Slimming world discussion

Anyone done slimming world? Iv tried everything else. I need a lifestyle change not a quick fix and depriving myself all the time so I'm miserable.

I know a few people who have lost loads of weight! Just want everyone's views?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Just a question but you're on here, whats wrong with calorie counting? 1000's of us have had huge success doing that :smile:
    Hope you get some good feedback on SW.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Not sure why you'd want to pay to follow a program when you can just log your calories on MyFitnessPal for free. Are you struggling with what to eat? How much? What makes Slimming World seem easier?

I'd suggest logging everything you eat NOW and see where that gets you, then start looking to see where you can make improvements. Knowledge is power. The trick to losing weight and keeping it off on MyFitnessPal? Consistancy. Doing it everyday. Myself and many others have had great success on here - but we all have something in common. We kept going. We did what we needed to do to meet our calorie goal.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    I have not deprived myself and have lost nearly 7lbs in slightly over two weeks (first week was a lot of water weight). I've indulged in things like movie theater popcorn, candy, ice cream, wine, cheeseburgers, and creme brulee in that time period. I stayed within my calorie goals for the week with some to spare.
  • journeytoslim1
    journeytoslim1 Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2018
    I joined slimming world 3 months ago and have lost 2 stone I’m so happy prior to that i was using my fitness pal for 8 months and lost just over a stone so In total I’ve lost 3 stone 4.5lbs. The difference isn’t how much I was eating as I always stayed under by target cals on mfp, it’s what I was eating and making a positive life change. It’s not hard and I don’t feel like I’m on a diet as I’m able to eat all the things I ever wanted but just make it from scratch x I’ve only one stone to go to get to target ;)
  • Aymzc
    Aymzc Posts: 159 Member
    I tried slimming world last year, personally I didn't get on with it. I felt really bloated and uncomfortable all the time so the scales didn't really budge. I also found it annoying writing everything down on a food diary rather than use your phone (the app is rubbish) and the fact you didn't really portion anything out meant I was probably eating more than I should too!
  • georgiamarsh17
    georgiamarsh17 Posts: 77 Member
    I've tried it a couple of times, but never lost any weight. However my Mum has lost like 2 and a half stone on it and she likes it. Depends on the person I guess :)
  • SophiaJane81
    SophiaJane81 Posts: 40 Member
    Yes. I did.i lost about a stone. This was my 3rd try. I don't do it anymore. Too many processed and low food recommendations. I loved my group however and miss them. However I feel more flexibility this way. Through prayer and mfp it works!
  • rach3539
    rach3539 Posts: 1 Member
    I lost about 2 stone in 2008 doing slimming world. This was using the red and green days though which they apparently don't do anymore. I didn't eat much meat, so mainly did green days. It did work for sure. Its great that you can fill up on free foods, you could make a huge plate of pasta with homemade sauce and veggies & salad (no fats added) and it was all free, there is always something you are able to eat if you're hungry but sometimes it's just not what you want to eat. I used to miss things like condiments and sauces as I would save my syns for treats like icecream and chocolate. I also use to rely a lot on their hifi bars to curb my sweet tooth. I think it's quite hard to mix mfp and sw though, I've tried to do both a couple of years ago and it didn't work for me, I would jump between the methods and just didn't lose. I've just started back up on mfp and am finding it easier as I can eat what ever I want, I just have to stay within my calories.
  • liannebaker17
    liannebaker17 Posts: 54 Member
    rach3539 wrote: »
    I lost about 2 stone in 2008 doing slimming world. This was using the red and green days though which they apparently don't do anymore. I didn't eat much meat, so mainly did green days. It did work for sure. Its great that you can fill up on free foods, you could make a huge plate of pasta with homemade sauce and veggies & salad (no fats added) and it was all free, there is always something you are able to eat if you're hungry but sometimes it's just not what you want to eat. I used to miss things like condiments and sauces as I would save my syns for treats like icecream and chocolate. I also use to rely a lot on their hifi bars to curb my sweet tooth. I think it's quite hard to mix mfp and sw though, I've tried to do both a couple of years ago and it didn't work for me, I would jump between the methods and just didn't lose. I've just started back up on mfp and am finding it easier as I can eat what ever I want, I just have to stay within my calories.

And have you lost using MFP? Ive been following sw for two years I’ve lost 5stone 4.5lbs with only having lost 4.5 lbs since August last year, I feel restricted, bored and miserable. I’m looking into calorie counting again and today I logged my food in here whilst eating “on plan” and found out I was only eating 700 calories today and actually my calorie goal to loose 2lbs a week is 1720 so I was under eating by 1000 calories. I’m almost scared to eat anything to bring my calories up as this would take me way over my “syns”
    Last time i calorie counted I gained weight so I’m worried.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    edited February 2018
    rach3539 wrote: »

And have you lost using MFP? Ive been following sw for two years I’ve lost 5stone 4.5lbs with only having lost 4.5 lbs since August last year, I feel restricted, bored and miserable. I’m looking into calorie counting again and today I logged my food in here whilst eating “on plan” and found out I was only eating 700 calories today and actually my calorie goal to loose 2lbs a week is 1720 so I was under eating by 1000 calories. I’m almost scared to eat anything to bring my calories up as this would take me way over my “syns”
    Last time i calorie counted I gained weight so I’m worried.

I would start a different thread asking people to look through my diary for common issues with logging if you are consistently only eating 700Cal and not droping weight **kitten** fast!

The first posts in each section of the forums have references to interesting threads that are deemed to be "stickies". There are a couple of discussions there on how to set realistic goals, improve calorie counting accuracy, deal with weight fluctuations and improve weight measurements, and about the potential effects of adaptive thermogenesis on dieters. There is also a refeeds and diet break thread started by Nony_Mouse. All interesting stuff.

I don't doubt that you can be an outlier and thus currently need to eat fewer calories than predicted to lose weight.

This **doesn't** mean that you have to give up or that (depending on your past history) that there is nothing you can do to improve your situation.
  • parachute_hoot
    parachute_hoot Posts: 21 Member
    I have lost just over 3 stone on Slimming World in about 18 months. I lost most of that within 14 months and have spent the last 3-4 months not making much progress... which lead me here to MFP and calorie counting.

I believe if you have a lot of weight to lose then SW is very good, as it encourages you to cook from scratch, limit the amount of sugar you have and you have that comfort of being able to eat as much potatoes, rice and pasta as you like in order to feel full/satisfied. This gives people so much comfort, especially people who are used to overeating and take comfort in food.

However, I have noticed that the closer I get to my target, the more I need to monitor my portion control and how much I am eating - it is hard to do that on SW, which is why I have moved to MFP.

I am only in my second week of MFP, and due to weigh in tomorrow night. I lost 3.5lbs in my first week which I was delighted with, so I am hoping to lose on average 1lb a week until I reach my target.

Here is a thread I started last week on transitioning from SW to MFP and it raised so many good points from members: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10638494/slimming-world-to-mfp#latest

If you are feeling deprived then please be aware than on SW you are allocated 15 syns per day to use on non-free foods such as chocolate, crisps, white bread, butter etc... An avocado is 4-6 syns per half an avocado. A two finger KitKat is 5.5 syns. A spoonful of sugar is 1 syn. My point is that you are more restricted on SW than MFP.

If you can commit to counting your calories and logging your food for 2 months, I think you would notice a big difference. I have always stuggled with the weekly weigh in and how that can fluxuate, but if you are in it for the long game then you will succeed. Just be honest with yourself, plan ahead and think of the bigger picture.

If you feel you have a lot of weight to lose - 3+ stone, and you want to learn how to cook from scratch and you might like the support of a group then I would recommend SW. But from my experience so far, MFP is a great tool which you can use alone.
  • Paul699
    Paul699 Posts: 41 Member
    I tried it and hated it, far too restrictive i found personally, and spending most of my time prepping food for the next day or too was far too tying as well.

Ive seen good success stories with it, but for me it was not a long term thing (or even short term as i quit in 2 weeks and came to Cal counting)

At the eof the day, wright loss is all about cal deficit, and all the different clubs are just putting a different slant on it, if cals in is less than cals out, then you will lose.

But best of luck in your choice
  • liannebaker17
    liannebaker17 Posts: 54 Member
    I have lost just over 3 stone on Slimming World in about 18 months. I lost most of that within 14 months and have spent the last 3-4 months not making much progress... which lead me here to MFP and calorie counting.

I believe if you have a lot of weight to lose then SW is very good, as it encourages you to cook from scratch, limit the amount of sugar you have and you have that comfort of being able to eat as much potatoes, rice and pasta as you like in order to feel full/satisfied. This gives people so much comfort, especially people who are used to overeating and take comfort in food.

However, I have noticed that the closer I get to my target, the more I need to monitor my portion control and how much I am eating - it is hard to do that on SW, which is why I have moved to MFP.

I am only in my second week of MFP, and due to weigh in tomorrow night. I lost 3.5lbs in my first week which I was delighted with, so I am hoping to lose on average 1lb a week until I reach my target.

Here is a thread I started last week on transitioning from SW to MFP and it raised so many good points from members: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10638494/slimming-world-to-mfp#latest

If you are feeling deprived then please be aware than on SW you are allocated 15 syns per day to use on non-free foods such as chocolate, crisps, white bread, butter etc... An avocado is 4-6 syns per half an avocado. A two finger KitKat is 5.5 syns. A spoonful of sugar is 1 syn. My point is that you are more restricted on SW than MFP.

If you can commit to counting your calories and logging your food for 2 months, I think you would notice a big difference. I have always stuggled with the weekly weigh in and how that can fluxuate, but if you are in it for the long game then you will succeed. Just be honest with yourself, plan ahead and think of the bigger picture.

If you feel you have a lot of weight to lose - 3+ stone, and you want to learn how to cook from scratch and you might like the support of a group then I would recommend SW. But from my experience so far, MFP is a great tool which you can use alone.

I have lost 5 stone with slimming world and still have another 6 stone to loose at a minimum but I don’t feel I can continue with sW fully now, I find it too restrictive and like you say spend most of my time cooking dinner. I’m still using the bases of slimming world with the a & b choices but giving this another go too. I’ve only lost 4.5lbs in the last 6 months with slimming world.
    I also learned yesterday that on slimming world I wasn’t eating hardly any calories my cal goal on here is 1720 yesterday I only ate 720 calories after having breakfast lunch and dinner on slimming world plan. Obviously not enough to full my body