Day 3 of being vegetarian...tips and support please!

Options
Hi all!

3 days a go I decided to follow a vegan diet, however I quickly realised that cutting everything out all at once is virtually impossible! For now I have decided to cut out meat and I am cutting right back on dairy.

I am constantly hungry all the time (I have reservations as to whether 1,200 calories is enough for me but that is another question entirely) I have had a constant headache for 3 days and as an IBS sufferer I am also not getting on well with the meat alternative products.

Is this normal or am I dong something wrong?

I would really appreciate some MFP friends who are also on this journey to offer tips, hints and recipes :smile:

Thanks!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    So what are you eating instead?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If the 1200 is new, I'd assume it is likely to be that, but if you are low on fat or protein that might be a problem. It's quite likely you don't need to be that low, and if you are exercising or active you will want to eat more for sure. If you want to give your stats we could comment.

I'm not 100% plant-based, but I'm moving that way (maybe) and trying to eat that way at the moment, and have done it at times in the past (Lent, and an experiment in November). I'm enough of a volume eater that I usually feel super satiated, although I need to make sure I'm including enough fat.

You don't need meat alternatives, although I personally enjoy tofu and tempeh (and don't really think of them as meat alternatives, just a different form of legume). Do you include other foods that have a decent amount of protein, like beans and lentils? Also, eggs are great if you are still eating them.

We have a vegetable and fruit challenge going elsewhere (Challenge section) that you might enjoy too.

What specifically are you eating?
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    you might wanna look into a low fodmap diet to deal with your ibs. here is a vegan take on it-
    http://www.theveganrd.com/2016/03/vegan-diets-and-irritable-bowel-syndrome-the-fodmap-approach/
  • Fat_Fighter87
    Fat_Fighter87 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    addguac199 wrote: »
    you might wanna look into a low fodmap diet to deal with your ibs. here is a vegan take on it-
    http://www.theveganrd.com/2016/03/vegan-diets-and-irritable-bowel-syndrome-the-fodmap-approach/

This is great thank you!
  • Fat_Fighter87
    Options
    So what are you eating instead?

In the 3 days I have been on it I had had oats with almond milk and fruit for breakfast. Lunch has been jacket potato and beans or vegetable soup (which I later learnt has cream in it so fail on that!)
    Dinner have been meat substitutes so quorn chilli, Linda Macartney sausages and tonight I am trying the Quorn steak with a big salad
  • Fat_Fighter87
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    If the 1200 is new, I'd assume it is likely to be that, but if you are low on fat or protein that might be a problem. It's quite likely you don't need to be that low, and if you are exercising or active you will want to eat more for sure. If you want to give your stats we could comment.

I'm not 100% plant-based, but I'm moving that way (maybe) and trying to eat that way at the moment, and have done it at times in the past (Lent, and an experiment in November). I'm enough of a volume eater that I usually feel super satiated, although I need to make sure I'm including enough fat.

You don't need meat alternatives, although I personally enjoy tofu and tempeh (and don't really think of them as meat alternatives, just a different form of legume). Do you include other foods that have a decent amount of protein, like beans and lentils? Also, eggs are great if you are still eating them.

We have a vegetable and fruit challenge going elsewhere (Challenge section) that you might enjoy too.

What specifically are you eating?

I have been on and off MFP for a while and not really struggled with 1,200 calories until I cut meat out.

Hoping to go raw vegan at some point but for now I am eating the meat alternatives until I have learnt more about what foods to include, recipes etc. As a huge meat eater this was a big step for me to cut it out so in order to maintain this change I want to do it gradually. I am still eating eggs although in moderation (I used to eat them every day!)

See my above comment on another poster as to what I have been eating the past few days :)
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Protein can be very satiating, more so for some than others, so if you are cutting out meat that can be an issue. For me beans are very filling, non starchy veg are filling, potatoes and sweet potatoes can be very filling, nuts (in moderation) can even help, but you need to learn what works for you and it may take a bit.

How are your macros?
  • Fat_Fighter87
    Options
    Protein can be very satiating, more so for some than others, so if you are cutting out meat that can be an issue. For me beans are very filling, non starchy veg are filling, potatoes and sweet potatoes can be very filling, nuts (in moderation) can even help, but you need to learn what works for you and it may take a bit.

How are your macros?

My fat and Carbs are a lot higher then usual and my protein is lower then usual, although today I am pretty much on par with the recommended amount :) Yes so much to learn and play around with. Beans and lentils not good for my IBS...very windy much to the disgust of my other half! Sweet potatoes is a good shout I never thought of that. Pasta is OK for my stomach too and I really enjoy that!
  • sarahhauf09
    sarahhauf09 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Feel free to message me if you ever want to talk about being vegan/vegetarian! I’ve been vegetarian for almost 11 years, vegan for around 5 and would love to connect with you!
  • okohjacinda
    okohjacinda Posts: 329 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hi all!

3 days a go I decided to follow a vegan diet, however I quickly realised that cutting everything out all at once is virtually impossible! For now I have decided to cut out meat and I am cutting right back on dairy.

I am constantly hungry all the time (I have reservations as to whether 1,200 calories is enough for me but that is another question entirely) I have had a constant headache for 3 days and as an IBS sufferer I am also not getting on well with the meat alternative products.

Is this normal or am I dong something wrong?

I would really appreciate some MFP friends who are also on this journey to offer tips, hints and recipes :smile:

Thanks!

Going vegan all at once is not impossible unless you make it so which is what I drill in my head everyday to stay on track.

For the headaches you are gonna have to deal with them unfortunately (I am doing it too and going through them as well) or try to find a strong dose of medicine until they start subsiding (working out helps too)...for hunger...eat lots of beans and lentils (fiber and protein) eat lots of veggies and fruits, and stay away from refined sugar as much as possible (I got sick a few nights back eating a bowl of cereal)...stick with oatmeal alternatively...its more filling.

I did it two yrs ago also and let the withdrawal symptoms chicken me out of going vegan but not this time. I am so prepared.

For meat alternatives...start with Amy's tofu scramble and Sweet Earth's General Tso's Tofu(if you haven't already)...they are so delicious and what's helped me get over my dislike for tofu.

For burgers and meat try Boca or Gardein...they are good too and helps with the transition.

But if you don't really care for them then you can try to find other products...there are alot more out there than ever before.
  • whhuynh90
    whhuynh90 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    stay hydrated. take supplements. there are certain nutrients in meat that you will not get in a vegan/ vegetarian diet. do research as well. look up new recipes, or even modifying your old recipes to fit your new lifestyle, this way you can still enjoy some of the things you were used to eating. like meatless-meatloaf, or mashed potatoes but use a soy creamer (original), and earth butter or what ever. its fun to try out. support from family and friends does help, but some times you are on your own. family/ friends may try to sway you from sticking to your transition (sneaking meat/ whatever into your food). hopefully that is not the case for you!! :) Congrats on your lifestyle change to a happier/ healthier you!
  • Fat_Fighter87
    Options
    1st:
    Please stay away from the 1200 Calorie nonsense. Fads like this will leave you discouraged in the long run. Naturally you will loose some weight at first. You'll then seriously slow down your metabolism and start to gain. The more you work out the harder it will be to loose because you'll be in a battle with your own body and YOU WILL LOSE THAT FIGHT.

I was the last person in the world anyone would believe could go vegan but it happened a year and a half ago after I met an old friend who I was surprised he was still alive. He had such serious health and heart issues no one expected him to last more than a year back in 2014. He is now in amazing physical shape, off all his heart and BP meds. He suggested I read HOW NOT TO DIE and I did.

So many conflicting theories on weightloss - calorie deficit or what you eat? Meat is bad for you and so is soy (I was crippled with stomach cramps last night having eaten it, definitely not good for my IBS!)

Wow that's amazing about your friend! I have read and seen similar stories and I have no doubt a plant based diet is better in the long run. I am also a big animal lover so going back to meat isn't an option, just looking for a way to make it work for me and my stomach issues.

The book you recommended sounds awesome I will definitely give that a read, thanks!

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

How are your macros?

My fat and Carbs are a lot higher then usual and my protein is lower then usual, although today I am pretty much on par with the recommended amount :) Yes so much to learn and play around with. Beans and lentils not good for my IBS...very windy much to the disgust of my other half! Sweet potatoes is a good shout I never thought of that. Pasta is OK for my stomach too and I really enjoy that!

why would you follow a diet that makes your IBS worse?
  • Fat_Fighter87
    edited January 2018
    Options

How are your macros?

Funnily enough the only time my IBS stayed under wraps was when I was eating a low carb, high meat diet, however I really want to try to make vegan work for me due to my love of animals (I have had my eyes opened) and the long term health benefits.

This is only my fourth day so I'm still learning what foods to eat and what affects me. So far I have learnt that Soy is horrendous for me. Beans, lentils and pulses, dried fruit and large quantities of nuts and seeds affect me too, as well as certain fruit and veg.

It's sods law isn't it! I don't feel like 4 days is enough time to give it yet.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

How are your macros?

Funnily enough the only time my IBS stayed under wraps was when I was eating a low carb, high meat diet, however I really want to try to make vegan work for me due to my love of animals (I have had my eyes opened) and the long term health benefits.

This is only my fourth day so I'm still learning what foods to eat and what affects me. So far I have learnt that Soy is horrendous for me. Beans, lentils and pulses, dried fruit and large quantities of nuts and seeds affect me too, as well as certain fruit and veg.

It's sods law isn't it! I don't feel like 4 days is enough time to give it yet.

my husband found that a low carb, high fat diet as well as vastly reducing the amount of gluten he eats has all but cured his IBS, but then nuts and seeds don't bother him, so you have to find whats right for you.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Have you worked with a dietitian to identify trigger foods for your IBS? My sister did that and it made a HUGE difference in her life, and her issues were mainly some pretty specific foods (and for her cooking cruciferous vegetables).

A couple of vegan sites I respect:

http://www.theveganrd.com/

http://jacknorrisrd.com/

I also like the Unnatural Vegan if you do YouTube.
  • andfivesixseveneight
    Options
    Had you eaten Quorn before starting vegan? Some people are sensitive to it because it is made from mold. Head aches can be caused by food allergies/intolerances.
    Becoming vegan and cutting back to 1200cal while having IBS is a big change. A registered dietician could help you devise a diet that meets your specific needs.
  • rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have been on and off MFP for a while and not really struggled with 1,200 calories until I cut meat out.

And now you're struggling.
    So why did you try to fix what was not broken?
  • hikerAaron
    hikerAaron Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've tried to make the immediate jump to a vegetarian or vegan diet before and have always failed. This time I am determined to get to a vegan diet but I'm going to transition slower. I set my first goal as going to a an ovo-lacto diet by Feb 1st and and to a a vegan diet by April 1st. I'm also looking for friends on the same journey for mutual support and food ideas.