Not losing! :(

Options
therjh
therjh Posts: 13 Member
edited January 2018 in Introduce Yourself
Hi,
I have used mfp in the past and lost weight, however I have been using it for a week now and have not lost any weight at all. I have cut my calories to 1000 - 1200 a day and exercise daily. I usually lose every week, but just haven't shifted any at all so far. Has anyone else experienced this? I am 9st12 and my goal weight is 8st (I am 5ft2).
Thanks! x

Replies

• kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Further to that, if you're a woman, you may be like me. I don't lose any weight between my cycle start and ovulation. Not an ounce, no matter what. From ovulation to cycle start, it all drops at once. So two weeks out of every 4, I've learned to just accept that I won't budge. It's fine, it catches up later.
  • orionaimee
    orionaimee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert by any means but I do recall reading that women who cut their calories to 1200 or below risk doing significant damage to their bodies. While everyone is different I would do more research on what the appropriate daily caloric intake is for your body type. Hang in there and good luck to you.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    One week is not enough time to determine "no loss". Stick to the plan of 1200 calories and give it more time.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    One week is not enough to see progress.
  • Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda having this same problem I eat about the same as you but this is weird for me, I've been slacking for maybe 2 weeks and the scales stayed at my normal fluctuation, now that I'm done with school I wanted to focus on losing my last 5 lbs and really go in on strength training. However, now that I'm focusing I literally can't drop a pound and actually gained about 5lbs I'm SO disappointed right now, but I'm just going to push through because I know this is what works so I'm just going to continue at it.

One week really isn't enough time to tell depending on how much weight you have to lose give it time and push through.
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    ONLY A WEEK??? Relax.... check back in 12 weeks. Sometimes you're body retains water, or you see muscle gain first... this isn't a sprint
  • Falklang
    Falklang Posts: 220 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I use a separate tdee calculator to calculate my calories as i think mfp tends to drop the calories too low in my opinion. I seem to be dropping fat consistently now :) I also don't count my exercise calories and only stick to my base calories. As other's have also said, a week is really nothing to base fat loss on as it's a slow process and when you start getting down to below 10 stone it'll be slow anyways. :)
  • tomo3549
    tomo3549 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hiya, one week isn't enough, however i don't think you are eating sufficient calories, lets not forget that food is fuel and as long as you are in a calorific deficit of 500-800 calories a day then you will gradually loose weight.. if you have a fitbit or exercise tracker aim to hit 15000 steps and eat 1400 calories of good food and if you burn 2000 cals a day you will nail weight loss
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    I love to read these type headings cause I know just about what I am gonna read. It's been ???? which is usually a very short period of time and I have not lost any weight. Followed by I need to lose 10 to 20 lbs.

It takes time for you body to change when you start eating differently. Plus the less you need to lose it seems that slower the loss goes. You need to give it time.

How long has it taken to actually PUT the weight on? You cannot expect it to just melt off, sorry it dont work that way.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    kdbulger wrote: »
    Further to that, if you're a woman, you may be like me. I don't lose any weight between my cycle start and ovulation. Not an ounce, no matter what. From ovulation to cycle start, it all drops at once. So two weeks out of every 4, I've learned to just accept that I won't budge. It's fine, it catches up later.

Not sure why this was "woo"ed. I'm the same way. Some women are just the opposite though- gain going into TOM and lose afterward. Some women see no cyclical changes in their weight at all. People are different. But generally speaking, women need at least a month's worth of data to get a true picture of what's going on.
  • therjh
    therjh Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I know a week isn't a long time but I am going off past experience with my body, I usually lose weight fairly consistently. The 1200 calories is as per the MFP guidance which I have done before. I am petite which is probably why but I will research it!
    That is a good point about cycle, it may be partly to do with that. I will keep track of it for the next month anyway and hopefully will see some changes.
    That is also a good point about how long it has taken to put the weight on, I would say about 3 years! However I get married in June so I am being impatient ;)
  • Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    thetjh wrote: »
    Aw0627 wrote: »
    I'm kinda having this same problem I eat about the same as you but this is weird for me, I've been slacking for maybe 2 weeks and the scales stayed at my normal fluctuation, now that I'm done with school I wanted to focus on losing my last 5 lbs and really go in on strength training. However, now that I'm focusing I literally can't drop a pound and actually gained about 5lbs I'm SO disappointed right now, but I'm just going to push through because I know this is what works so I'm just going to continue at it.

One week really isn't enough time to tell depending on how much weight you have to lose give it time and push through.

I wonder if it's because you're training and gaining muscle maybe? Thank you - I will keep at it! Good luck to you x

I don't know, but I doubt it I don't think I've been consistant enough to build muscle, plus there's still fat does muscle build under fat? Anyway thanks and I hope for your success as well
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Aw0627 wrote: »

I wonder if it's because you're training and gaining muscle maybe? Thank you - I will keep at it! Good luck to you x

she has not put on muscle mass in one week. she didn't mention a progressive lifting program or eating at a surplus - even with those a woman is not putting on pounds of muscle per week. a woman doing everything right is fortunate to put on .5-1lb of muscle per month.
  • philsy1
    philsy1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have used mfp in the past and lost weight, however I have been using it for a week now and have not lost any weight at all. I have cut my calories to 1000 - 1200 a day and exercise daily. I usually lose every week, but just haven't shifted any at all so far. Has anyone else experienced this? I am 9st12 and my goal weight is 8st (I am 5ft2).
    Thanks! x

Sometimes the body retains digested food during a period of very low intake. Maybe you're a little stopped up?
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    kdbulger wrote: »

Not sure why this was "woo"ed. I'm the same way. Some women are just the opposite though- gain going into TOM and lose afterward. Some women see no cyclical changes in their weight at all. People are different. But generally speaking, women need at least a month's worth of data to get a true picture of what's going on.

I mean, they can woo if they want but I've been tracking the trends for my own body for quite a long time, and it's pretty consistent. i definitely meant to put that it's opposite trend for many women - I'm the outlier weirdo i think.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your food? Are you logging everything you consume? Are you making sure the entries are valid (i.e no homemade or generic)? Drinking plenty of water? TOM? If you are truly consuming 1200 or less you should be losing something even if it is only water weight.