Exercise after microdiscectomy

Options
I have been dealing with pain from sciatica/ herniated disk (l5/s1) for 5+ years. My pain doctor is sending me to a surgeon for a micro. I have previously seen the surgeon and he refused to cut on me, but my latest MRI shows that my herniation has gotten worse. I also have bad foot numbness in my right foot.
I practice and teach karate, and I am also into spin class, heavy lifting, and any other exercise that looks interesting / effective. I kept exercising the last 5 years because it hurt more to sit in a car for half an hour then it did to do a 45-minute spin class plus an hour of heavy lifting.
I have seen two different physical therapist, I have tried massage, acupuncture, inversion therapy, chiropractors and a few other things for the pain. I have been on every medication possible and right now am on around the clock dose of anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxers.
So my question is if I decide to go through with the micro how many of you guys have had it done? Did it get rid of the pain? How long was recovery time? What exercises are you no longer able to do? And anything else you think would be helpful for me.
I am only 28 years old and if I can't exercise at all I will be miserable the rest of my life.

Replies

• raygunn_viola
    raygunn_viola Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Ps herniation was from car accident, and the rest of my disks r strong and healthy.
  • SSpeakes
    SSpeakes Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I had it almost a year ago. My ortho, PT, and Neuro were all surprised I could walk bc it was so bad. The recovery was tough. The first week sucked. Won't even sugar coat it. It helped immensely though do it was worth it. I started back at the gym with a trainer in May. I had to wait til tax season ended and my schedule settled down.

I still have little tweaks of pain but nothing bad. I've had to have injections bc I do still have some hetniation but it doesn't stop me. I run, bike, bike, cardio at the gym and most recently have started lifting. I was so nervous about deadlifts but they are awesome. Core work will be your best friend. It's great for strengthening your back.

There's not been anything that I can't do. Like I said, every now and then I get a twinge from the sciatica but I stretch, take Aleve and press on. It's not stopping me. I've lost 40 pounds so far so I'm not limited in any way.
  • raygunn_viola
    Options
    Thank you for your response! Very encouraging
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 microdiscectomies and 2 revisions. I had a herniated disc at l5/s1. I ignored it for years until the pain in my foot was so bad that I could not sleep and I could not lift my foot. First surgery was successful but it turns out I was allergic to the dissolvable stitches, developed a massive infection and they had to go back in and revise the initial surgery/clear out the infection. It was smooth sailing with minimal back pain and just nerve pain about a month after that. 6 months later I turned the wrong way and heard a pop. I reherniated the disc. Had surgery again and developed another infection. Turns out I have a very rare allergy to whatever it is they used inside of my body to close me up. Had surgery once again to clear the infection. At this point I was left with no disc. Recovery the second time around was not as easy but I felt ok about 3 months later. It's been 5 years now. I exercise with a few limitations but can do pretty much anything I want. I waited too long and have permanent nerve damage that causes pain in my leg and foot, and I have a couple of toes that go numb. Even with it being such a mess of an ordeal I would do it again. The pain I feel now is nothing compared to the pain I was in before.
  • raygunn_viola
    Options
    Thank you for your story. Permanent nerve damage is one thing I really want to avoid
  • Fitnessmom82
    Options
    Thank you for your story. Permanent nerve damage is one thing I really want to avoid

Yes! Whatever route you go, make sure you don't wait too long!!
  • raygunn_viola
    Options
    I've already started going numb for an hour or two and then the feeling comes back. My husband wants me to wait but I don't think waiting anymore will do any good
  • Fitnessmom82
    Options
    I've already started going numb for an hour or two and then the feeling comes back. My husband wants me to wait but I don't think waiting anymore will do any good

If it were me, I would go for the surgery. If you have tried everything else, then you are right. Waiting won't do much good! Best of luck to you!! I remember how miserbale I was before I got it taken care of. I feel for you!
  • raygunn_viola
    Options
    Thank you! I don't expect to be completely pain-free but I have been in so much pain that any reduction will be good.
  • JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I had an emergency microdiscectomy. (L5-T1 [I have an extra vert.]) It was for a completely extruded disc with three pieces traveling down my spine. Loss of bladder/bowel control was imminent. I can't comment on the exercise following surgery because at the time (10 years ago) I didn't do any. But my recovery was wonderful. The pain (sciatica) was gone immediately. At the 2-week staple removal I felt fine but my leg was still numb. At 6 weeks, I felt 100%. The surgeon had to really twist and turn things to find a little residual weakness. Since then I have lost 130 lbs and become an exercise hound at age 51. I have been able to do everything I have set my mind to. My only issue is related to an arthritic knee. My back has been amazing and strong and given me no issues at all. The surgery was miraculous for me, and the recovery was a piece of cake--painless and complete. (Worst part was staple removal--that hurt like a bugger).

ETA: FYI I lift weights, swim laps for an hour at a time, ran 6 miles tonight. Currently working on achieving a pull-up and perfect push-up. :smile:
  • raygunn_viola
    Options
    Wow thank you for sharing! Glad it was a success
  • raygunn_viola
    Options
    Anybody else like to share?
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I had a microdiscectomy in Feb 2016. I had been suffering from a bulging disc for years. Once a year it would get so bad that i couldn't walk. I did various stretching, ice, ibuprophen and usually within a week i was fine. That last time though, i was on multiple narcotics that could barely take the edge off. I already had numbness in my foot from nerve damage due to the ongoing bulging disc. I did research and was so scared to do it because of all the stories and recovery issues I read. I walked out of the hospital about 2-3 hours after i woke up from surgery. I did not have to take one single pain med after i left. I walked a few miles the very next day. It was the best decision I ever had. I never had any pain again. i had no complications after surgery. I had to walk every day for a few weeks and was restricted from bending over. I think 3 weeks later the doctor cleared me and I could get back into my light routine. I didn't get back into working out until summer of last year not bc of my back but just due to laziness. Best decision ever.
  • raygunn_viola
    Options
    Wow that sounds great! I am glad it worked so well for u!