Whole food vegan for a year, can't lose, keep gaining

Options

Replies

• alexczajka3
    alexczajka3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I don't want an argument

I just would like to understand why you would make life so extremely difficult in terms of getting the nutrition you need and in terms of getting delicious food

is it belief based? I can certainly understand vegetarianism and that can still give plenty of options

but I don't get vegan at all

Why does it matter if someone chooses not to consume animal products?
    oh *kitten* off then

OP is asking for help on her losses, not looking to debate her belief system. She says that she's vegan for ethical reasons on the previous page. She's not here to justify herself to you.

Exactly this! Thanks guys :)
  • alexczajka3
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    AliceDark wrote: »
    You need to give any change 4-8 weeks before you change something again. Log your food as accurately as possible (that means logging everything, including cooking oils and drinks, and using a food scale if possible), try to be as consistent as possible over that time, and see what your weight does. IF, after 4-8 weeks, you're not losing at the rate you'd like, THEN you start looking for things to change.

However, you do need to be honest with yourself about how consistent you were over that time. The beginning stage is just data collection, and then you draw conclusions. If your data isn't good, you can't draw meaningful conclusions.

Thank you, I will stay strong and keep logging!

The beginning part really can be hard -- there's a little bit of a learning curve when it comes to learning how to log accurately. I promise, it's so worth it later! Once you get into the swing of things, it's really easy to make adjustments to your intake based on your results.

Have you found our plant-based group yet? If not, you should definitely check it out: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores

Brilliant! Thanks for making me feel motivated again :) I'm downloading the mfp app back ;)
  • mlbh613
    mlbh613 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good luck alexczajka - through friends that turned vegan and their incredible journey (they weren't even overweight) I was inspired to look into Dr. McDougall (not sure if we are allowed to post 'specific' references so excuse me if I've erred)....anyway....I tried it, without counting a thing and lost 10# in a month....I have slipped due to ????? and am starting over again. I found it satisfying as well. Hang in there and consider the other advice as well as 'know' that you are eating healthy and taking care of yourself while you are being patient for results...I know that results motivate but give yourself a pat on the back for making those healthy choices while you journey.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I found that some fat helps keep me happy. Half an avocado and 10 cashews as a snack, for instance. I don’t understand why, but I was able to lose weight adding in those foods. Also, 1200 is the bare minimum calorie level for women.
  • alexczajka3
    Options
    mlbh613 wrote: »
    Good luck alexczajka - through friends that turned vegan and their incredible journey (they weren't even overweight) I was inspired to look into Dr. McDougall (not sure if we are allowed to post 'specific' references so excuse me if I've erred)....anyway....I tried it, without counting a thing and lost 10# in a month....I have slipped due to ????? and am starting over again. I found it satisfying as well. Hang in there and consider the other advice as well as 'know' that you are eating healthy and taking care of yourself while you are being patient for results...I know that results motivate but give yourself a pat on the back for making those healthy choices while you journey.

Thanks! Is it the high starch diet? I was looking into it! Maybe will give it a go!
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    Ok can someone check my math but OP I think your BMI is 22.7. Why are you trying to lose weight, and how much more weight are you trying to lose?

I'm a tall girl and feel big now! Just want to lose 5kg, or at least stop gaining (which I've noticed I am constantly)

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your advice :)
  • alexczajka3
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Zoedogmom wrote: »
    Awfully low on the protein and fat. You can eat avocado right? Nuts? Fat doesn't make you fat. You need it. Just factor it into your daily calorie allowance. Ditto for the protein/grains. How about some quinoa and more pulses. You must be ever so hungry.
    I find when I am not losing weight and it is not just a plateau, it is because I am eating the same things, same calories... my body gets used to it and adjusts to that as new normal. Also, I may trick my eyes about the amount I am eating (like calling a large banana medium) when I am hungry and mad things are not progressing. Not you maybe, but me.

Like I said, i used to try and eat more protein but it was hard and i felt hungry then. I read it's hard to do when you're vegan and it's safer to eat less protein and more carbs. I changed it to high carb and low fat and I feel good and not starving, but despite feeling full after dinner I still want chocolate and peanut butter and biscuits! So I am really just trying to stop this craving
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Why is it 'safer' to eat less protein if vegan? It may be harder to eat high-protein; I'm ovo-lacto and it can be a challenge to meet my adjusted target some days (When I log my exercise and MFP gives me those calories breaking them down across the macros, I don't always get the post-exercise target, but I almost always get the pre-) but how is it safer?
  • alexczajka3
    Options
    Why is it 'safer' to eat less protein if vegan? It may be harder to eat high-protein; I'm ovo-lacto and it can be a challenge to meet my adjusted target some days (When I log my exercise and MFP gives me those calories breaking them down across the macros, I don't always get the post-exercise target, but I almost always get the pre-) but how is it safer?

I am not sure exactly, I've just read some opinions that high protein diets can be harmful in long term, so I've decided that I will just leave it completely since I struggle to even reach the targets!
  • mlbh613
    Options
    Yes, alex..... - McDougall is a :) high starch diet. Keep in mind, as others have said, everyone has their own unique plan...investigate, adjust where necessary and keep doing those 2 things until you find the one that works for your health and goals. Keep striving to thrive!!!!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I am not sure exactly, I've just read some opinions that high protein diets can be harmful in long term, so I've decided that I will just leave it completely since I struggle to even reach the targets!

Low-protein is also harmful. How do you define high-protein?
  • mlbh613
    Options
    Protein can be found in veggies and other plant sources such as quinoa....balance is important but % of protein varies with the individual's various health and age factors.

Dymen
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi Alex! I have a question for you this time.

My son is "almost" vegan and very impressed with your daily diet. He asked me to ask you how you manage to get enough B-12?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Vegans should supplement B12.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Without addressing everything in your original post and all comments since, if you are hungry and can't keep eating the way you are eating now, as it causes you to overeat the amount of calories, so you gain weight, then change the things you eat so you feel satisfied and so you can stick with at ( for starters ) the amount of calories it takes to MAINTAIN your weight. Then look at subtracting enough of your foods so you ar in a 200 calorie deficit. See how that goes until you feel comfortable with your foods and your satifaction ( not feeling hungry).
    It does take some work and adjusting to find out what works for you individually.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Honestly, it's less safe in my mind because of the slightly reduced bioavailability of vegan forms of protein. I don't usually have a trouble exceeding protein targets, though (but i'm on higher calories than some, which makes it easier). If anything, vegans should aim for 5-10% more imo.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    Did you actually weigh each of those items? Logging can be off by hundreds of points if you don't weigh your solid foods. Like your bananas - they are really calorie dense and can be a lot more than you think - medium is subjective. Weight of food isn't.

This might sound stupid, but I never know, should I weight the banana with skin or peeled? :#

weight everything,banana weight without the peel unless you eat the peel. apples weigh with the skin unless you dont eat the peel. with the apple you can weight it,eat it and then weigh the core and minus that from the first weight you got for the apple. so if the apple whole is 160grams and you eat what you want and the core is 20grams then what you ate was 140 grams so you log 140 grams. if you use any oils weigh them as well. everything adds up.its very easy to eat more than you think. no two pieces of fruit or anything else weighs the same even if similar in size. if you eat packaged food weigh it too. packaging can be off by up to 20%