Maintaining Elasticity

Hey guys, I was wondering... As you lose weight slowly and if you're in your mid twenties like I am, will your skin maintain it's elasticity once you get to your goal weight? Right now I'm feeling more energy and more attractive since I've lost 50+ pounds, but my skin is starting to look "loose" in my arms. Just a little though so far. Will this eventually even out so I look toned once I'm at my goal weight? Let me know what your experiences are and what's realistic to expect. Thanks guys!

Replies

• StrawberryHippyGreens
    StrawberryHippyGreens Posts: 62 Member
    edited January 2018
    @moosmum Oy. Not exactly the answer I was hoping for, but thank you for being honest and telling it like it is. Will my skin, if it does become very loose, eventually sort itself out on it's own naturally?
  • klkc2005
    klkc2005 Posts: 41 Member
    I'm 50 and have lost almost 50 pounds. I've lost it rather slowly and i try to use a good moisturizer all over most days. I am pleased to say that i have very little sagging. Good luck and remember that moisturizing and plenty of water are your best friends.
  • @AnnPT77 Thank you so much for giving a detailed explanation! Now I know what to prepare for and how to try and combat it.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    @AnnPT77 Thank you so much for giving a detailed explanation! Now I know what to prepare for and how to try and combat it.

@AnnPT77 is the best - I always listen to what she's got to say! You might also want to check out this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10453193/honest-loose-skin-thoughts-pics/p1
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,944 Member
    @AnnPT77 Thank you so much for giving a detailed explanation! Now I know what to prepare for and how to try and combat it.

@AnnPT77 is the best - I always listen to what she's got to say! You might also want to check out this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10453193/honest-loose-skin-thoughts-pics/p1

Aw, y'all are so sweet: Thanks!

Li'l ol' lady just likes to see people happily achieving their healthy goals, and thriving. :)
  • @moosmum1972 My mother is obese and my father is slender. He's Caucasian and my mom's African American. I'm 26. I figure since my dad's slender and I'm still young that I have a better shot? What do you think?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited January 2018
    As always @AnnPT77 is spot on.

What I would also add is: to get the best out of your genetics make sure you get plenty of protein ~.8g per lbs of lbm or mid BMI.

Both collagen and elastin are proteins that promote the elasticity of skin (as well as other things like veins, blood vessels and tendons), so making sure you are getting a good supply of protein. It will help you reach your genetic capability of recovery. (I think this is also why a slower loss may work better for some- better overall nutrition with higher calories.)

Exercise, helps with circulation, which in turn helps with cell turnover and improved skin health. Massage will do this also to a lesser extent. (JMHO)

Cheers, h.
  • StrawberryHippyGreens
    StrawberryHippyGreens Posts: 62 Member
    edited January 2018
    @middlehaitch Thanks. I've never paid attention to my micros, but I suppose it's time to start. As for exercise, I get plenty of it working as a house cleaner four days a week. Usually the average day is about 6 hours and I'm dripping sweat lol, so I do get a decent amount of cardio I think. I lose about 1 pound a week when sticking to my weekly calorie limit.
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    put the money together for the skin removal surgery. if you don't need it you have enough to really reward yourself for achieving your goal.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    genetics is really the determining factor, but the fact you are young will also help.

ive lost 103 pounds as of today. the majority of it from, 2014-2016. 2017 to now about 13 pounds. slow weight loss, exercise, all that good stuff helps.

i dont have any loose skin, and the only place that seems like it might when im done (i have about 50 to go) is my stomach. not much i can do about it. a place of loose skin is better than being fat.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    You're young so it should bounce back mostly. It takes time but if you are doing some resistance training that will really help.
  • @RunRutheeRun Yay! Glad to hear someone say that it's not totally unrealistic to expect it to "bounce back"!