What can I use instead of egg to make meatloaf?

Options
I'm intolerant to egg and have so many food sensitivities. Yesterday I made meatloaf with Orgran egg replacer. It has potato starch, tapioca starch, calcium carbonate, citric acid, vegetable gum and methylcellulose. Something has given me a reaction so I need another substitute, does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Do you really need the egg? I mean, I understand it's a binder, but maybe it would stay together without it.

Other than that, without a better understanding about your allergies, I've got nothin'. :neutral:
  • mixednic
    mixednic Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    you may be able to use apple sauce, i know that sounds weird but the sweet and salty should go and apple sauce is often used as an egg replacement
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I have successfully used soaked chia seeds instead of eggs for baking cakes and pastries - I'm assuming it would also work for meatloaf - 1T chia seeds + 2.5 T water, let them sit for about 10 min until they kind of gel, then use just like an egg.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Unflavored gelatin or any kind of gelatinous stock (not broth) should work.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Flour works as a binder. Cornflour works particularly well.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I've made this recipe before - it's good and there's no egg
    http://www.andiemitchell.com/honey-barbecue-meatloaf/
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Unless you are looking for a perfect slice of meatloaf that sticks together - just skip the egg. If you are using the egg to add some moistness - many other things will work such as milk, broth, etc.
  • myfitnesspalsophie
    myfitnesspalsophie Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks, i'll give these suggestions a try :):)
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the ener-g egg replacer? Or Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer. You can use flax seed and water. I cannot remember the ratios because it's been so long, but you can google it. I think it's like 1 tbls of flax seed to 1 tbls water or something like that. Also, duck eggs or 1 turkey egg (they are huge) can usually be tolerated by people allergic to eggs. Sorry for your allergies. BTDT and so glad it's gone! It's HARD to deal with. Look at the potato starch or citric acid being the source of your reaction to what you used the other day.
  • Gotrek1
    Gotrek1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Flax seeds, one tablespoon of ground flax and three table spoons of water is often a good substitue for egg. That's what I use when I make breads that require eggs. Works great. Not that I have an egg allergy but some of my people do.

• bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I've read that the liquid in a can of beans can be used as an egg replacement.

https://www.glueandglitter.com/2015/04/14/aquafaba-magical-egg-replacer-for-vegan-meringue-recipes-and-beyond/
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    i agree with the ground flax. you can also use soy flour as an egg replacer. i think it is the same 1 tbs and 3 tbs water but i will need to double check.
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Gotrek1 wrote: »
    Flax seeds, one tablespoon of ground flax and three table spoons of water is often a good substitue for egg. That's what I use when I make breads that require eggs. Works great. Not that I have an egg allergy but some of my people do.

I've used flax, as well...it does need to be ground. A little ricotta cheese in the meatloaf mix can also be beneficial...which is what Chef Fabio uses in his Mom's Italian Meatball recipe.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You could probably use psyllium husks as a binder,
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think you could just leave the egg out and not substitute.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    LOTS of options, as other posters have suggested. In my family there are egg, dairy, gluten and nut allergies. It makes family get togethers kind of interesting, but I consider it a challenge to accommodate dietary restrictions and still make delicious food.

I've made meatballs and meatloaf with lots of different fillers to bind the meat together. Ground flax, chia seed, hemp seed, oatmeal, coconut flour, veggies chopped fine (onions, celery, garlic), pureed butternut squash, pumpkin, rice krispies, rice crackers. Not using everything all at once, of course, but plenty of different options depending on what's in the fridge or pantry.

For the oatmeal, rice krispies or crackers I blend enough to make finer flour/crumbs. Mix enough dry ingredients with the meat to hold it together and add a little liquid if needed (coconut milk, juice, beer) plus ketchup, mustard, worcestershire, bbq sauce, S&P or other seasonings. Only limited by your imagination. I never follow an exact recipe and it's usually pretty delicious.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    My mom never put an egg in her meatloaf and neither do I. It doesn't need it.

Of course her "secret" recipe was just basically the Lipton onion soup mix meatloaf recipe minus the eggs and breadcrumbs. Mix meat, a package of soup mix and half a can of tomato sauce. Bake about 45 minutes. Top with the rest of the tomato sauce and bake another 15 minutes.
  • mbminx
    mbminx Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Our sons are allergic to eggs, so we've had to massage a lot of recipes. For meatballs or meatloaf, we use bread or cracker crumbs soaked in milk. It's not diner beautiful, but it holds together surprisingly well.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You didn't provide a list but if you can eat milk and bread (or suitable substitutes thereof, who knows...), panade is what will keep meat in loaf/patty/ball form moist when cooking.

https://www.jessicagavin.com/panade-the-secret-to-keeping-ground-meat-tender/
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    I've made this recipe before - it's good and there's no egg
    http://www.andiemitchell.com/honey-barbecue-meatloaf/

Very interesting I would like to try it but I don't like or have honey. Do you know what can I use instead, or maybe just don't use it at all?