What is the 30 Day Shred? Q & A Thread

Options
It's all over the MFP boards and sweeping the nation! What is this 30 day shred phenomenon? Hopefully I'll answer all your questions below. For the shred enthusiasts, please feel free to add your comments and suggestions to the newbies (or if I left something out.) For those looking for answers, please post them here!

**What is it?**lionsgate_30dayshredDVD.jpg
-Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred DVD video exercise program (often seen abbreviated as 30DS on these boards)
-3 workouts on the DVD – Level 1, Level 2 & Level 3
-Each level consists of 3 circuits: 3 minutes of strength with weights, 2 minutes of cardio, 1 minute of abs
-Each level gets progressively more difficult
-Is intended to be done 30 days straight- 10 days at each level, no rest days
-Based on your fitness level, you can follow Natalie’s moves (advanced) or more modified, less advanced moves of Anita
See a preview of the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuJcM93v9AY

**How long is it?**
It is logged as 20 minutes of exercise. Start to finish it is right around 27 minutes, including the warm up and cool down.

**How do I log it as exercise?**
20 minutes of Circuit Training under Cardio Exercise. For Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) users, you can build it into your exercises and label it as 30 Day Shred (or whatever suits your fancy.) :wink:

**Do I have to do all 10 days at each level?**
Not at all. If you feel ready to advance to the next level before 10 days, go ahead and move on. If after 10 days you still don’t feel ready to advance, keep going at that level until you’re ready. You can even move back a level if you feel the next is still to difficult. It’s not a race to the finish, listen to your body and do what’s best for you.

**What if I miss a day or decide to do it every other day?**
For the fastest results, it is intended to be done 30 days straight. You’ll still get the results you want, just over a longer period of time or however long it takes to complete the 30 days.

**I’m so sore; I can’t possibly do it today!**:noway:
Don’t be discouraged. The soreness will only last about 4 days. By day 5 you will be rocking it out but you must push through the soreness and keep going.

**Yeah, but does it really work?**
Yes, but see for yourself! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/272924-the-ultimate-before-and-after-30-day-shred-thread?hl=the+ultimate+20

**Ok, I'm in. Where can I find it?**
Wal-Mart, Target, Amazon, EBay, Netflix or On Demand from your local cable company

**Do I need anything to do it?**
A set of dumbbell weights – 3 or 5 lb weights (or higher, depending on your fitness level), a mat if you’re on a hard surface and the DVD, of course! Don't have weights yet? No worries - just raid your kitchen cabinets for a couple of cans of beans!

**Jillian’s voice is annoying and I have all her lines memorized. How am I going to make it through 30 days without throwing my dumbbell at the TV?**:grumble:
Turn down the volume and crank up your favorite tunes on your stereo or ipod, buddy! And don’t phone it in!

:mad: !!!!!!!!-->I’m gaining weight during the program, HELP!<--!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry:
You’ve started a new strength-training program with weight lifting. Your muscles are not accustomed to this type of exercise and they can become very sore during the days following the workout. This type of soreness is thought to be caused by a variety of factors, including physical damage or minute tears in muscle tissue. In addition, the muscle tissue becomes inflamed and slightly swollen by fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few days of the workout.
Most people are motivated enough to put up with muscle soreness, but if they are watching the scale go up, they can grow discouraged. Understanding that this is a normal and temporary phenomenon can help to maintain motivation.
After a couple weeks of strength training, some increase in muscle size will typically take place. Of course, this can show up as weight gain even though body fat is being lost. Muscle is heavier than fat, so a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat.
Consequently, muscle development can mask fat loss if you are watching the scale. Yet, your waist, hips and thighs can be shrinking in size and your clothes will fit better. Also, an increase in muscle tissue results in increased calorie needs, even at rest.

Bottom line: Don’t let the scale fool you! Take before/after pictures and measurements and see for yourself the amazing transformation!

Ref: http://www.nutritionatc.hawaii.edu/HO/2002/135.htm

Need motivation?:
32552016.jpg

Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred is an awesome workout that will begin showing a difference in your body in about 5 days, and put you that much closer to a body like the super toned, super hot Jillian Michaels. This workout operates under the principle of muscle confusion, which means your development will not plateau, and you will see results fast. Muscles get accustomed to repetitive work-outs very quickly. Most people do not know this is happening, continue the ineffective work-out, and then get discouraged at the lack of progress. Work-outs like the 30 Day Shred use muscle confusion to tone and slim your body quickly and efficiently, and the end result is undeniably amazing.

Difficulty: Moderately Challenging

Instructions

1 Measurements and (if you’re brave) before/after pictures are important so you can judge your results.
Before you start Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred, take your measurements. You'll be glad you did later. Measure each arm (thickest part), each thigh (thickest part), upper waist (smallest) and lower waist (at your belly button), and your hips (biggest part). Write this info down, or put it in Excel so you can come back to it after 30 days. This work-out will probably cause you to lose weight, about 10 lbs, but that can vary. You will definitely lose inches, however, and develop tone that will surprise you. The reason your weight doesn't drop as quickly is because you are developing muscle and reshaping your body.

2 Get yourself a copy of Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred on DVD (or VHS), OR you can download online immediately. If you have your own DVD, it's easier to watch than on the computer, and you can also get it for a much lower price. The 30 Day shred DVD runs anywhere from $6 to about $14. The instant download is about $16, but you get the instant gratification of starting your workout immediately. It can be hard to view from your computer with all the up and down you need to do, and you may find it a pain to move the screen back and forth every 2 minutes so you can see where Jillian and the gals are in the program. Still, it's my preferred method.

3 Set aside a time of about 30 minutes each day to do Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred workout. You really need to do the program EVERY SINGLE DAY for results. It's very difficult in the beginning because you will be so sore, it will hurt to live. Jillian says work through the pain. Do not stop or wait until the soreness subsides, and you will be amazed at the change in your body in just a week.

4 Start with 3 lb. dumbbells and work up to 5, or start with 5 if you think you can handle it. Jillian Michaels and the other fitness instructors are using 5 lb. weights in the video, but they are advanced trainers. I started with 5, but I've been going to the gym for years. However, that said, this work-out still kicked my butt, and I thought I was in pretty good shape. That's how hard core it is, but very effective.

5 You know you've made it when you can do male push-ups.
Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred is designed in three levels to be done over the course of 30 days. Level 1 of the workout should be done for 10 days, Level 2 for 10, and Level 3 for 10. When you finally can complete Level 3 of this fitness program, stay there, or mix it up every once in a while. When I started Level 1, the first three days, I could not do everything. I had to severely modify it by using the weights only half the time each set (the other half I did without any weights at all), and doing female push-ups. On about Day 10, I could almost do the whole thing. Feel free to stay on Level 1 until you can master it, then move to Level 2. You do not have to move up every 10 days.

6 The results are worth it!
At the end of 30 days, take your measurements again, even if you are only on Level 2. You are sure to see a change of about 1 to 2 inches in most parts of your body. This will probably put you down a dress size. In addition, you will be stronger, more toned, and actually in shape. You'll be glad you let Jillian Michaels kick your butt.

Tips & Warnings
• Find a place where you will not be interrupted. You are only allowed to stop for 5 seconds between each set, according to Jillian Michaels herself.
• If it's too hard, start by doing it without free weights.
• This workout is probably too difficult for extremely out of shape people who never exercise. Take it slow.

Read more: How to Do Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5363883_do-jillian-michaels-day-shred.html#ixzz1UG3wmIPv

Lastly, jump into any 30DS support groups on here for motivation or an extra push to get you through. We’re here to help you!

:flowerforyou: Happy shredding friends! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jbiancad
    jbiancad Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. Im on day 7 and im about ready to throw the dumbbell and the tv and tell her she's full of crap lol
  • katijjane
    katijjane Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    thanks for this! i've been 'about to start it' for about a month now haha but this has made me REALLY want to do it! gunna go take my measurements now :)
  • aparks1177
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I couldn't figure out how to record this in my exercise log, but now I know.
  • jojospero
    jojospero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Great info! I'm gonna give it a try!
  • Ceceamanda
    Ceceamanda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I love this dvd. I've done before and going back at this month. Love Jillian!
  • Luckysusan
    Luckysusan Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    You summed it up very well. I just completed 30 days yesterday and had good results. I am planning on doing this program as part of my regular exercise program. Maybe not everyday like I did but it is a good workout and it works!
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    Great info! I have it and am going to do it. I just need to figure out when. I'm doing Llindsay Brin's 60-day slimdown right now and have 30 days left. I'm either going to do 30DS after that or do Firm Express. I'll do the other one in the next 30 days after that.
  • jojospero
    Options
    Ok... just want to make sure I'm doing this right. I'm on day 3. So we do the level 1 routine for 10 days, right? And it's the SAME exact work out every time for 10 days? I thought each day would be a different workout for 10 days at that level. Ok, so then you move on to Level 2 for 10 days and then Level 3 for the last 10.
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    thanks for this...I am only on day 4, but I didnt do measurements or before/after pics....this made me want to do them. I will be getting the imbarrassment over with as soon as a get home!!
  • Leanne60
    Leanne60 Posts: 21
    Options
    I am soooo getting this DVD! I want that body too!
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Ok... just want to make sure I'm doing this right. I'm on day 3. So we do the level 1 routine for 10 days, right? And it's the SAME exact work out every time for 10 days? I thought each day would be a different workout for 10 days at that level. Ok, so then you move on to Level 2 for 10 days and then Level 3 for the last 10.

That is correct. You do the one workout for 10 days straight. It builds muscles and prepares you for more advanced versions of the moves in the following level. For example, day one on Level 1 I couldn't do one push up at all. By day 10, I could do ten full blown pushups in a row! Level 2 has a lot of planks, so I can see now how the pushups prepared me for the planks.

Happy shredding!:flowerforyou:
  • jojospero
    Options

That is correct. You do the one workout for 10 days straight. It builds muscles and prepares you for more advanced versions of the moves in the following level. For example, day one on Level 1 I couldn't do one push up at all. By day 10, I could do ten full blown pushups in a row! Level 2 has a lot of planks, so I can see now how the pushups prepared me for the planks.

Happy shredding!:flowerforyou:

Thank You! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Because I always heard you're not supposed to work the same muscles 2 days in a row and now I'm doing the same ones for 10 days! OK, so I'll keep going... on day 4 today! It is a very quick work out even though I'm not burning that many calories, but hopefully I'll build some muscle!:smile: I'll let you know how I do by day 30!
  • Cella30
    Options
  • nikip6454
    Options

**Jillian’s voice is annoying and I have all her lines memorized. How am I going to make it through 30 days without throwing my dumbbell at the TV?**:grumble:
    Turn down the volume and crank up your favorite tunes on your stereo or ipod, buddy! And don’t phone it in!

The DVD also has an option to do the workout with music only, no Jillian! I had her memorized by the end of day two. During the second set of static lunges she says "only a couple more" but really its like eight more and I get mad each and every time!
  • Cella30
    Options

The DVD also has an option to do the workout with music only, no Jillian! I had her memorized by the end of day two. During the second set of static lunges she says "only a couple more" but really its like eight more and I get mad each and every time!

I know exactly where you are talking about - I have the same reaction!! haha I might give the music only version a try...excellent suggestion!
  • suepeta
    Options
    bump
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    SO I wonder - could I do level 1 this early into my weight loss journey? I've been doing cardio 4-5 days a week for about 8 weeks, lost about 20lbs total (some before joining MFP) but still have a lot left to lose.

I guess I could try one day and if it's just too much I could always save it for a few months from now! :)
  • kelkir
    kelkir Posts: 20
    Options
    What happens after I complete the 30 days? Can I start over to maintain? Or will I still lose more weight doing it all over again? Should I move on to another JM video/workout plan?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this!!
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later, thanks for this, it's really useful.