A little annoyed by this weight training recommendation.

Options

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Are these people certified trainers or random acquaintances? If a trainer, find a new one. If acquaintances, please regard it as a random ignorant statement, not a "recommendation." If you do "get bulky" (which you wont') you can just stop lifting for awhile and it will disappear quickly, so you have nothing to worry about. As for conversations, I simply wouldn't get into with people. If you feel you must respond to their ignorant comments, ask them which fitness certification they have.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Don't pay any attention to them. It takes way more than what you are doing, for years, and possibly with roids for a woman to get "bulky". Fit women are beautiful women. Some of the best looking girls in my gym pull around 315 deadlifts. It's fun to see them warm up with weights some of the bros use for working sets.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Lift heavier
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    RoseGranz wrote: »
    Ill keep it short. I used to do all cardio. Then I started doing light weights(5 lbs. Maybe 10 for squats). Then I read into women who lift heavier weights and decided to push myself more. Not saying I lift 50lbs dumbbells. But I now do 15-20lbs (5-10 for weaker muscle groups) depending on the exercise. And I am proud of myself.

But I keep coming across people who keep saying I should go back to 5-10lbs pounds so I don't get "bulky" and I thought this was proven to be false?

It just kinda annoys and discourages me.

You won't get bulky. I'm trying to be bulky and trust me, it takes a lot of work and a lot of food. The girls who are completely yoked with wide shoulders and huge quads eat enough and have a very detailed regiment to maintain that look. Ignorant people make the "too bulky" comments. Ignore them.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Yeahhh, don’t listen to the heavy lifter haters. They do not know what they are talking about.
  • JackRussellTerrierMom
    Options
    It's a myth that just keeps on going and going. There are so many of them out there, right? We should list all the myths we all hear about exercise and nutrition, that would be a long blog thread
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be a post about your annoyance at advice to lift heavy.

Glad it's not. Don't listen to them. Keep that overload going.

I have gotten bigger while lifting weights. But guess what...I was lifting heavy *kitten* weights while eating like an *kitten* hole. Imagine that. Eat too much and you get bigger??

But eat at maintenance or a deficit while lifting...you gonna look lean and fine.
  • RoseGranz
    RoseGranz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ps: These weights are what are heavy for me at the moment. If I could do heavier I gladly would. I'll state again I DO NOT FEAR getting "bulky" because I know it won't happen and I'd gladly add muscle anyway. Was just annoyed that people keep telling me to go down back to my 5lb weights.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    A blank stare til they move on is the best explanation you should offer. This is 100% untrue. Women do not have the testosterone to bulk up like that. You're doing perfect. I alternate between lifting heavy and bodyweight exercises just to keep my muscles limber but personally, bodyweight is what really toned me up and I weight a lot more than a 15 - 20lb dumbbell!
  • gvizzle74
    gvizzle74 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    RoseGranz wrote: »
    Yeah I figured they were wrong and I have no fear of getting "bulky". Just get tired of explaining myself because then it turns into "What do you know? You're fat". And I 100% plan on increasing my weights as I go. I want to be strong.

Here's the great thing...you don't have to explain yourself. Smile and nod.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I totally love it when my obese friends try to tell me how I should be eating, which they feel compelled to do, a lot, why they feel the need is just beyond my comprehension...I just say "I'll have to do some research" when they start on the latest you-should fad, and they generally shut up...<sigh>...keep doing your own thing, you got this!!!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    heytimsla wrote: »
    Yeah any reps after six and boom instant bodybuilder. It's science , I read it in Shape magazine.

I thought it was any less than 15-20?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I totally love it when my obese friends try to tell me how I should be eating, which they feel compelled to do, a lot, why they feel the need is just beyond my comprehension...I just say "I'll have to do some research" when they start on the latest you-should fad, and they generally shut up...<sigh>...keep doing your own thing, you got this!!!

I have the opposite problem: because I'm carrying about 20 pounds of extra weight, people assume I don't know anything. It was worse when I was 60 pounds heavier.

That was a problem for me, right up until I showed otherwise(see my profile pic for an example).
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    You don't have to lift heavy as long as whatever you do you lift to fatigue in the sets. It is actually good to mix lifting heavy and lifting light with higher reps so you activate all muscle fibers, building strength and endurance. The lighter weight and higher rep lifting works more toward Type I fibers which allows definition without as much size gain as lifting heavy which activates type to fibers more that have greater hypertrophy. But as mentioned, unless you really REALLY hit it hard you are not going to bulk big.