How to break eating at night habit

Options

Replies

• gcaracciolo2
    gcaracciolo2 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I suggest finding what times of the day you are most hungry and plan your days according to that. I tend to enjoy a large dinner so I sacrifice having a big breakfast and lunch. With this approach, I'm pretty full after dinner and satisfied throughout the night without eating.

Hope this helps
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    A few strategies I use:
    Evening hobbies- started piano lessons, quilting, yoga
    Big cup of tea - few calories, warm and comforting, fills my belly for awhile
    Leave some calories for after dinner snack
    Low calore snack options - popcorn, popsicles, cheese nips crackers with laughing cow cheese
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    You have to replace every "bad" habit with a "good" one. Read a book, go for a run, bike, hike, etc. Anything that limits your ability to put food in your mouth and focus on something else.

Doesn't matter what the activity is, just do something you love, or want to love.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Some really good ideas, here. Honestly, it doesn't matter when you eat, just how many calories you eat. If you find you're "snacky" (as hubs and I put it) at night, just plan for it. This is what I do, but what works for you will probably be quite different: I use Intermittent Fasting (eating only during a certain time window) 5 days a week to reduce my calories to 700 lower than my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). During the week, I only have coffee with creamer until 4:00, which means I can have a big dinner. And if I feel like a snack or two in the evening, which usually happens, I have raw veggies for the first snack, then cookies or candy for my second snack, if I feel like it. I usually feel like it. I won't lie. But I plan for it, so it's not a big deal whether it happens or not.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I gave up trying not to eat then. Instead I budget calories and pre weigh snacks, to stay within my range.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    find something that will keep you busy, I aim for reading a book, magazines don't work very well, but a good book you don't want to put down, works wonders, or play a video game, a few years ago I finally started playing candy crush, it was very addicting, I didn't want to stop to go find food
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I found it easier to just save some calories for snacks, later - I sometimes have as much as 300 calories left for snacks. There is no rule that says you can't snack as long as you stay within your calorie limit. Dieting is about developing a personalised eating plan. Things to try:
    1 Adjust your eating period and just start eating later in the day so you still have calories left for late snacking.
    2 You could consider skipping a meal too e.g. no breakfast, so you can have lots of calories for snacks later.
    3 Go for a walk and use the calories earned for snacks.
    Make sure you snack on something satisfying that you really want - an extra portion of cauliflower is not a snack! I make sure my snacks are high volume (air popped popcorn + olive oil + white cheddar flavour) or intensely tasty (garlic crackers + blue cheese + jam + red wine) or last a long time (seasoned sunflower seeds I have to shell to eat while watching tv).
  • Wingsont84
    Wingsont84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Not sure if mentioned, but didn't want to read everyone comments, but eat some Greek yogurt or cottage cheese as they are long active protein. Also drinking water or eat a salad
  • 01189998819991197253Z
    Options
    Things that keep your hands busy work great for me. I used to knit hats or crochet blankets until i broke the habit. Arm knitting is fun as it works up very fast and no purl stitch.
  • Laruto
    Laruto Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    find something that will keep you busy, I aim for reading a book, magazines don't work very well, but a good book you don't want to put down, works wonders, or play a video game, a few years ago I finally started playing candy crush, it was very addicting, I didn't want to stop to go find food

I second the video games! When I play xbox snacking actually annoys me bc of having to constantly wipe my hand before touching controller again. Keeps u distracted! Plus drinking lots of water helps or sucking on a hard candy etc
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner around 8:30 in the evening with my wife after my kids have gone to bed..we usually eat and watch a little t.v. and then go to bed so no late night snacking.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I save half of my calories for my dinner meal. I then feel satisfied. I hate to eat late because that messes with my sleep, but I also hate going to bed hungry. If I want something after dinner, it's usually hot herbal tea. No calories and it satisfies my cravings.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Sip water / tea
    Keep busy so you don't think about it.
    It's hard to begin with but once you break the habit, it becomes easier.
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Take a long hot bath
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I start my logging day at 6 pm. That way my biggest meal of the day is logged first, and if I go a little crazy with the late night snacks I've got all the next day to get in some extra walking.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Plan your evening snack just as much as dinner. Putting some structure into your eating avoids going rogue.

I try to have 2-3 snack choices on hand for evening snacks because I seem to do best having a range of choices. If I feel too constricted in choice I tend to rebel. Against myself. Ugh.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I’ve learned not to make it a nightly battle with myself not to snack. It’s quite natural to feel like eating at the end of the day when things start to quiet down and slow down. I just budget for it. Prelog my anticipated snacks(they’re basically the same everyday anyway).
    For me, knowing that I have a bowl of popcorn and a fudge pop on the horizon for later, makes me more likely to eat a lean healthy dinner rather than having pizza. Even though I sometimes have pizza too. LOL.
  • Javimonster
    Javimonster Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know the struggle, these last couple of weeks I have been able to curb the cravings with a bowl of steamed veggies with some popcorn seasoning. It's tasty enough to stop the hunger and let me go to sleep.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Read this discussion http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10613774/the-importance-of-willpower-for-weight-loss#latest

Because what you're describing, @gcaracciolo2 , is the classic sign of willpower depletion.