Exercise Gain??

Options
thisisitnic
thisisitnic Posts: 56 Member
edited January 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Happy New Year!
So I started MFP last week and had my first weigh in today and I’ve gained 3lbs. I’ve started (at the same as MFP) walking to and from work 5 times a week (2 miles a day) and 3 times a week Joe Wicks HIIT Training. I’m not going to give up as that would be ridiculous but I was hoping for some positive reinforcement that this is normal ... and temporary? x

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Very normal. Very temporary. You’re putting additional stress on your muscles, which causes them to retain water. Give yourself another couple weeks and if you don’t start seeing a loss by then, it may be something wrong with your logging.
  • thisisitnic
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Very normal. Very temporary. You’re putting additional stress on your muscles, which causes them to retain water. Give yourself another couple weeks and if you don’t start seeing a loss by then, it may be something wrong with your logging.

Thank you ever so much. That’s a relief to hear x
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep, probably
  • thisisitnic
    Options
    Yep, probably

Thank you
  • The_Ta
    The_Ta Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you weigh yourself once per week, make the day before a recovery day. Drink plenty of water and try not to eat too much sodium.

You are probably seeing water weight for the reasons mentioned above. Muscle tissue swells with exercise stress. Drinking water helps with normal fluid retention. Extra sodium attracts water. Time of day can also affect weight.

Not mentioned is whether you are using the same scale since different scales can weigh differently. Finally....remember that weight should be viewed as a trend and not individual weigh-ins.

Hope this helps!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It could be water in your muscles...it could be just normal fluctuations...really, you only have 1 data point here which isn't even close to enough for meaningful analysis.
  • thisisitnic
    Options
    The_Ta wrote: »
    If you weigh yourself once per week, make the day before a recovery day. Drink plenty of water and try not to eat too much sodium.

You are probably seeing water weight for the reasons mentioned above. Muscle tissue swells with exercise stress. Drinking water helps with normal fluid retention. Extra sodium attracts water. Time of day can also affect weight.

Not mentioned is whether you are using the same scale since different scales can weigh differently. Finally....remember that weight should be viewed as a trend and not individual weigh-ins.

Hope this helps!
    The_Ta wrote: »

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for that. I’ll definitely make the day before a recovery day. I weigh using the same scales and it’s the same time every afternoon although I might start doing it in the morning x

• thisisitnic
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It could be water in your muscles...it could be just normal fluctuations...really, you only have 1 data point here which isn't even close to enough for meaningful analysis.

Ok thank you x
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,982 Member
    Options
    Yup, what the others have said. My body goes through several weeks (at least) of initial "extra" water retention. Since I'm prone to increasing my workout as soon as it isn't super difficult to complete it, this effect can take quite sometime to completely go away.
  • thisisitnic
    Options
    Yup, what the others have said. My body goes through several weeks (at least) of initial "extra" water retention. Since I'm prone to increasing my workout as soon as it isn't super difficult to complete it, this effect can take quite sometime to completely go away.

Thanka for taking the time to respond and let me know. I feel so much better now I’ve asked. I can see why people quit early on when it happens but having the forums on MFP is such a lifesaver x

• DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Do note that it isn't only at the beginning of a programme that you may see weight fluctuations. My scale showed an increase in 3 lbs this morning for absolutely no reason, and I am about 6 weeks in. I had a hard run last night and bang. It is really hard to not get discouraged, but this does seem to happen to everyone.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    DanerTee wrote: »
    Do note that it isn't only at the beginning of a programme that you may see weight fluctuations. My scale showed an increase in 3 lbs this morning for absolutely no reason, and I am about 6 weeks in. I had a hard run last night and bang. It is really hard to not get discouraged, but this does seem to happen to everyone.

and when you're due your period, when you ovulate, when you drink alcohol, when you eat a high sodium meal... yay for water weight!
  • thisisitnic
    Options
    DanerTee wrote: »

Thanks for sharing that with me. You guys are amazing on here x