CLA's

Options
I just had a physical and my thyroid levels came back elevated. This happened once before, and I watched what I ate, worked out, and took CLA supplements, and it went back to normal. I told the doc we are TTC, and he said not to take the supplements for now. I know CLA's are found in grass fed animals. Can you tell me where I can find these products? Are there certain brands you like? Do they sell them at any grocery store, or do I need a Whole Foods? Thanks in advance for any help

Replies

• marieyoung07
    marieyoung07 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I order mine through bodybuilding.com
    They are a great company Well priced
    And if you order M-F the can usually ship the same day.
  • Laurahenson29
    Laurahenson29 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    whole foods definitely has grass fed animals. I find mine in my local grocery store in the organic section of meat. It will say "grass fed" on the label.
    Curious... why did the doc say not to take the CLA's? I just started taking them and I couldn't find any bad side effects upon my research.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    One DOESN'T need to supplement with CLA's since it's easily obtained through meats, cheese and dairy.
    For those who don't think side effects are an issue, the SELLER of the product likely doesn't have stringent quality control, like most supplements on the market. The majority of supplements in the market are manufactured cheaply and are by 3rd parties. There is NO FDA REGULATION. So what does that mean? The raw product can come from any country and doesn't have to be pure. That means, it can have contamination of other ingredients in them. And most manufacturers don't check for purity of raw material, so those ingredients and be in the product and not on the label.
    https://www.dsm.com/campaigns/talkingnutrition/en_US/talkingnutrition-dsm-com/2016/01/more_on_dietary_supplement_safety.html

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I just order them through Amazon. But I had to stop for a while, they seem to be giving me acid reflux.
    I'm curious though, if the Dr. specifically suggested not to take them, because you are TTC, why are you ignoring him? CLA is hardly a thyroid cure, and it is specifically on the no no list for pregnancy. Aside from possible nausea and fatigue, it can also cause liver issues tbat seem to be exacerbated with pregnant women.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/conjugated-linoleic-acid-cla