Healthy Wage - Get Paid to Lose Weight??? Anyone tried this?

Options
2»

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Shellz31 wrote: »

Eta: I checked the agreement and no, they don't have the rights to use your images for ads :) They don't even require before/after images.

No.

See #9 on this list: https://www.healthywage.com/legal/terms-and-conditions

They can use and even modify any of your images literally forever, with no limits. Read the language, they are pretty careful to cover every possibility.

Good luck to all participants.

Besides all the other red flags, this alone is a deal breaker.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    beo2012 wrote: »
    I just signed up to do a 10% loss in 6mo. The motivation for me isn't winning money, it is not loosing what I put in. Couldn't find any motivation this time, needed something. This is better then wasting money at a gym I wont use. Start 264.5, 26lb goal. Need 26lbs by May 08, 2017. The wife will kill me if I loose $600 bucks, talk about motivation!

Wow this guy will lose weight in the past.
  • stonefox86
    stonefox86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just signed up. This website is featured on NPR and many other news sources, and all complaints against them I've dug up seem petty. I am very thrifty and motivated by money, so I knew this would light a fire under me.
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    stonefox86 wrote: »
    I just signed up. This website is featured on NPR and many other news sources, and all complaints against them I've dug up seem petty. I am very thrifty and motivated by money, so I knew this would light a fire under me.

Yep! I read the reviews and complaints. I went with it too! BTW, if anyone wants to sign up they gave me a referral link where it adds $40 to your pot. If you want it, message me and I'll send it to you! I did one and got additional money to mine as well.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I just went to the site and entered my stats and potential weight loss in a sensible amount of time (losing 25 lbs in 7 months), and my net earnings would be $57. That alone would not be a big motivator, but I guess trying to earn back what I already had put in would be more so ($175).

I wonder how others are earning so much more? I haven't played around with the numbers, but it must be by paying in more money, or choosing a shorter (and less realistic) timeframe.
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Those terms are outdated (from 2014), the terms I agreed to make clear that verification photos are private and cannot be used for anything but weight verification. Of course, if you post photos on the forums or other areas of the site, they are fair game, just like on pretty much all social media sites.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    You can post photos on social media sites and retain your copyright, FYI.
  • Shellz31
    Options
    You can post photos on social media sites and retain your copyright, FYI.

True but you grant those sites free license to use your copyrighted photographs. Facebook, I know, has narrowed down their own publishing licenses after some bad PR. I'm honestly not current if others have followed their lead or retained full publishing licenses. Doesn't really bother me tbh because I don't post anything super private on any sites. I doubt they'd want my profile pic lol
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I did a similar site, DietBet, to lose 15 pounds a year or two back, and it motivated me, and I won some money.
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I just went to the site and entered my stats and potential weight loss in a sensible amount of time (losing 25 lbs in 7 months), and my net earnings would be $57. That alone would not be a big motivator, but I guess trying to earn back what I already had put in would be more so ($175).

I wonder how others are earning so much more? I haven't played around with the numbers, but it must be by paying in more money, or choosing a shorter (and less realistic) timeframe.

You get higher payouts depending on the odds of losing it. So if you have a higher loss amount in a shorter time then that is a higher payout. Mine is 50 pounds in 6 months. I'm putting $120 in and I'll get $550 out so I am guessing they dont think I'll do it.
  • brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I just calculated to see how much I’d “win.” If I lost 10% of my body weight in 6 months (which would be hard at my height and weight), I’d win $16.66. I weight 126, so I’d have to lose 13 pounds. $16.66 net winnings is not enough motivation for me to sign up—especially when I’d have to pay $150 to get it.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Also, the shortest period of time is 6 months. What happens if this business goes under during that time? Or you get injured/sick, have a family emergency that drastically changes your lifestyle, etc? It's not worth the risk to me.
  • Shellz31
    Options
    You get higher payouts depending on the odds of losing it. So if you have a higher loss amount in a shorter time then that is a higher payout. Mine is 50 pounds in 6 months. I'm putting $120 in and I'll get $550 out so I am guessing they dont think I'll do it.

I don't think this is true at all. I know when I played with the calculator, there was little difference in payout between losing 10%
    in 6 months v 20% in six months.

I do think they pay a lot more to people who start at high weights. I usually see low payouts with those who are in a healthy bmi our close to it. Also, paying more in raises the roi.

I was quite large so 10% in 6 months was very reasonable (just over a pound a week), and I nearly tripled my money. I absolutely would NOT recommend betting to lose a large amount. I was on their forums for 6 months and you see how they stay in business... so many don't reach their goals. I bet low. At over 300, losing 1.3 pounds a week was very reasonable. Please, don't bet to lose 2 pounds a week because one plateau and it's impossible to catch up. You should bet BELOW what you actually think you can achieve. Give yourself plenty of wiggle room. My next bet is 15% in a year, less than 1 pound a week.
    Also, the shortest period of time is 6 months. What happens if this business goes under during that time? Or you get injured/sick, have a family emergency that drastically changes your lifestyle, etc? It's not worth the risk to me.

They've been in business over a decade and have good rating with bbb. If they went out of business, it would not negate their legal obligations. Emergencies are definitely a worry. They have some guidelines in their contract but are strict because they don't want people dropping out last minute. That would put them out of business lol
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Bump to this thread; I just signed up on Healthy Wage to lose 15 lbs in 8 months, as I will be getting married in the spring and have plateaued about 20 lbs above my goal weight for the last three months. I'm hoping the extra motivation will help me bust through my plateau!
  • Butterflys4jesus
    Butterflys4jesus Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    https://hwage.co/266705/

My wager is 10 dollars a month for 12 months to lose 130 lbs and I will win $925.00 in the end. I’ve seen my friends win and physically win checks, so it is legit. 130 lbs May seem like a lot but I’m losing around 3-4 lbs a week on low carb high good fat moderate protein diet close to Keto. If you don’t make it in that amount of time, you can extend your bet by 6 months at the same rate that you bet per month for another 6 months. Sign up through my link and it will kick us both back an extra $40 added onto the prizes.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Options

You can contact them if you have an injury and defer it. You could say the same of anything really, if you lived your whole life on the basis of what if the worst happened, noone would ever do anything.