Worth buying a treadmill or just go to gym

Options
I was looking at treadmills..was thinking about the ProForm Pro 2000 but then thought just go to the gym. Its 7 minutes away. But the thought of doing it at home just sounds more appealing and "easier". Seems any treadmill I research under $1200 ALL have their "won't buy again" type reviews. Afraid to get any. Maybe I just answered my own question?

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Will you be using it? Do you think it's worth it? Maybe try going to the gym for a few weeks to see how you feel about using a treadmill consistently and if it can be a potential habit and to gauge the level of annoyance of having to go to the gym and if it's something that would end up standing in your way.

For me, personally, a treadmill was worth it. I live in a busy city, and it's annoying having to navigate around people and cars to walk. I don't like going to the gym and I don't find the treadmill boring, so it was a good investment for me and I'm happy with it - still use it 3 years later.

As a general tip, "won't buy again" reviews are more often than not exaggerated. Focus on the reviews that aren't too low or too high because they give a better and more objective idea about the purchase. "Perfect" reviews often come out of excitement about a thing working as it should without paying attention to shortcomings, and very bad reviews are either a result of an isolated incident (unless there are too many of them) or just overly dramatic.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Try looking for one second hand. Many people buy treadmills and end up not using them - you'd be surprised what you can find if you ask around.

If you can't find a used one, I suggest getting a guest pass to the gym and finding out if you like treadmills, and if you like gyms. For me, having a stationary bike at home means I never have an excuse not to exercise, but then a gym membership became important as I needed more equipment. My gym is very close, and 24 hour access, so it's as close to just working out at home as I could manage. But having to put on clothes and smile at people is still an effort some days! Try it first, see how you feel right now.
  • janeaustenruns
    janeaustenruns Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've done both used my home treadmill for almost 20 years and recently joined a gym. The treadmill saves the time of traveling to and from the gym, parking, etc. When my kids were younger, the home treadmill made it so I could get my runs in. Now they are older, I use the gym more. Also, where you put the treadmill makes a difference. I keep mine in our garage. But it gets hot here in Southern California, so it's harder in the summer to use it a lot. And then there's maintenance, space, noise, etc. I put a tv with cable and a dvd player (used in the past more) in front of the treadmill and have run up to 12 miles at a time on it. Do what works! Good luck!
  • Havanaohlala
    Havanaohlala Posts: 52 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    In the gym there are a lot of people who work on their goals, which is a big motivator for most people I know, including me. Actually I don't know even one person that works out consistently at home, even if they have gym equipment.

Also you can make (fit or wanting to be and working on becoming fit) friends in the gym which can keep you accountable and not skipping workouts. I can't live without a gym. :D
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I was looking at treadmills..was thinking about the ProForm Pro 2000 but then thought just go to the gym. Its 7 minutes away. But the thought of doing it at home just sounds more appealing and "easier". Seems any treadmill I research under $1200 ALL have their "won't buy again" type reviews. Afraid to get any. Maybe I just answered my own question?

do you not have the weather to just run outside?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    for ME, getting dressed and leaving to the gym is motivation. it puts me in the right mindset.

i tried an elliptical at home (poor fiance put it together, bless his heart) and i never liked it. now, it was a super cheap one, but i couldnt get into the right mindset to do it. I'd be constantly thinking of everything around the house that i needed to be doing, or the kids would need something, or the dogs would start running around me, or something.

I'll go to the gym. lol
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Outside is free.

And $1200 will buy many months of a gym
  • ChristinaMarieCrone
    Options
    I have had a treadmill for a few years now, and I feel lost right now because my outlets need to be rewired and I can't use it. I live in a very rural area on a busy highway that has a lot of logging trucks doing seventy to eighty miles an hour, so running outside isn't the safest option. Driving almost twenty miles to the closest gym is not going to happen on a consistent basis. I have five children that I teach at home, so driving to the park or a safer neighborhood really doesn't work out well either. My treadmill is the ProForm and I love it. I keep it in my bedroom because it is the only space I have for it. I don't get bored on it, I use the time like a meditation time. I will say that my son is 360lbs and 6ft6in and the treadmill seems to slow and drag for him. It is rated up to a much higher weight thought. That is the only problem that we have with it.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If you can find a home treadmill with a sufficiently large deck for under 1200, sure.

But the reality is most home treadmills have poor reviews because they're underpowered and have smaller decks, either more narrow, or too short or both.

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I just received a used treadmill for free from my mother in law. I quit the gym (mainly to save money) and bought a few more pieces of used equipment and set up a home gym. I've been working out at home almost every day since and I'm just in love with it, lol. I never thought I'd be able to be motivated to work out at home but I am now and I have a tablet that I can watch my netflix shows on. If you want to and think you actually will work out at home, I'd look at the used market. See if there's a store near you that sells 2nd hand equipment, you can usually try it out in the store to make sure it works well for you.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I bought an elliptical from Gold's Gym for under a grand and three years later it's still going strong. Honestly, I like having it at home because- no gym membership, I can watch TV while I run, I can hop right in the shower afterwards, and no commute when it's icy and icky out. Also, it's nice because I may not have an hour to go to the gym, work out, then go on to my next task, but I have 15 minutes at home in between laundry cycles or whatever, so I can hop on real quick and do a mini work out.

However, wait until summer to buy one! There are SO MANY treadmills for $50 and under at garage sales! Even if it only lasts a year, it was just $50! Heck buy two if you have the storage space so you have a spare. Or put out the word at work/church/club that you are looking for a treadmill and there's a good chance there is someone who will be happy to clear up some space in their house.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Snag one on Craigslist
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    Outside is free.

And $1200 will buy many months of a gym

Not only that but you won't be faced with wondering how in heck you are going to get rid of it when you don't want it anymore.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't buy one.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options

do you not have the weather to just run outside?

^^^^ That's my solution, run outside all year 'round. With the right clothing winter running can be exhilarating. I will skip a run if we have heavy freezing rain or the like but it will hit -40 around here occasionally during the winter.

If you really don't want to run outside in the winter my second choice (if your gym is only a few minutes away) would be to join the gym and use their machines. Gym quality treadmills are very expensive but, typically, are more enjoyable to run on than home one unless you buy a very expensive machine and you'll have access to their strength equipment as well.