Homemade salad dressing

Options
nleopard13
nleopard13 Posts: 2 Member
Hi all. I am turning to lots of vegetables to help my weight loss goals. Had some success two years ago. PROBLEM: I love a well dressed salad. Tried doing a homemade dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. It was ok, but it’s getting a little old already two weeks in. Any good homemade salad dressing recipes out there? Low cal? Or other thoughts to replace my satiation?

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Experiment with different types of vinegar
  • DeviatedNorm
    DeviatedNorm Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I like using different balsamic vinegars -- spicy, fruity ones are probably my favorite. But orange juice or lime juice on its own works really well too. For an add of creamy, mix with some plain greek yogurt and add some spices.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I mush up avocado with salt, mustard, spices, and enough acv to make a slush on the chopping board- its yum!
    Another yoghurt vote for creamy dressings
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I've been using this one for like 2 months straight: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/14297/asian-coleslaw/

You have to like raw ginger and garlic though. I use peanut powder instead of PB, 1/3 the oil, and substitute a portion of sugar w/ stevia,
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    my favorite go to homemade salald dressing is lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, canola oil, salt, pepper, a decent amount of thyme, and a bit of sugar or honey. you need to use the canola oil, it tastes much better than the olive oil. another favorite is sesame oil, white vinegar and fresh pureed garlic. (i haven't made this one in a while and i forget if i add sugar to it or not.) it's great on plain romaine.
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I agree with others...the infused vinegars are tasty and lo cal. I particularly like the grapefruit balsamic vinegar (sounds sour...but is sweet) and the raspberry balsamic vinegar...both of which can be used solely on their own or paired with a lemon infused olive oil. For the lo cal option, I'm just fine with the infused vinegars without any oil. For an Asian flavor, try any of the rice vinegars (some are seasoned and some not) paired with just a couple of drops (go light) of sesame oil.
  • BCxLacedUp
    BCxLacedUp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    7ivbtbyo19dz.jpeg

This coleslaw/dressing combo is delicious! I’m sure the dressing would be tasty on other salads as well, although I have never calculated how many calories per serving it has.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    yogurt & avocado
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I am among those who add yogurt for a creamy effect but have been thinking of plant-based alternatives and plan to experiment with silken tofu after next grocery trip. Also lately have been adding crushed pecans to dressing; needs to be shaken well before use though.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Another tasty substitute is using a delicious salsa!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, chili powder, garlic powder, salt/pepper - a drizzle of honey if it's too tart
    Also a good marinade for grilled chicken and flank steak!
  • kemoon0915
    kemoon0915 Posts: 113 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    3 ounce, Frozen Avocado Halves mashed
    9 oz., Greek Fat Free Yogurt
    3 tbsp, Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
    0.50 tbsp, Spices, dill weed, dried
    0.25 tsp(s), Salt
    0.25 tsp, ground, Spices, pepper, black

4 servings, comes out to 83 calories 4 grams of fat and 7 grams of protein a serving.
    You might need to adjust the lemon juice and salt and pepper to your taste as I don't always really measure those, just add until it's right.
    Also, I make this without the avocado for a good tangy dip for raw veggies
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is a good sub for mayonnaise in creamy dressings.
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    This was my grandmother's recipe for a Sweet Onion Dressing. I would not consider it lo-cal...but, then again, it all depends on how much you use:

.5 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
    1 cup Vegetable Oil
    .667 cup Granulate Sugar
    1 teaspoon Salt
    .5 teaspoon Pepper
    1 medium Onion
    1 teaspoon Celery Salt
    2 teaspoons dry or prepared Mustard (I prefer the dry mustard)

Thoroughly blend all ingredients in blender. Stores in refrigerator without separating for several weeks.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I like hummus for a salad dressing....I make my own and thin it down a bit for salad dressing in the vita mix....I add things like olives instead of olive oil or roasted red peppers & smoked papirka or pesto and hummus. When I make hummus in the vita mix about 1/4 of it sits at the bottom of vitamix so then I add water to make my salad dressing and to not waste the hummus.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Your basic dressing starts with an oil and a sour note. Try sesame oil, mayonnaise, or mashed avocado, for example instead of olive. Sour notes include vinegars, citrus juices, yogurt, buttermilk. Then consider savory notes, such as garlic, soy sauce, capers, peanut butter, or roasted peppers, and sweet notes such as honey, maple syrup, flavored vinegars, or a spoonful of jam or jelly. Then consider herbs or spices. Don't forget salt and heat!

For different ideas, think about your favorite foods and the complete flavor profile, so for example you might end up with a Thai dressing made with sesame oil, soy, lime juice, peanut butter, red pepper, garlic, and ginger. If you wanted a more Indian flavor, leave out the soy and add garam masala. Or a Mexican dressing with sour cream and lime juice. There are literally infinite ideas, as long as you keep in mind the balance between your basic flavors, just throw stuff in there and be adventurous.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    not home made but my favorite dressing is Ken't lite northern italian. I don't like italian dressing but love this one.2 Tbl is 45 cal
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Red wine vinegar with some Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Lots of flavor, doesn't even need oil.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple. Olive oil, basalmic (often flavoured...currently have a fig version) and flavoured salts.
  • r3488
    r3488 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Not sure how low cal you're after and I like my salad dressing sweet. Here's my tweaked copycat version of the maple vinaigrette dressing on Chick-Fil-A's superfood side salad:

5 tablespoons maple syrup
    1/2 cup olive oil (I use the Pompeian extra light tasting; I don't like the flavor of EVOO.)
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper (I'm not a big fan of pepper.)

Experiment and change it up to suit your tastes. :smile: