Ideas for helping my mind catch up with my weight loss?

Options
So, I've definitely seen many different people mention (in other threads) the phenomenon of still thinking of myself as being larger than I am.

I'm currently about 190, 35lbs down, with about 40lbs to go (5'8"). Despite being under 200 for weeks now, and nearly into the 180s, I still think of myself as being well over 200.

I know it will take time to adjust, but other than just allowing time to pass, is there anything you've done that has been helpful at aligning your perception closer to reality?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Have you gone and tried on clothes? I'd head to your nearest upmarket shop (department store for me, less attention from shop assistants) and try on fabulous expensive clothes that wouldn't have fit you at starting weight.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I hope you started this journey by taking photos of yourself. If you didn’t, I highly encourage it. We see ourselves in the mirror everyday so the changes escape us, but taking periodic photos and putting them side by side, there’s no denying the changes. Once a month is good, or in the very least, every 3 months.
    The closer you get to your goal, the more the changes will get subtle. It will be even more important then.
    Great job on your loss!!
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Recently I have seen a few people taking looks/peeks at me when they think I cant see. My Fat brain was like, what, do I have something on my shirt, face? is something showing that shouldn't be? STOP LOOKING AT ME!!

Is it possible they were just enjoying the view? Naw... Damnit fat brain stop it!!
  • anyWendy
    anyWendy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I hope you started this journey by taking photos of yourself. If you didn’t, I highly encourage it. We see ourselves in the mirror everyday so the changes escape us, but taking periodic photos and putting them side by side, there’s no denying the changes. Once a month is good, or in the very least, every 3 months.
    The closer you get to your goal, the more the changes will get subtle. It will be even more important then.
    Great job on your loss!!

Good point. I did take pics at the beginning, but haven't taken any new photos to compare my progress. I almost think I was waiting to hit my goal, before looking at pics side by side.

Now that you point this out, it seems incredibly obvious, but thank you!
  • anyWendy
    anyWendy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Have you gone and tried on clothes? I'd head to your nearest upmarket shop (department store for me, less attention from shop assistants) and try on fabulous expensive clothes that wouldn't have fit you at starting weight.

I haven't done this yet, but have been able to "shop my closet" from items I saved last time I was a smaller size. Maybe actually trying on items in a store will help. Thanks!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    anyWendy wrote: »

I haven't done this yet, but have been able to "shop my closet" from items I saved last time I was a smaller size. Maybe actually trying on items in a store will help. Thanks!

Yeah, I reckon try on new stuff. The shopping in the closet is fun, but they were already your clothes and don't have as big an impact. You don't have to buy anything (goodness knows, I never do), but its great for perspective, especially if you used to be "plus size" and can now try on stuff in the normal shops.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Progress photos have helped me. But I'm bad at this too, it takes me gaining weight again. I look back and realized I WAS thin.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It's not easy, that's for sure. I still struggle with feeling like I look like the guy on the left in my photo.
  • seashellybob
    seashellybob Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great job on your loss!!

Good point. I did take pics at the beginning, but haven't taken any new photos to compare my progress. I almost think I was waiting to hit my goal, before looking at pics side by side.

Now that you point this out, it seems incredibly obvious, but thank you!

I am literally in the same situation as you! Just a wee bit taller at 5'10". I have been under 200 since mid December, about a month now, and I still feel like I did last summer.

Those progress photos help though. I like to do a photo comparison where I put on the same dress or skirt and just see how much difference there is. That helps me to accept that I have put in some hard work.

But I too don't know what will quite get through my head that I'm not the bigger person that I used to be anymore.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Recently I have seen a few people taking looks/peeks at me when they think I cant see. My Fat brain was like, what, do I have something on my shirt, face? is something showing that shouldn't be? STOP LOOKING AT ME!!

Is it possible they were just enjoying the view? Naw... Damnit fat brain stop it!!

This is so me!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    So, I've definitely seen many different people mention (in other threads) the phenomenon of still thinking of myself as being larger than I am.

I'm currently about 190, 35lbs down, with about 40lbs to go (5'8"). Despite being under 200 for weeks now, and nearly into the 180s, I still think of myself as being well over 200.

I know it will take time to adjust, but other than just allowing time to pass, is there anything you've done that has been helpful at aligning your perception closer to reality?

In my experience I have to be well settled into maintenance before my brain catches up. I just don't view myself as anything other than fat when I'm still in the process of losing.