you've done it before and you can do it again.

Exercise and getting some sunshine are essential to feeling better. Get yourself outside even if it's just 15 or 20 minutes a day. You'll feel so much better.

Unhealthy eating, especially sugar, can add to feelings of depression and anxiety. Try to feed yourself well and don't try for a huge calorie deficit that will leave you feeling exhausted. Be reasonable. And keep yourself hydrated.

When you saw your doctor did he/she give you a physical? Maybe you're low in something like vitamin D. Many people are during the winter months and it adds to depression and lethargy.

Cognitive behavioral therapy can help so much. If you don't want to speak with a therapist or can't afford one you can read Feeling Good by Dr. David D Burns. It will help you identify and eliminate wrong, negative thinking.

Try to do something to work toward your goal today and then give yourself a pat on the back for the accomplishment.

Thank you for this amazing advice! Ive tried writing my thoughts down but I stopped definitely will try to start again... im not hard on myself about gaining the weight is more of a relationship problem... i was in a 6 year abusive relationship which caused my depression.. when I started to lose weight I felt better.. happier! Until I got my heart broken again and thats when the weight gain began and my depression began to worsen again.. I want to lose weight but my mentality is negative as you said like I wasn’t good enough for him even losing the weight whats the point now... and I know I should do this for myself and I was but it makes you feel like crap when you worked hard and it got you no where! Its hard having someone for 6 years tell u your nothing and to have someone else do the same again! Im battling with my emotions everyday and any person with depression would understand! Yes I did get a physical and everything was fine.. but lets be real I do need to lose weight and that in general will help with my depression the problem is convincing myself that I need this and to help push myself again... I try telling myself I did it before I can do it again! I appreciate you giving me advice because you made a good point!❤️❤️
  • shhhilo
    shhhilo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Try and find a motto or words of wisdom that will motivate you no matter what your thinking something that will inspire you and set your mind free
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    oorie wrote: »

Thank you for this amazing advice! Ive tried writing my thoughts down but I stopped definitely will try to start again... im not hard on myself about gaining the weight is more of a relationship problem... i was in a 6 year abusive relationship which caused my depression.. when I started to lose weight I felt better.. happier! Until I got my heart broken again and thats when the weight gain began and my depression began to worsen again.. I want to lose weight but my mentality is negative as you said like I wasn’t good enough for him even losing the weight whats the point now... and I know I should do this for myself and I was but it makes you feel like crap when you worked hard and it got you no where! Its hard having someone for 6 years tell u your nothing and to have someone else do the same again! Im battling with my emotions everyday and any person with depression would understand! Yes I did get a physical and everything was fine.. but lets be real I do need to lose weight and that in general will help with my depression the problem is convincing myself that I need this and to help push myself again... I try telling myself I did it before I can do it again! I appreciate you giving me advice because you made a good point!❤️❤️

I do understand your feelings. Depression is like being in a dark pit that you can't get yourself out of. And I understand a broken heart. Anyone would be upset over two relationships ending. It will take time for the pain and the feelings of loss to go away. Just consider the possibility that you don't have to think and feel this way. Things can be different. Just because your ex said you're nothing doesn't make it true. That's wrong so don't believe it. Just because he or she didn't treat you kindly and didn't value you doesn't mean you're not worthy of being treated kindly and being valued. That's a reflection of who he or she is - not you. What I've learned to tell myself when someone is hurtful/rude/mean is their words and their behavior are their problem - not mine. If you work on thinking like that your thoughts will eventually lead you to the realization that the relationship ending was for the best. You're free of an abusive relationship now! You can focus on your mental and physical health now.
  • jenniferc933
    jenniferc933 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I too suffer from depression (as an example - went to bed last night with the determination to get stuck into exercise again this morning?? - what have I done? not a thing, I'm still in my nightie and it's now late afternoon). I have struggled with depression on and off for a very long time, relationship, financial and just plain lonely.

What I now do is: I accept it as a part of me, I know that I'm lonely, depressed and feeling rotton. But and here is the big 'but', I also know that, depression is like a wave on the ocean - "It eventually reaches the shoreline - some waves take a lot longer than others but they all reach the shoreline eventually".

You are actually in a better space in your mind that you think you are because you know what you (like me and many others) are experiencing. There are people out there who are unable to recognise depression and it's debilitating affects.

The only advice I can give is to perhaps do like I have done, accept it, don't fight it (what I mean by that is - don't be hard on yourself because you know what's causing this blanket of self doubt and emptiness). You obviously have an 'inner strength' to you, that will allow your wave to get to the shoreline. Just ride it out with the certain knowledge that you CAN and WILL.

Surf on oorie, you are a very strong surfer on the waves of depression.
  • oorie
    Options
    oorie wrote: »

I do understand your feelings. Depression is like being in a dark pit that you can't get yourself out of. And I understand a broken heart. Anyone would be upset over two relationships ending. It will take time for the pain and the feelings of loss to go away. Just consider the possibility that you don't have to think and feel this way. Things can be different. Just because your ex said you're nothing doesn't make it true. That's wrong so don't believe it. Just because he or she didn't treat you kindly and didn't value you doesn't mean you're not worthy of being treated kindly and being valued. That's a reflection of who he or she is - not you. What I've learned to tell myself when someone is hurtful/rude/mean is their words and their behavior are their problem - not mine. If you work on thinking like that your thoughts will eventually lead you to the realization that the relationship ending was for the best. You're free of an abusive relationship now! You can focus on your mental and physical health now.

Very true thank so much! I know I can beat this!