January blues when foods your usual go to?

Options
Is it just me that hates January? After the big build-up of the holidays here we are at the other side, the weathers crap, its always dark and there is nothing to look forward to for months. I've felt a sort of sadness ever since the New Year, and my usual pick me up is food, and usually the unhealthier the better. Chocolate, Pizza, Fast Food. Lets face it fruit isn't gonna cut it here.

But now the problem. I'm back on my diet and don't have my crutch of food for comfort.

Can any relate or offer some advice?

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk outside, in the sunshine if possible.
  • leslienicole318
    leslienicole318 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Maybe try picking up a hobby? Coloring in the adult coloring books, reading, knitting, any hobby really. I find that helps me when I go to comfort eat.
  • suerlewis2
    suerlewis2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Oh I can relate alright, I spend most of my dark evenings dreaming of sandwiches - made with sticky white no-good-for-you-barely-even bread, filled with any amount of gorgeous things that will make me feel comfortable, warm and loved. I called it a food-hug. Always made me feel better.
    Now? Blessed if I know, I go to bed feeling seriously deprived most nights. Have tried treating myself in other ways - movies, facials, new nail stuff - which I appreciate may not work for you.
    Do you have anything you can start planning for the Spring? a garden project, a building project, a motorbike project, a trip away, decorating etc etc - I'm rubbish at this, but just try to look forwards instead of wallowing in the January misery that is now.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Try to identify some comfort activities or routines that don't involve food. Ideally something like exercise (going for a walk outside, also), but because we often aren't as perfectly productive as we might wish (and because it's January, so fun outdoor stuff may be limited), are there other things you can do instead? Something like a TV show might be tough if you associate watching TV with eating, but some things I recall doing when trying to give myself comfort not food is reading a fun book, listening to music, getting excited about zoning out to a podcast (often about fitness), focusing on hobbies, making weight loss a new hobby in some ways.

Re the latter, I journaled about each day, struggles, wanting to eat and why (when that was an issue), but also planned mini goals to meet weekly, planned longer term goals (races to sign up for and training schedules), and especially planned meals that were tasty. I like to cook, so in some ways could transfer my fun in eating into fun in cooking and going to green markets and so on (clearly this is not the best time for green markets for most of us).

I also found having some things to look forward to from a taste perspective that aren't caloric useful. I like trying different teas, so that, and I also like unsweetened brewing chocolate, which works as a cozy evening ritual.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I agree, after the excitement of Christmas I'm basically just waiting for spring to come.

I gravitate towards warm, filling meals in this cold, depressing weather. Stuff like soups and stews. And lots of hot tea.

A good bowl of soup can be very comforting!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    This winter isn't bringing me to crave excess food & alcohol, unlike past winters. After injuring myself last summer and taking some advice from Lyle McDonald's book on optimal nutrition for recovery from injuries, I increased supplementing to get 2.4 g of omega-3 fatty acids daily, in addition to my usual winter-increase of vitamin D and B complex. There are data out there to suggest omega-3 is helpful for mood as well as reducing unwanted inflammation (and that data are mixed), and perhaps this is the reason for my more even-keel this winter.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Can't relate anymore, I have a vague memory, but only this to offer, you decide if it's usable as advice: I stopped eating just to ease emotions, but I also stopped eating just for fuel. I plan and eat three delicious, balanced, nutrious meals every day. I also stopped calling any food I like, unhealthy.

I don't mind January. Cold weather is fine, but the part bare, part icy roads are horrible. Luckily, that's only outside. Inside is hot coffee and binge watching TV series :D
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Yeh, i can fully relate. Been there... I've found with me its my mind. It had to be ready, decide when it's right time. What abt trying weight loss meditation/ self hypnosis. U can get cheap ones on utube or apps. Jst a suggestion.☺hope that helps.
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I already work out 4 mornings per week and have done for a couple of years now. I know I'll snap out of this in a few weeks its just getting January over, I know its no different really to December or November the difference being in October/November/December we have Halloween, Thanks Giving for you in the US and Christmas to look forward to, January really has nothing going for it does it? Roll on Spring I say. I think lack of Sun might be something, I go to work in the dark, come home in the dark, never see any sunlight.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    I already work out 4 mornings per week and have done for a couple of years now. I know I'll snap out of this in a few weeks its just getting January over, I know its no different really to December or November the difference being in October/November/December we have Halloween, Thanks Giving for you in the US and Christmas to look forward to, January really has nothing going for it does it? Roll on Spring I say. I think lack of Sun might be something, I go to work in the dark, come home in the dark, never see any sunlight.

Aww c'mon, what about my Birthday! :) Haha. really not helpful for you though.. :p

Rather than using food as comfort, what about focusing on your workouts and fitness, setting and planning out your yearly goals.
  • Alzzi76
    Options

Yep. I understand. Nothing like the spring air and the atmosphere it brings. Im a spring person too. Im Aussie so we 've got summer here. I must say im not looking forward to winter. It's when i put my most weight back on
  • Alzzi76
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Aww c'mon, what about my Birthday! :) Haha. really not helpful for you though.. :p

Rather than using food as comfort, what about focusing on your workouts and fitness, setting and planning out your yearly goals.

Haa ha u too!!