Plant based diet

Options
I’ve been on a plant based diet for a month. What is the best way to realistically lose weight but continue with the 1200 calories intake? I am finding that I am not taking in enough calories.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,073 Member
    Options
    Nuts/Nut Butters, additional snacks, grains
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You lose weight when you're consistently in a calorie deficit. 1200 calories should be a calorie deficit, but 1200 real calories is a bit hard to stick to. If you're not taking in enough calories, you have to eat more. (You can't both eat 1200 calories and eat more than 1200 calories.) If your logging shows less than 1200 calories, and you feel super full, tighten up your logging and eat more satisfying and less filling foods.
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Buy a vegetarian / vegan recipe book and adapt the one's you like. Each recipe gives you a great base from which to start and will last for ages. I still reference my '1,000 vegan recipe' book and I adapt meals accordingly. Good luck.
  • raspuller
    raspuller Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Nuts and nut butters, as someone else suggested. Also legumes in general (lentils, beans, chickpeas, etc) - I have some form of legumes with nearly every meal. They are high in fiber, often have fairly high protein profiles and are calorie dense.
  • tellyportation
    tellyportation Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! It's nice to be back. My last login and connection with the community was in 2012. Yes, it's been a long time. I have decided and committed to continuing what I started 7 years ago and this time on a WFPB diet. I am slowly transitioning and hopefully maintain the discipline and commitment. Looking forward to connecting with you all. Cheers to a healthy new us!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    You definitely want to at least eat the minimum recommended calories.

Like others mentioned, some fat sources will increase your calories. There are also protein fortified plant milks that have a good amount of calories.
  • DanielleInProgresss
    Options
    Unpopular opinion alert:
    Add startches to your meals. Potatoes, rice, quinoa, oats, beans all are higher in calories without adding a lot of fat to you diet. They are filling and delicious. Let's face it, filling food is important when it comes to weight loss. Being hungry suuuuuuucks.

I like to cut a potato into fry shapes and then I use the potato button on the microwave. When finished I throw them onto a salad, in a wrap, in a tofu scramble, or just eat them like 🍟.
  • DanielleInProgresss
    Options
    Look into both forks over knives and Dr.Mcdougall recipes :)