Do you log "cheat days"?

For those of you out there who allow yourself a cheat day every now and then, do you log everything you eat or do you just skip out on logging for the day?

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    You can use "quick add" to put in a *kitten*-load of calories for a meal just to remind you later.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    I try and log them all, but often after the fact rather than as I go.

That said, I've failed at logging Christmas day and New Year's Eve! At this point I'll probably write them off...
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    I always log everything, if I'm out and not sure I'll log what looks nearest.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    if im in an active loss phase, usually yes. though it kind of depends whats going on. I only get 3 'idgaf' days out of the year, so its not a big deal
  • raspuller
    raspuller Posts: 35 Member
    I don’t do cheat days, but I do sometimes go off the rails. These are days that I know are going to happen in advance - a birthday or Christmas for example. I try to bank a little the day or two leading up to it and then just relax and try to make decent choices without putting too much pressure on myself. I rarely log those because that, to me, feels like unneeded pressure. This is life. Sometimes I’m going to eat unhealthy stuff or go over my calorie target (note that I said target, not limit). I don’t want to ruin a nice time by having buyer’s remorse about it after the fact.
  • jessylynn76
    jessylynn76 Posts: 4 Member
    It sounds like you might have these cheat days planned, and if so you don't really have to cheat. You can earn them. Let's say you weigh in Monday morning. Reserve 100-200 calories for Monday-Saturday for a more relaxed Sunday. You'll have plenty of extra calories to enjoy. Plus, as long as you only weigh in again on Monday, you won't see a weight loss through the week with a slight gain on Monday. If your average daily calories is still within your allowance, you will still see a weight loss. Keeping in mind that if your day off is super salty, it might take longer to shed the excess water weight. I agree with the other ladies here. It is good to have accurate data for later.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    I don't do cheat days, Personally feel that if I cheat on myself why bother with logging in the first place? Hoever there are two ways that I deal with days that I know will be either over or are eating out
    Either I log as best as I can what I had to eat. Put in my dairy (not MFP) where I had dinner and know that it is a guesstimate
    Alternatively like I did yesterday for my wedding anniversary fancy dinner I log the whole day as per usual and add enough quick calories to be slightly over for the day in my dinner box.
    Not logging at all is simply not an option for me
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Log everything. It is helpful to see all those calories add up.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Log it so you can at least make sure you're still under calories for the week. It's depressingly easy to wipe out a week's worth of effort in a day lol
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    Mrs_413 wrote: »
    For those of you out there who allow yourself a cheat day every now and then, do you log everything you eat or do you just skip out on logging for the day?

And what is a cheat day? I really and honestly don't understand what people really means by that because, in my opinion and according with the definition of "cheat," it doesn't apply to a diet.

1) to deprive of something valuable by the use of deceit or fraud

2) to influence or lead by deceit, trick, or artifice
  • chelliz88
    chelliz88 Posts: 62 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

And what is a cheat day? I really and honestly don't understand what people really means by that because, in my opinion and according with the definition of "cheat," it doesn't apply to a diet.

1) to deprive of something valuable by the use of deceit or fraud

2) to influence or lead by deceit, trick, or artifice

It basically means that you're cheating on your diet. Usually, there is a specific day or meal that you don't really care about the calories.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member

I don't plan cheat days, but if I know I'm going out with friends I'll usually check the menu ahead of time and pre-log, pre-log a few drinks & then if I have a little extra while I'm out and remember to log the next day, then that's fine. If not, that's also fine. But overall, yes I try to always log.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    I do the best I can, but the only real "cheat" days I have are my birthday, Thanksgiving and Christmas. For three days out of 365, I don't think it matters one way or another.