CLA Supplements

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm really surprised to find myself asking this question but I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried CLA supplements and been surprised by the results.

I must admit, I'm not a supplement man. I have an Omega 3-6-9 every day, a multivitamin on days when perhaps I eat less micronutrient-dense food, creatine & glucosamine sulphate when I'm focusing on powerlifting, and that's about it.

But lately I needed to get a MyProtein order over the mark for free delivery and there was a special offer on CLA. It was a bit of an impulse buy - I know it has 0 proven benefits.

That said, I'd been cutting for 5 weeks and it was all steady. In the three weeks since, I've not changed my calories or exercise at all, nor any other lifestyle factors. And yet my progress has just sped up a little and (I can't believe I'm saying this - I know it's rubbish) but my fat loss does seem to be more around my stomach. Traditionally for me that's the last place to go.

Has anyone else found it to be successful? Or is this just a coincidence?

Cheers,
OWC

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    oliverwnc wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm really surprised to find myself asking this question but I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried CLA supplements and been surprised by the results.

I must admit, I'm not a supplement man. I have an Omega 3-6-9 every day, a multivitamin on days when perhaps I eat less micronutrient-dense food, creatine & glucosamine sulphate when I'm focusing on powerlifting, and that's about it.

But lately I needed to get a MyProtein order over the mark for free delivery and there was a special offer on CLA. It was a bit of an impulse buy - I know it has 0 proven benefits.

That said, I'd been cutting for 5 weeks and it was all steady. In the three weeks since, I've not changed my calories or exercise at all, nor any other lifestyle factors. And yet my progress has just sped up a little and (I can't believe I'm saying this - I know it's rubbish) but my fat loss does seem to be more around my stomach. Traditionally for me that's the last place to go.

Has anyone else found it to be successful? Or is this just a coincidence?

Cheers,
    OWC

It's probably the bold, but it's also hard to control all the factors that influence weight loss, especially considering we dont' live in a metabolic chamber.

But yes, CLA has not been proven effective for increasing fat loss.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I work in a metabolic lab and often receive samples for testing and evaluation. I Guinea pigged myself and used CLA for 30 days. No measurable results other than some bouts of particularly rancid gas.

All correlation, no causative data.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I work in a metabolic lab and often receive samples for testing and evaluation. I Guinea pigged myself and used CLA for 30 days. No measurable results other than some bouts of particularly rancid gas.

All correlation, no causative data.

Sounds great for parties. I'm in!
  • Laurahenson29
    Laurahenson29 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just started taking CLA and the only thing I am noticing is that I feel fuller longer. I'm hoping for the fat loss around my gut... everything else has reduced except the tummy.

I'm hoping I don't get the bouts of rancid gas! lol